Overbite vs overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Frog

Overbite vs overjet

#1 Post by Frog »

Hi,

I just got my braces 2 weeks ago. Apparently I have a moderate overjet and deep overbite. Can someone tell me what the difference between the two is? I looked online and still can't tell the difference.
Also, how long does the pain last after you have braces put on? My teeth are still very painful after 2 weeks, so I can't really chew anything, is this normal? The are fine if I am not eating.

BetsyBug

Re: Overbite vs overjet

#2 Post by BetsyBug »

From what I gather, the difference in overbite and overheat is that over bite measures the depth of your bite or the amount your teeth overlap and overjst measures how far forward your upper teeth forward I front of your lower teeth. I have a deep bite or overbite but I have very little overjst in fact m upper teeth tip backward into my mouth and have caused crowding on my lower arch:
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

wildpig

#3 Post by wildpig »

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Overjet-overbite.png

Picture worths a thousand words. Hope that helps ;)

kellyb

#4 Post by kellyb »

based on that illustration, i seem to have both overbite & overjet?

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

wildpig

#5 Post by wildpig »

there is a "normal" range for both. Normal overjet between 1-2 mm. Normal overbite between 2-3 mm. So I do suspect that most of us who need braces probably have both being abnormal, some with more of one than the other.

kellyb

#6 Post by kellyb »

ok noted. thanks for the explanation :)

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Frog

#7 Post by Frog »

Thank you everyone.

BetsyBug

#8 Post by BetsyBug »

I have a 5 mm or so overbite and no or negative overjet because my upper front teeth tip back toward my lower front teeth...this is my biggest problem causing all the jaw issues and everything.
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

maxhammer

#9 Post by maxhammer »

BetsyBug wrote:I have a 5 mm or so overbite and no or negative overjet because my upper front teeth tip back toward my lower front teeth...this is my biggest problem causing all the jaw issues and everything.
can they intrude the teeth to fix the overbite and flair them to fix the overjet?

hydr0

#10 Post by hydr0 »

maxhammer wrote:
BetsyBug wrote:I have a 5 mm or so overbite and no or negative overjet because my upper front teeth tip back toward my lower front teeth...this is my biggest problem causing all the jaw issues and everything.
can they intrude the teeth to fix the overbite and flair them to fix the overjet?
I think that is what my ortho is planning on doing. My top teeth tip inward, but cover my bottom teeth almost entirely.
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

scully

#11 Post by scully »

I have a deep bite. I don't know the difference between overbite and overjet, but as for the pain... I had soreness for several weeks after the braces were initially put on. Granted, the soreness during week three was certainly not as bad as day one. Because I wear rubber bands 24/7 to pull my back teeth together and bite turbos in the front to keep my bite open in the back, I have certain teeth that are prone to being a little sore. However, this far in it's really a dull kind of pain. Nothing I can't ignore. I actually look forward to the soreness because it means my teeth are moving! yay!

Mulder: Did you bring enough ice cream to share with the rest of the class?
Scully: It's not ice cream... it's non-fat tofutti rice dreamsicle.
Mulder: Ugh... I bet the air in my mouth tastes better than that.

BetsyBug

#12 Post by BetsyBug »

The plan isn't to intrude my front teeth but to extrude my molars to open my bite. Right now I have bite turbos behind my front teeth keeping my molars from closing this is supposed to encourage them to come together. I can tell a little bit of difference already as its getting easier to chew and I occasionally feel teeth scrape together when I chew and when I first got them had no teeth touching back there.
Depending on how long it takes my molars to come together is how long the turbos will be on there. I think they can also use elastics to pull the molars together as well.
then the plan in to pull out my front teeth and widen my arch and create a proper overjet to make sure that the uppers don't interfere with the lowers anymore.

My ortho told me that when he builds my retainers when I am done it will have a bite plane to keep me from clenching my teeth and to make sure my front teeth don't decide to pull back again. (i will have a hawley for night time and an essix for day)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story