Do you think this is wrong of me?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jerseygirl

Re: Do you think this is wrong of me?

#16 Post by Jerseygirl »

Thanks Chris! Very encouraging! As for the elastics - how do you talk with the 'box' position of bands? Also - how does your ortho say she will keep your bite closed after you are debraced? This is a concern of mine - since I don't know how my bite opened to begin with, so it seems that it's possible it could open again. I've posed this question to other orthos and they say it could very well open again after braces come off.

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

ArchWired28

#17 Post by ArchWired28 »

Jerseygirl
this topic was discussed here earlier, you can use the search tool if you'd like. It is sometimes challenging to keep the corrected open bite closed. It can open even after the surgery I was told. I think about 70% of closed open bites eventually relapse, even with the retainer wear. But don't let this stop you from getting braces. Even if your open bite will eventually relapse (which it may not), this process takes time. And don't forget about the other corrected bite issues that will not relapse.

Why the bite opens midlife, may be because of the TMJ. Have you had your TMJs analyzed? Maybe do this before getting braces. If there is any degenerative process in your TMJs, your orthodontist should know about it I think.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

Jerseygirl

#18 Post by Jerseygirl »

THanks - I've spent thousands of dollars over the years having my TMJ looked at, MRI'd etc. THere is no damage in there at all, no arthritis etc. It's thought to be all muscular due to my poor bite. It's also attributable to general stress.

In speaking to ortho tonight he said he thinks my open bite is in part open due to my back teeth not meeting properly and if they are straightened and one tooth is pulled out further to meet with tooth below my bite will close some on it's own. Which is great news.

I agree - I really don't care if my bite reopens, I just want my teeth to line up better than they do now on sides as well as straighten out top and bottom front. And that is guaranteed. :)

ArchWired28

#19 Post by ArchWired28 »

I hear you! TMJ stuff is no fun :( Mine shows no structural damage at all, but causes lots of troubles nonetheless. They said my crossbite was the cause and the dental bridge just pushed me to the edge. Should've had braces as a teen. But maybe it is not too late.

By the way, if your bite is normal but opens again - you can always do veneers or crowns on the front teeth to close it. It would be only a cosmetic fix, but if your bite is otherwise normal, that may be acceptable. If you want of course.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

Jerseygirl

#20 Post by Jerseygirl »

That's a good idea about the veneers! Hopefully I hit the lottery by then! :) lol

MisterChris

#21 Post by MisterChris »

[quote="Jerseygirl"]Thanks Chris! Very encouraging! As for the elastics - how do you talk with the 'box' position of bands? Also - how does your ortho say she will keep your bite closed after you are debraced? This is a concern of mine - since I don't know how my bite opened to begin with, so it seems that it's possible it could open again. I've posed this question to other orthos and they say it could very well open again after braces come off.[/quote]

It's actually not too difficult to talk. At first I was slurring some words but have kinda gotten used to it. In fact a couple of times I've gone to eat and forgot I have them in and go to open my mouth only to be suddenly reminded of their presence lol. As for how the bite will remain closed afterwards, I actually haven't discussed that with my ortho, but that's a very good point and I hadn't thought about it. I will be sure to do so at my next follow up in two weeks!

sjs8906

#22 Post by sjs8906 »

Your list of "issues" sound almost IDENTICAL to what I was told at the beginning of my treatment. However, my open bite was pretty much the main thing my orthodontist chose to focus on. Before beginning treatment I didn't know anything about open bites, I didn't even know what it was called...but now I know that they are tricky to treat without surgery.

I have gone the non-surgical route with TADs (temporary anchorage devices), which is a newer treatment. I have pages of pictures and descriptions in "My Story" (link below) if you wanted to skim through that, lol! I've had great success thus far. It's so nice to be able to bite pizza...lettuce on a sandwich...etc. :lol:

Whatever decision you come to, I wish you the best of luck!

Jerseygirl

#23 Post by Jerseygirl »

Thanks SJS!! Do you knowhow big a space you have/had in your opening? Mine is not huge - and I can grip pizza but biting into other things like a sandwich and not being able to grasp the lettuce is very annoying but I've adjusted to it and it's not a big issue for me. What is more of an issue is being able to stabilize or correct my overall bite on the sides as it is very bad. I only make contact on a few small places - not even entire teeth.

Interestingly enough, and this may change, I got braced today and now I feel as though I want to keep them on as long as the ortho wants them to stay on and correct everything he wants. That said - I also do have a timetable as we want to get the implant into my jaw while the bone is still good. So he will watch that carefully to be sure we don't miss that opportunity. It might even turn out that I get the implant while still finishing up my braces, not sure - he hasn't mentioned that but we shall see.

I got my braces today and it's no where NEAR as bad as I feared. I'd read so many stories of people crying the first day or being soooo miserable, that just isn't the case for me. I don't know if is because I was so resolved, or just don't have the same reaction.

Thanks again for your response! :) I will go check out your photos.