How long until mouth feels more normal?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Grace123

How long until mouth feels more normal?

#1 Post by Grace123 »

I'm at almost eight weeks and I am wondering if there will ever be a time when I am not aware of my braces 24 hours of every day. I'm not asking about tooth pain or cheek irritation, I'm wondering about the yucky feeling of a mouth full of hardware. I'll appreciate your answers even if it's not what I'm hoping to hear! Thanks to everyone for all your postings on so many topics - this process has been made so much better because of you.

TMJJill

Re: How long until mouth feels more normal?

#2 Post by TMJJill »

I'm almost 8 months with braces. I'd say that the response to your question is that it is different for everyone. You will always be aware of the braces as you do things like eat, brush and floss, but gradually you should become less conscious you have them on. One day you will surprise yourself that you didn't notice until you had need to care for them. I know it was that way for me.

Good luck!

TMJJill

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Sita

#3 Post by Sita »

I'll have had mine for 8 weeks next Tuesday and I am in the same boat as you. I am aware of them constantly during waking hours and I hate it. I even dream about them sometimes. Let's hope the time comes for both of us soon when we forget they're there. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

udubdave

#4 Post by udubdave »

I'm on my fifth week and I'm still very aware that they're in there.

BellaBraces

#5 Post by BellaBraces »

I've only just finished my first week so I am constantly aware of them still. The ulcers have stopped hurting, though, which is a plus.

I am still lisping - how long does it generally take for that to stop?

trisportgirl

#6 Post by trisportgirl »

It took me about 2 months before I realized one day that I was singing along with the radio in car, and had completely forgotten I had braces. I'm definitely used to them now and they don't feel weird, but I'm not sure I could say exactly when that happened. If I had to guess, I would say a couple weeks after I got my bite turbos off at week 11.
Braced on November 1, 2011
Debanded on November 9, 2012
Permanent retainers top and bottom + Hawley top

kellyb

#7 Post by kellyb »

wow, by 2 weeks in i had forgotten about them

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

Noni

#8 Post by Noni »

Im in my 6 th week now and I got used to them of course i still have the feeling that they are there !! I can't forget about them But I'm much more comfortable than 2 weeks ago .I didn't know that I will reach to this point , it was so annoying ,but you have to figure your own way to feel comfortable with the way you talk and smile and by then you will know that you are so used to them.

Quad Helix Expander and Braces to correct unilateral posterioor crossbite (TMJ treatment ). 6 months
Braces journey : 11 months 3 weeks (from 12 march 2012 to 3 march 2013)
My Story and Progress Update

auco99

#9 Post by auco99 »

I'm at week 13 and I forget about mine unless I'm eating, except for times like now when my wires are poking the heck out of my cheeks. This started Tuesday night, and of course this is the week that my orthodontist is closed Wednesday-Friday (and the weekend), and of course I am going to be out of town all of next week. So annoying.

But yeah, by like the 4th week I didn't really think about them much.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

TMJJill

#10 Post by TMJJill »

auco99 wrote:I'm at week 13 and I forget about mine unless I'm eating, except for times like now when my wires are poking the heck out of my cheeks. This started Tuesday night, and of course this is the week that my orthodontist is closed Wednesday-Friday (and the weekend), and of course I am going to be out of town all of next week. So annoying.

But yeah, by like the 4th week I didn't really think about them much.
If you have self-ligating braces, you may be able to pull the wire back over. I have constant problems with "pokey" wires and the orthodontists staff showed me how to shift the wire back myself. Sometimes just a tug with tweezers works, other times, I pop open the doors on every other tooth and the wire moves itself.

If that isn't an option, the Mack silicone earpillow wax is awesome for the pokey wires. I find it works better for me than the traditional wax and stays in place better as well.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

MisterChris

#11 Post by MisterChris »

I've had my bottoms for eight months and my uppers for two and honestly, I am always aware that my mouth is full of "stuff", however I can also honestly say that I have gotten pretty used to it. It took me two followups (12 weeks) before I started feeling like I had adjusted to the bottoms, but then after I got the uppers it took me less than two weeks to feel adjusted up there.

Grace123

#12 Post by Grace123 »

Thank you for the responses. I usually adjust quickly to things and I'm frustrated that I don't feel any progress in getting used to this feeling but you are all encouraging me. What's weird is that the right side feel somewhat normal but the left side feels packed full of cotton or something. I have an ortho appointment next week and I'm hoping an adjustment will make a difference.

Jerseygirl

#13 Post by Jerseygirl »

Hang in there Grace! You are 8 weeks in, so 2 months down! I'm not sure of your treatment plan, how long you've been told you will likely be in braces, how much correction you need or your age - OR if you've ever had braces. But just keep thinking each day you are one day closer to a BEAUTIFUL smile and healthy, well aligned teeth.

I am 46 and trust me - the issues my crooked teeth have caused me or the biggest reason (for me) to put up with all the inconvenient uncomfortable feeling of braces. And it's going to FLY by - - just keep thinking positive and believing how beautiful your teeth will be! :)

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

Loztredders

#14 Post by Loztredders »

Its only been four days for me, and I already forget about them sometimes!
Not when I'm trying to eat though, the pain then won't let me forget about them for a while I expect!

Grace123

#15 Post by Grace123 »

Four days, wow! That's great and the pain will subside. I have had little to no pain except for the usual sore cheeks which have toughened up enormously. It's this yucky feeling of my mouth being filled with foreign matter, which it is (!) but I thought I would get used to and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Jerseygirl, I'm 56 and maybe I'm too old for this but I'm a youthful 56 and needed to do this for my bite so that I can chew in my seventies and beyond. I need to live a long healthy life to make this worthwhile. I'll have them at least 2 years, probably more. Thanks again for the responses and support, I'm really in the why did I do this phase and hoping I made the right decision. I also realize from reading other posts that I have asked way too few questions abut my own treatment and will be becoming better informed.