How does rotating the teeth really work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roxie2519

How does rotating the teeth really work?

#1 Post by roxie2519 »

My Ortho.. put three extra small wires around three of my teeth , and then she twisted it. She claims that this will rotate my teeth. What do you call this ? :?: :Questions:

tmroy79

Re: How does rotating the teeth really work?

#2 Post by tmroy79 »

I was wondering this my self. I have two molars that are almost sideways that need to be rotated. They haven't moved yet and I am two months in.

jem

#3 Post by jem »

I think rotation is achieved by judicious placing of the brackets and refined by use of rectangular profile archwires which fill the "lumen" in the bracket. I have a rotated canine which has seen no movement in 3 months. This may be partly due to the fact that I have a sectional brace and there was a bracket on only the adjoining lateral incisor. I have now had brackets added to the premolars and am hoping to see some untwisting of the canine even with a 0.014 wire. However, I expect I will need a thicker rectangular profile wire to complete the job.
Jem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

ashesgap

#4 Post by ashesgap »

roxie2519 wrote:My Ortho.. put three extra small wires around three of my teeth , and then she twisted it. She claims that this will rotate my teeth. What do you call this ? :?: :Questions:
I'm pretty sure those are wire ties, they are able to apply more consistent pressure, longer.
I had a premolar that was turned quite a bit and ended up with lingual buttons. One button on the back of the premolar, one on the first molar and a power chain connected to the two. The molar didn't budge while rotating the premolar. Orthos have all sorts of tricks to move and rotate stuff.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

roxie2519

#5 Post by roxie2519 »

my teeth looks like yours, I am worried because I've noticed a difference, my tooth moved too far forward, it stands out more.. I am not sure If this is the right thing, she is a Dentist, not an Ortho :|

bakejoy

#6 Post by bakejoy »

roxie2519 wrote:
> my teeth looks like yours, I am worried because I've noticed a difference, my tooth
> moved too far forward, it stands out more.. I am not sure If this is the right thing,
> she is a Dentist, not an Ortho :|

roxie, you may want to seriously start looking for an Ortho. It can take years to undo/redo poorly done brace work. I'm not trying to insult your dentist, I'm sure she is great at the job she has, but Ortho's have years more of training in tooth and jaw movement.

BBQ Grill

#7 Post by BBQ Grill »

This was how my rotation went...1 month...nothing....2nd month nothing... 3 rd month nothing.... Than BAM! It moves on the 4 th month..

GettingStraight

#8 Post by GettingStraight »

Same for me, except I had 10 months of very little movement before things moved in the 11th month.

lau

#9 Post by lau »

does anyone have before and after pictures of a rotated tooth?
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

jem

#10 Post by jem »

Lau,

I hope I will have in a few months time!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Zaera

#11 Post by Zaera »

Like ashesgap, my orthodontist is using lingual buttons to rotate a few of my bottom teeth. Two adjustments ago, they glued a button to the back of one of my teeth, similar to how they put the brackets on in the beginning. They then put an elastic on it and then tied the elastic to the archwire with what looks like a metal ligature. It's designed to rotate the tooth in the direction of the metal ligature (whichever side of the tooth it is tied to because it pulls on the elastic). At my most recent adjustment, they added a button and the same configuration to the tooth next to it, removed the ligature and elastic from the previous tooth, but unfortunately left the button in place.

So far I'm not a big fan of this rotation process. It has been the most painful part of having my braces thus far. The rotated teeth become extremely sensitive and there is obviously a lot of pressure on the teeth next to them. The buttons also tend to tear up the tip of my tongue and I had to learn to speak carefully once I had them.

I do have pictures of the buttons after both adjustments and the before/after positioning for the first tooth they rotated. I'll see about uploading them sometime soon.

musiclady2340

#12 Post by musiclady2340 »

Not sure how it works, but it does for me. Had one bottom tooth to be rotated and it now is. It wasn't quite in the correct place but moving forward with a new bracket and hooking into the main brace wires got it in place. I am 2 years into treatment and have learned to trust the experts. There is no way to tell how long something may take. different for each person. Just keep believing. :tingrin:

lau

#13 Post by lau »

Hey everyone- went for an adjustment yesterday and she put the flexible wire on all my teeth behind my archwire (so there are two now) and she twisted it. Ay how it hurts! @>@ but she says its to rotate my tilted teeth. I am on my way finally!
My story + progress pix

roxie2519

#14 Post by roxie2519 »

Thanks guys,looks like is working !

lau

#15 Post by lau »

Roxie- can you post a picture? When did you see movement?
My story + progress pix