Anyone else accidentally bite lips or inside of cheeks?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

windycitycassie

Anyone else accidentally bite lips or inside of cheeks?

#1 Post by windycitycassie »

Hey all. :)

I don't have braces at the moment, although I had them as a teenager. Have a mild Class III (underbite) which was 'corrected' and my teeth meet end to end now. The teeth did move back some since they were originally corrected to not look like an end to end bite.

Anyone else accidentally bite their lips or the insides of their cheeks a lot? I do and it is annoying and painful - on top of it, this often results in an ulcer where I bite. By often I mean I do it weekly or more. I have to bite or teeth marks on my lower lip at the moment, directly where the canines are.

Will anything fix this?

udubdave

Re: Anyone else accidentally bite lips or inside of cheeks?

#2 Post by udubdave »

I used to do that sometimes, not a lot though. I think it was because my bite was slightly crooked, hoping my braces will fix that issue.

loradora

#3 Post by loradora »

I bit the inside of my cheeks many times when I had braces.

TMJJill

#4 Post by TMJJill »

I actually have ridges on the inside of my cheek from biting on it. The ridges move around as my teeth adjust with the braces.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

roxie2519

#5 Post by roxie2519 »

I just did that two nights ago. My entire left cheek was hurting so bad! It felt like a bunch of bees had stung my face! I didn't know what happen utill later lol

BellaBraces

#6 Post by BellaBraces »

I sometimes do that. I have tried Bonjela which seems to help a bit but stings like heck when you first put it on.

Crazy4Snow

#7 Post by Crazy4Snow »

All the time! Still, even after a year I do it. It's a pain, no doubt.

I also have a bad habit of not bringing my uppers and lowers together, they're always just a tad bit apart so I find that natural mouth suction will bring my cheeks in between them and when I do go to clinch them down I bite my cheeks. O.u.c.h

My story in this forum:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38942

Braced: 4/7/2011
Metal Upper & Lower
Sentence: 18-24 months
Removal Date: 9/4/13

DrJasonKTam

#8 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Often times, incorrectly aligned teeth can cause the biting of cheeks. In particular, many patients will find that if there upper 2nd molars are tipped out towards the cheek more than they should be, biting of the cheeks becomes quite common.

During treatment, biting of the cheeks can occur as you are not used to how your teeth should be biting together. It should not occur at the end of your treatment after you have been accustomed to the position of your teeth.
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

wildpig

#9 Post by wildpig »

Before braces, I bite the bottom cheek on either side right under the canine at least once a month if not more. When it happens, my life for that whole wk is miserable. that has decreased considerably since braces. And when it does, it's a lot less severe. that was one of my hope is that braces would fix it.

I used to bite the inside cheeck in the back all the time before my wisdom teeth was removed. Now only happens like maybe once or twice a yr and it's nowhere as bad when it does happen.

I know we all like the aesthetic appeals but for me fixing the bite problem is actually one of the major objectives of braces.

nifer237

#10 Post by nifer237 »

Not biting of lips or cheeks, but for some reason, I get those horrible cracks in the corners of my mouth and it's horrible. It's only ever happened since I've had braces, so I have to use a lot of extra lip balm. I'm wondering why that is.

windycitycassie

#11 Post by windycitycassie »

Thanks for the kind replies. :) I don't have braces at the moment, but due remember some rubbing when I had them ages and ages ago!

Currently I tend to bite the insides of my mouth in the lower lip area quite often - I suppose that makes sense due to the Class III. Also, it is just one side of my cheek that gets bitten occasionally, which is the only side I can bite down all the way, so maybe something is slipping.

Good to hear that it will hopefully reduce to some degree with either braces and/or jaw surgery, though.

Sita

#12 Post by Sita »

Before I got braces, not so much. After.... I wake up several times a night from the pain of my biting. Ridges have already formed on the insides of my cheeks from biting and I have had numerous horrible sores from biting. Really hoping it gets better soon.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

tfischer

#13 Post by tfischer »

I bite (by accident) my cheeks often....

xanidu2012

#14 Post by xanidu2012 »

Since I've just gotten braces for the 2nd time yes I have accidentally bitten my lip/inside of cheek and not to mention my tongue also (ouch) :D I just try to be a little more conscious of what I'm doing. It works some times :D

Felis

#15 Post by Felis »

I was biting my cheek all the time before my braces; my top 2nd molars tilt out towards the cheek, and I would have ridges where my top and lower were meeting against the skin. Funnily enough, I haven't bitten myself yet since getting braces. To be fair though, it's early stages yet since I'm still not exactly on food that requires chewing!