Eating with wax?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

Eating with wax?

#1 Post by jem »

One of the brackets recently added to my premolars has been causing some soreness to the inside of my cheek recently , probably because I have not kept well enough hydrated over the last couple of days. I put some wax on last night which helped ( when I finally got it to stick!) but should I then eat my breakfast with it in or should I take it out? I decided I did not fancy eating the wax for breakfast so I took it out but my cheek was a little sore again after eating. Do you manage to eat and keep wax in place?

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

smilehope

Re: Eating with wax?

#2 Post by smilehope »

I've needed quite a lot of wax so far on the wire ends. My bottom teeth are being brought forward so I guess they needed to leave them a bit long to allow for that. Come to think of it, I haven't used wax the last couple of days so maybe things are on the move!

I usually leave wax on to eat, because eating seems to make the wires hurt more. Sometimes it's there at the end of the meal and sometimes it's not. I did have visions of it all forming into a big blob in your stomach, but I decided not to worry about it - comfy cheeks much more important!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

Kirsten2011

#3 Post by Kirsten2011 »

Hi there,
I've only tried eating with wax once, and then remembered that i just didnt like the idea of wax mixing with my food :FeelSick: So I've stopped doing that ages ago.
But I will admit that the wax is a blessing when it comes to those very painful brackets, and also when a wire protrudes at the back. I literally have my cheeks chewed up again because for the last week, my bottom wires have moved back so much, that they are sticking out at the back and stuck in my cheek ie everytime i move my mouth the wire then rips out of my cheek :ThumbsDown: Not cool!! No wonder I have had a migraine for just over a week now :cry: My next appt is next week Tuesday and i should take time to go and see them to just get this wire trimmed.... but I haven't yet. Must be a sucker for pain :crazy:
Must say I am looking forward to these braces coming off, I think its another 5 months or so. Yippee!!!

kellyb

#4 Post by kellyb »

so far i have used wax only a few times in the first week of my treatment. i have always taken it off before i eat.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

jem

#5 Post by jem »

Yes, I was surprised I needed wax again. The new brackets on my premolars had not been a problem. I went on a long bike ride on Sunday and probably got quite dehydrated.For some reason I did not have my usual glass of water at my desk yesterday and that probably made matters worse, so that I was quite sore last night. I took the wax off at lunchtime today and my cheek feels a lot better, so I will leave the wax off. Of course, all the poking about near the end of my wire to get the wax to stick has now made my gum sore. Happy days!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

deeley

#6 Post by deeley »

Just discovered the blessing of wax. Relief!

hydr0

#7 Post by hydr0 »

I eat with wax in. I have 6 blobs of wax pretty much all the time - lower molar hooks, and 4 buttons. Usually I'm only missing the wax on my upper buttons by the time I'm done eating. If I feel it dislodge I'll spit it out, otherwise I don't worry about it. I've eaten plenty of wax in the last 3 weeks, I am sure.

I heard somewhere that there's plenty of wax in chocolate - your body is probably pretty able to digest it.
Female, 30, USA. Clarity uppers, metal lowers. Left upper premolar extracted 3/20/12, Brace Day 3/28/12, left central incisor extraction 7/30/12. Sentenced to 30 months.

ohdakotah

#8 Post by ohdakotah »

I've only eaten with wax one time, during a school lunch.. it was barely noticeable for me, and a lot more comfortable than eating without them. xo

MisterChris

#9 Post by MisterChris »

I have had braces on my lowers for eight months now and on my uppers for two months. With my lowers I needed to use the wax on and off for a couple of months and when I got the uppers I only needed it for a week or so. I was also hesitant about eating with it on and at first would remove it before eating but eventually got good at wearing the wax securely and being extra careful about chewing in the areas with the wax. I only had one occasion where my wax was missing after a meal and I didn't notice any ill effects. I am 100% certain that orthodontic wax is considered "food grade" and while it likely doesn't provide any nutrition it is completely harmless if ingested.

Loztredders

#10 Post by Loztredders »

I have only had to use wax twice so far one spot, but took the wax off to eat as I didn't like the thought of chewing on it with my food :mrgreen:

trisportgirl

#11 Post by trisportgirl »

I haven't needed wax for a while, but I wore it pretty much full time for the first few weeks, and left it on while I was eating. Usually it was still there when I finished, but then it would come off when I brushed my teeth after the meal and I would reapply and behold until the next meal. Wet Kleenex or paper towel also works well if you find the wax annoying or can't get it to stick properly.
Braced on November 1, 2011
Debanded on November 9, 2012
Permanent retainers top and bottom + Hawley top

DorkieDiva

#12 Post by DorkieDiva »

I rarely have to use wax, but when I do I forget about it so I've eaten with it on. Sometimes it's still there after a meal. Sometimes it isn't. Like hydr0, if I feel it dislodge I spit it out. I never really think about it.

MeMeMe321

#13 Post by MeMeMe321 »

Does wax help the soreness and prevent the braces from rubbing? :(

xanidu2012

#14 Post by xanidu2012 »

Wax :lol: what a wonderful word. Before I started using it I was a :crazy: person. But I take my wax off while eating. That's when I can eat :D but once I'm done and finish brushing I immediately put a new piece back over the bothersome wire/bracket . I find it not too appetizing :D

Felis

#15 Post by Felis »

I can only really knock the wax off with brushing! (Hope I'm not being too rough on the braces by packing it on). It's too painful to eat without the wax for me right now; the motion slowly tears my skin :(