day one with Damons.. the bite turbos are driving me insane!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashenk224

day one with Damons.. the bite turbos are driving me insane!

#1 Post by ashenk224 »

Hello everyone! I just got my Damons (not the clears, not sure what model they are) on this morning and at first I wasn't having any pain.. just some minor discomfort but now they're really starting to hurt. Plus the bite turbos (I think that's what they're called) have made eating almost impossible. How do you manage doing that? My treatment time is 26 months, I hope it doesn't last that long though! I finish nursing school two weeks prior to when I'm supposed to get my braces off and would like them off before I graduate. So we'll see! I don't get my archwire replaced until June 6th, has anyone had any noticeable results during the first archwire?

BetsyBug

Re: day one with Damons.. the bite turbos are driving me ins

#2 Post by BetsyBug »

I'm a little over three weeks into my treatment with turbos as well. I didn't think I was ever going to get used to them either. But I can Truely say that today is significantly better than day one. I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't notice them at all but I don't think about them constantly anymore. Oh and you will figure out how to chew. :)
Hang in there!
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

ashenk224

#3 Post by ashenk224 »

Oh thank god because I've only been able to have smoothies today and I'm starving! haha

elainek

#4 Post by elainek »

Hi!! I'm only one week in...dont have bite turbo's but I do have molar buildups which stop me being able to chew too...not fun. I found mashed potato, soup, yogurts, all liquidy stuff were best...definitely stay away from anything you have to bite into (even toast!) because it just takes so long and hurts that its just not worth it. Anything you can mush is a go-er!

It does get better...you'll figure out to chew soon enough. I didn't believe this but it's true...you may look totally strange doing it but who cares! Oh and ice-cream...stock up on tons of ice cream!

Good Luck...hope you feel better soon

ashenk224

#5 Post by ashenk224 »

I made sure to stock up on all those things haha. My other problem is the lisp I now have because of the turbos. I'm hoping that goes away soon because talking is driving me insane!

Thanks for the responses!

BetsyBug

#6 Post by BetsyBug »

My lisp hasn't gone away completely, but it's much better then it was. I have learned to use the back of my turbos like I would the back of my teeth in the formation of most sounds. Some sounds still sound a little funny to me but everyone else says they don't notice. Just keep practicing the more you talk the faster it will come.
As far as food, I pretty much am biting whatever is okay that isn't on the no no list now. Once the initial pain subsided I was mostly able to chew. I did eat alot of soup and things of a softer nature for the first couple of weeks. Still not going to try to bite into a big ole sandwich though.

I know you will get used to the turbos soon (doubt you will fall in love with them though.) I am hoping that I don't end up with them for a terrible long time. The ortho said 12 weeks best case scenario but I'm expecting probably more like 18 weeks. Oh well. Such is life, gotta get that deep bite fixed somehow. :)
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

ashenk224

#7 Post by ashenk224 »

Even 18 weeks isn't bad... I asked my ortho how long I had to keep mine on and they said possibly up to a year!

BetsyBug

#8 Post by BetsyBug »

Im really not holding my breath. I wouldn't be surprised if they stay on indefinitely. I haven't seen any difference in the size of gap between my molars. They might be a little closer in the very back. Oh well they aren't as bad as I originally thought they would be. The only issue I am having is feeling like I can't brush well between them and it seems like my gums are a little puffy feeling not bad and not so much that it's hurting but just like I'm not keeping it as clean as I could. Maybe a water pick would help.
Elizabeth
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

smilingoutloud22

#9 Post by smilingoutloud22 »

BetsyBug helped me get through the worst of my first two weeks with words of encouragement about the turbos!

I'm now going on one month of braces tomorrow - cannot believe it! The lisping had me second-guessing my decision to get braces the first day. Couldn't imagine speaking to colleagues, clients, vendors and the endless list of other people I talk to all day while working in public relations. Words of inspiration from BetsyBug and others really pulled me through - now I'm talking up a storm (still lisping a lot more than I'd like) but trying to ignore it and keep practicing.

Hang in there! We'll all get through this together. :HugeGrin:

ashenk224

#10 Post by ashenk224 »

Well Betsy, I hope you get yours off sooner rather than later! And I'll definitely check out a water pick. I know how you feel Smiling, I'm a nursing school student so I'm talking to professors and patients all day and then I bartend at night.. so yeah I just need to get used to the lisp. The ortho assistant told me to go home and read the newspaper out loud and try to read out loud as often as possible so I can get used to the turbos and lessen my lisp. Best of luck to you!

wildpig

#11 Post by wildpig »

I have bite turbos and they did feel strange the first day but after that I think my chewing pattern adjusted to it. I don't really even notice the turbo bites anymore.

bakejoy

#12 Post by bakejoy »

I am on my first wire as well and am anxious to see some change. I know this is a slow process, but I keep finding myself checking my teeth to look for any sign of movement. What wire do you normal see change by?

tmroy79

#13 Post by tmroy79 »

I am on my first wire still and seeing all kinds of change. I think it varies from person to person.

trisportgirl

#14 Post by trisportgirl »

From what I've read, lots of people see fairly significant change in the first few weeks even. Take some pictures now so you can compare later - I love looking back at the photos from when I first got my braces on, and WOWEEE what a difference! My whole mouth looks different, and I'm only 5 months in!
Braced on November 1, 2011
Debanded on November 9, 2012
Permanent retainers top and bottom + Hawley top

auco99

#15 Post by auco99 »

I seriously don't see how people can live with the bite turbos. #1 is my awful lisp, which I assume will get better, however #2 is eating, and I can't imagine that is going to get any better. Maybe my overbite is worse than most but I can't eat anything. Tonight I had smushed up hot dogs and smushed up beans, and even that was hard to eat. My ortho offered to take the ones off behind my front teeth and build some on my molars. I assume that would help with the lisp, but would that even help with eating? So depressed. I didn't want to talk to anyone today, not even my wife, and I feel so bad about that. Just so down.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12