Foods you try to get away with having braces...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

DorkieDiva

Re: Foods you try to get away with having braces...

#31 Post by DorkieDiva »

I still eat everything I ate before the braces. I'm just extremely careful. It's so funny seeing me eat "forbidden" foods because I chew like a cow, but I don't care b/c it tastes good. I love fresh broccoli, baby carrots, beef jerky, tortilla chips & I refuse to give these things up.

kellyb

#32 Post by kellyb »

i had pizza (on friday night) for the first time since getting braces. it just was not the same eating pizza with knife and fork! i did eat all my crust (though it was a thin based pizza).

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

tfischer

#33 Post by tfischer »

I eat what I am in the mood for, pasta, pizza, chips and salsa.....I have not attempted raw carrots or popcorn. The only thing I find is that if I chew a certain way or bite a certain way, I am fine. All food gets stuck somewhere so it really doesn't seem to matter in that sense....

bethanybroccoli

#34 Post by bethanybroccoli »

When I had my braces I ate anything I wanted except just adjusted how I ate it. One time we had just had a pig butchered and so we had fresh cracklins. I couldn't resist and ate a ton of those...never broke anything. :)

Acklay

#35 Post by Acklay »

bethanybroccoli wrote:When I had my braces I ate anything I wanted except just adjusted how I ate it. One time we had just had a pig butchered and so we had fresh cracklins. I couldn't resist and ate a ton of those...never broke anything. :)
Ooh, I haven't had fresh cracklins in forever! Now I really am getting hungry!

In these first few days since I've had braces on, I've eaten over half of the foods on the list of things I'm not supposed to have. I haven't broken anything yet, and I don't plan on completely changing my eating habits for the next 2 years. Heading off now to find some Doritos.
Braces Installed on 5/3/2012
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 Months+
Click here to read about my experience!

purity3d

#36 Post by purity3d »

I just cannot give up fried wontons, doritos, pizza, cookies... but I do it very rarely. I had brackets come off with pizza so many times that I started being more careful. I love apples and have a hard time eating them, even when I cut them up.

Sita

#37 Post by Sita »

Well I feel like a bit of a goody two shoes now. :-) I think the only thing I have that they didn't want me to is soda. I drink it through a straw and only at meal times.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Ellebraced

#38 Post by Ellebraced »

I eat everything!! (except super sticky things or really hard chewy things) I have Popcorn daily, nuts, chips, pizza, carrots, burgers..... I cut up things in small pieces and place it in the back of my mouth. I will bite into a burger but usually even if I cut it into strips its easier then biting off a piece. Only broke a front bracket from having a salad in the beginning (a think the spoon kinda knocked it off)

When I drink pop, I have diet and always with a straw.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

AquarianDragon

#39 Post by AquarianDragon »

I eat anything I want as well. I've only had one bracket pop off (I think it was because I was messing with it). I chew sugar-free xylitol gum or brush afterwards. We eat a lot of nuts in my home, so I just try to keep myself aware of how I bite and chew.

purity3d

#40 Post by purity3d »

AquarianDragon wrote:I eat anything I want as well. I've only had one bracket pop off (I think it was because I was messing with it). I chew sugar-free xylitol gum or brush afterwards. We eat a lot of nuts in my home, so I just try to keep myself aware of how I bite and chew.
Wow, lucky you! Doesn't it hurt? I have a hard time chewing popcorn, can't even imagine eating nuts... though I miss them A LOT!

eric1122

#41 Post by eric1122 »

I eat pizza but you have to tear up the crust into small pieces. I haven't even tried to eat apples, I have replaced it with unsweetened applesauce. I also like carrots, but haven't tried to eat them since having braces.

ChrissySunshine

#42 Post by ChrissySunshine »

Soda.
Tortilla Chips.
Pizza Crust.

.... the most ridiculous thing I've ever broken a bracket on is a piece of toast. >.< I was sooo mad.
I've also had brackets come off in my sleep.

*wakes up*
"hmm, something feels funny back there"
*reaches to touch bracket*

CLINK!

Errrr....

ChrissySunshine

#43 Post by ChrissySunshine »

bump. :]

Darrinoc

#44 Post by Darrinoc »

The first day with braces and i broke a bracket eating a burrito. Thought oh my god, how am I going to eat anything. Since then I haven't had any problems but I was much more careful. No problems with pizza or carrots but I wouldn't chance it with an apple. Can't wait to have these things off so I can chew some gum.

AquarianDragon

#45 Post by AquarianDragon »

purity3d wrote:
AquarianDragon wrote:I eat anything I want as well. I've only had one bracket pop off (I think it was because I was messing with it). I chew sugar-free xylitol gum or brush afterwards. We eat a lot of nuts in my home, so I just try to keep myself aware of how I bite and chew.
Wow, lucky you! Doesn't it hurt? I have a hard time chewing popcorn, can't even imagine eating nuts... though I miss them A LOT!
I don't have much pain when I eat nuts... except after adjustments. Popcorn isn't a problem either. This could change once I have my bottom teeth braced though.
Braced in February 2012

BSSO in April 2014