How does rotating the teeth really work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roxie2519

Re: How does rotating the teeth really work?

#16 Post by roxie2519 »

okey then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lau

#17 Post by lau »

Interesting- they are different than mine. BTW Great progress in just 3 months!!
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

jem

#18 Post by jem »

Fantastic progress Roxie! It sounds as if you and I were braced at about the same time. I got mine on 3 Jan.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

gramma2xander

#19 Post by gramma2xander »

I just got what the ortho calls rotating wedges,for two of my teeth. They go behind the archwire and are hooked to the outside part of the bracket of the tooth that needs to turn and a lig is on the inside part.

mudshell1

#20 Post by mudshell1 »

gramma2xander wrote:I just got what the ortho calls rotating wedges,for two of my teeth. They go behind the archwire and are hooked to the outside part of the bracket of the tooth that needs to turn and a lig is on the inside part.
I just got rotating wedges too. Well, about almost two weeks ago. It'll be interesting to watch them do their magic.

ArchWired28

#21 Post by ArchWired28 »

I had a rotated molar and my ortho told me that the wire will derotate it with the help of a correctly placed bracket. Imagine a tooth rotated 2 o'clock and the rest of the teeth at 12. One side of that tooth will stick out more than the other side, and that will mean that a wire will place bigger force on that side until it gradually goes back to 12. Does it make sense? That is how I understand it. Oh and yes, my tooth has derotated in about 4 months.
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

MeMeMe321

#22 Post by MeMeMe321 »

When do you start to see any movement its been 7 months and nothing so far! :(

roxie2519

#23 Post by roxie2519 »

Mine started moving in after one month.. she took the rotating wires off ..the second month :jump:

metalmouth93

#24 Post by metalmouth93 »

[quote="lau"]Hey everyone- went for an adjustment yesterday and she put the flexible wire on all my teeth behind my archwire (so there are two now) and she twisted it. Ay how it hurts! @>@ but she says its to rotate my tilted teeth. I am on my way finally![/quote]

Is yours continuously twisted like a spiral or just like once round each bracket?

lau

#25 Post by lau »

Hey metalmouth93!
my flexible wire was put behind my thicker wire (around all of my teeth bottom and top) and then it was twisted in the back to get a tight fit and then cut. Here is the link to the picture http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/downloa ... php?id=971

After 4 weeks I went to my adjustment (yesterday) and he didnt do anything to the wire, he said it was coming along and just changed the ligs.
Wore Top & Bottom traditional metal brackets, wore elastics both sides 24/7
Brace day: Oct 4 2011 / Sentence: 18 months - DONE in 16 months
My story + progress pix

jem

#26 Post by jem »

These photos show how my left canine has been rotated by brackets and archwires alone. In the first picture I only had brackets as far as my canines and my first two archwires did not move the canines. I then had brackets added to the premolars and the second picture shows the second wire since the addition of the new brackets ( fourth wire overall). The rotation is still not quite complete and I hope to get a rectangular profile archwire at my adjustment next week to achieve that.

Jem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

auco99

#27 Post by auco99 »

Good timing for this thread to be bumped. Is it possible for a tooth to over-rotate? My ortho put some powerchains on me to rotate a lateral about 8 weeks or so ago. Well, it has rotated, and then some. A few weeks ago it looked like it was in the correct spot, but it has kept moving, and now looks out of place and is really sore. It's kinda starting to move behind my central a bit. It just doesn't seem right to me. This is my first time in braces so I don't really know what is normal.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

jem

#28 Post by jem »

Auco,

I had a chain placed across my central incisors 5 weeks ago to close a gap. The gap closed very quickly but the chain has continued to move the teeth and they are starting to cross.I contacted my ortho to ask about this and her response was that over correction caused by a chain is very common and easily sorted out and there was no need to go in prior to my next adjustment on 27 June.

Hope this helps

Jem

auco99

#29 Post by auco99 »

That does help. Thank you, Jem.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

canuck88

#30 Post by canuck88 »

I had to rotate a bicuspid (the 'small molars'), and my ortho did it just be using damon brackets - nothing else. In 4 months it's pretty much rotated 90 degrees....