My braces weight loss story

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eric1122

My braces weight loss story

#1 Post by eric1122 »

When I started my braces at the end of january of this year. I really was happy it was going to fix my crossbite of my teeth, and being in braces at 30. I thought I would see if I could loss some weight from all the food and drink I know I would have to give up. I stopped drinking all pop, juice, and avoided all the foods you are not supposed to eat with braces, and took up yoga as well. At 6'2" my starting weight getting braces was around 230, and now I am at 208 pounds. Does anyone else have similar weight loss stories from having braces?

Sita

Re: My braces weight loss story

#2 Post by Sita »

I have lost about four kilos so far. The main reason for it is not snacking in between meals as much as I used to since I'm too lazy to go and brush my teeth again.

Heh, laziness leading to weight loss. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Ellebraced

#3 Post by Ellebraced »

Congrats on the weight loss, that's a great accomplishment!!

I thought I would have the same weight loss because at first It was hard to eat but I have actually gained a couple pounds because I find it hard to eat the foods I did before braces, including my favorite protein bars and granola bars. I also find it gross to eat salads with braces lol. Though I had lost a lot of weight before starting my braces. I think my braces has made me a little depressed, I love the results but felt very self conscious the first year.

Maybe if I could give up the diet coke and vodka........... no that's just silly!!

I think retainers will be more of a deterrent from snacking because I will not want to take them out to rinse them in public or even at home constantly.

Keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

NickelNikki

#4 Post by NickelNikki »

Congratulations! I've lost 7 pounds due to not snacking as much inbetween meals. I'm very tall and was only 10 stone anyway so I'm happy with only losing a little bit :lol:

I had Inman Aligners on both my top and bottom teeth.

View my progress here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41962

AquarianDragon

#5 Post by AquarianDragon »

I've lost about 10 pounds. There are times I just don't wanna eat because of how food feels in my mouth or I don't want to deal with hygiene after. However, I'd probably lose more if I stopped eating the "off-limits" foods, haha!

smartygirl

#6 Post by smartygirl »

i lost about 25 lbs at the beginning, although some of that has come off. because of a bit adjustment, my teeth didn't meet at the beginning, and i couldn't eat anything that wasn't liqued basically - even mushy things like baked beans was impossible. i was drinking bodybuilder protein shakes and losing weight. not in a good though - i think i looked a bit alarmingly gaunt (esp because the shape of your face changes too with a bite adjustment i guess) based on the reactions i got from people...
the comeback kid: my blog about braces, asthma, and a broken foot.

eric1122

#7 Post by eric1122 »

Most of my weight has come off in the face and around my stomach, which always seems to be the hardest to lose. But my family, friends, and co workers have all noticed the weight I have lost.

Darrinoc

#8 Post by Darrinoc »

When I first got my braces, I had a spacer added to a tooth so I would not bite and break into a bracket. Lost about 20lbs in less
than 2 months. It was not a good look as I dropped near 145lbs at 5'9". Things improved once my bite shifted, yet even after a year, I haven't gained back the weight. Seemed to have lost the passion of eating. Especially when it's a food that's hard to clean.

brucebadonde

#9 Post by brucebadonde »

Hello.
I've had a top brace for 9 weeks. I was around 188 lbs when I started and now I am 182 lbs. At 5'10.5" this is the lightest I have been since 2006.
I think it is slight stress which has made me eat a lot less although I am also in the process of cutting down on beers!

OldBikerBag

#10 Post by OldBikerBag »

The artificial sweeteners in diet beverages contribute to weight gain and water retention. On the face of that statement, it doesn't seem to make sense.

Aspartame acts like salt in your blood, making you thirsty. 75% of US residents are chronically dehydrated. After the body has been dehydrated for a while, it changes the thirst reflex to hunger and people eat more. Additionally, my own personal, unscientific theory is that aspartame is an appetite booster. Many friends of mine switched to diet drinks in an effort to lose weight, with paradoxical results. They ate far more food than they did when drinking the high fructose corn syrup laden, all around unhealthy sodas. A few switched back to regular soft drinks and lost weight.

My own conclusion is to drink fully sugared junk if I must, but stick mainly to water and black coffee. For the record, I could afford to drop about 10 pounds/4.5 kg (who couldn't) but overall, I'm not in bad shape....for an old bag. I'm 5'4"/1.62 m, 140 pounds/64 kg, strongly muscled.
385 Days in Damon Braces

Snowglobe32

#11 Post by Snowglobe32 »

One of the best parts of having braces for me was a 25-30lb weight loss! I lost it all in the first 3-4 months. And I have kept it off and then some! :dance:

yogapaws

#12 Post by yogapaws »

Namaste & Congratulations on starting yoga.

I have practiced for a long time & it has really helped me with the orthodontics...

Four months in and I have similar story to the rest- 5'6'',was size 6-8. now size 6 is way large. Never weigh myself but guess at least 10 lbs came off in the first month. I am trying to add more "good" fats to my food, like avocado and olive oil to try to gain a little back.

xanidu2012

#13 Post by xanidu2012 »

I got braced up on 5/8/2012. Weight was 195 pounds. At the 2 week mark 5/22/2012 I've lost 15 pounds. Believe me I was not trying to lose weight even though maybe I should have been but I think its just because I can't really eat like I used to. I was a junk food person (pretzels, candy, potato chips, popcorn) Can't eat that now :) Yogapaws gave some good ideas for making food appetizing and filling at the same time. My mom and friends noticed the weight loss. They actually said I look better. Wow :o Wonder how much I will have lost by the time 24 months have gone by :D Probably have to look for me using a microscope :D

Mylene

#14 Post by Mylene »

One month in and about 4-5 pounds lighter - mostly because I don't snack anymore, and my teeth are so sore I don't really feel like eating. For a couple of weeks I was mostly on vegetable juices and smoothies, which is great for detox and the vitamins help gums rebuild, which they're constantly doing during orthodontic treatment. As far as food goes now, I eat soft stuff, which includes pasta, so I have to be careful, pasta is a quick way to gain weight.

staje

#15 Post by staje »

I'm at about 31/2 months and I've lost about 15 pounds, in addition to braces I have an expander and it can make eating unpleasant so I have to be careful about what I eat. I also eat much more slowly now than I used to and I think that has helped.