Bands after spacers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hydr0

Bands after spacers?

#1 Post by hydr0 »

The last 5 days with spacers have been MISERABLE. Everyone has said (including my ortho) that spacers are the worst part, so I figured I would suck it up this week. I was not expecting constant pain the whole week, but I'm still taking loads of ibuprofen and excedrin. The spacers come out and my braces go on on Wednesday. I'm beginning to worry about the bands that are going on my 2nd molars - doubting that they're not going to be just as miserable as the spacers! Anyone have any insight for me? The pain has not let up all week, I can't take 30 months of this.

My bottom teeth feel terribly crowded right now. A central incisor extraction is in my future, but not until we are closer to putting those brackets on, since there's not enough room for them yet. Hopefully this will feel better once the spacers are out of there? Or at least, I'll get used to it? :(

klobird

Re: Bands after spacers?

#2 Post by klobird »

Hey Hydro--Bands are not bad at all. I think you will find everything will settle down about a week after the braces go on...if you are in this much pain the whole time, then something's wrong. Usually the pain totally goes away until your next adjustment. If you do have any pain after your adjustment, it usually only lasts about 3 days. Then nothing again until the next adjustment. It gets to the point that you want pain, so that you will know that your teeth are moving along...

I was one of the very lucky few--no pain at all with spacers, but braces are quite doable. :HugeGrin:

hydr0

Re: Bands after spacers?

#3 Post by hydr0 »

Thanks klobird. I like to think of myself as having a decent pain tolerance, but these spacers have me ready to cry. Good to know that it won't be like this the whole time I'm in braces.