buttons are evil!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anngie27

buttons are evil!!

#1 Post by anngie27 »

I have buttons on the lingual side and they are killing me! I can't get the wax to stick to the top one on my right side so that is cutting up my tongue pretty bad. Do they have to be so sharp??

klobird

Re: buttons are evil!!

#2 Post by klobird »

I had those also Anngie and they started cutting up my tongue too. (Mine were called lingual cleats). I couldn't seem to remedy it. So, I told the ortho assistant and she just shaved them off!! I was surprised! I guess some bands just come with them on, and I never needed them...doesn't hurt to ask what you can do about them...

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

Yes the buttons are awful. I had two of them and I swear it was like they bit me every time I ate something. It's weird cause they're shaped like cute little mushrooms, so you don't imagine they'll be so mean. Eventually you kind of get used to them, and every once in a while you'll forget about them. I had mine for about six months, and practically kissed my ortho when he said they were ready to come off. I used regular wax, a really big gob just mashed onto the button. It was kind of a big lump, but better than then the button being imbedded in my tongue.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

sjay32

#4 Post by sjay32 »

I had the same problem! I have the buttons on all four of my bands. I was able to get the wax to stick but it became a hassle, especially when I forgot a few times and ended up eating some... :/ Haha. I told the assistant about it and I guess I'll be needing them later because instead of shaving them down, she put ligatures around all four. I personally think it helped sooo much, and I don't really notice them anymore.! :)

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

So are we talking about the molar band pieces or "lingual buttons"? Mine were the buttons, and they're not on a molar band. Not sure which are worse.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

klobird

#6 Post by klobird »

I don't think mine were buttons--they were lingual cleats for elastics--I'm not sure how that would work. Mine were rectangular with hooks on each side--on both inner sides of my teeth. Those hooks against my tongue were miserable, and I couldn't get wax to stay on them either. I am sooooo glad they're gone!

ashesgap

#7 Post by ashesgap »

Klo that is exactly why I have said I have no idea how lingual braces people survive. All those different pieces inside? No way, I'd probable starve. Cleats, buttons, turbos and even molar build-up....They're exactly why new braces wearers say they don't think they can do it. The brackets are the easy part, it's all the accessories that suck.
29 years old
3-15-10 got braces
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
4-9-12 Deband!

Noni

#8 Post by Noni »

I had lingual buttons on my molar bands and it cuts my tongue and was bleeding , it hurts every time I eat or when I even talk specially with my quad helix upper expander .
it really kills .

3 days with the pain and then couldn't really stand it , I called the clinic and my ortho shaved them down and they became smooth and not hurting at all .

Braces are painful by itself so whenever there is something discomfort you just call the ortho to fix it , It wont take 5 minutes .

Quad Helix Expander and Braces to correct unilateral posterioor crossbite (TMJ treatment ). 6 months
Braces journey : 11 months 3 weeks (from 12 march 2012 to 3 march 2013)
My Story and Progress Update

hydr0

#9 Post by hydr0 »

I have lingual buttons - 4 of them. They suck. They put ligatures around mine, which makes them not so sharp.

I've had wax on mine constantly, and they're not so bad. It IS possible to get wax on them comfortably, it just takes some trial and error. I've noticed that more wax is definitely not better - it just makes it more bulky and less likely to stick. You want as little wax as possible. I roll wax (not the silicone kind) into a ball about 1/8 inch in diameter, position it directly on the button, and smush it down around, then smooth it down with my tongue or finger.
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

anngie27

#10 Post by anngie27 »

wow, i didn't know they could put ligs on buttons. i wish they would have done that in the first place. I tried wax too, but then noticed that it was coming off while talking and I didn't want to swallow it. So I ended up toughing it out for about 8 days or so and now things are better.
Thanks for the help

xanidu2012

#11 Post by xanidu2012 »

Hi new to the site. I posted in the brace story forum. Sorry should have posted here. I've been searching all over the internet to find out what in the world are"buttons". This is my 2nd time having braces and back in the 70s I never heard that word before. The buttons are painful my tongue is taking a beating lol. I see how you all have dealt with these buttons. I haven tried the wax but I will tonight. Glad I'm not the only one who is having a hard time with " buttons".

anngie27

#12 Post by anngie27 »

I cant believe i am saying this, but the buttons r no longer bothering me. The wax wasnt sticking all of the time so i decided to suck it up. After a couple of days of swollen tongue and funny talking, i guess things toughened up.
Still cant wait to get rid of them since i know flossing and cleaning would be easier

xanidu2012

#13 Post by xanidu2012 »

These things are evil :-= I just spent I don't know how long unwrapping food that got stuck around them :-+

anngie27

#14 Post by anngie27 »

I am so happy!! I just got my buttons removed yesterday! Finally just have "regular" braces and no buttons on the lingual sides. It feels great!
Brushing and flossing are so much easier!

cavomington

#15 Post by cavomington »

Can anyone link a picture of these buttons? I can't find one.