Braces at 41

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snarfblat

Braces at 41

#1 Post by snarfblat »

Hi, this is my first post here. I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their stories and information because it had a significant impact on my decision to go ahead with this. I should have had braces as a kid, but due to financial reasons I never did get them. I looked into it later in life but never followed through. I've had terrible anxiety about dentists in the past, so that was definitely a factor.

I have an overbite, and crowding of the top teeth. The lower teeth are not too bad, basically one crooked, but they are being worn by the crowded upper teeth. My dentist advised that I should do something about this wear if I want to keep those teeth.

The first Ortho I consulted with (a long time ago) said we'd have to do extractions and jaw surgery. I sure didn't like the sound of that, and put off any form of treatment for years.

I've recently seen a second Ortho, who said that I wouldn't need extractions, but I'd need jaw surgery. The total cost (no Ortho insurance) would be about $14500.

The third Ortho that I consulted with said that I didn't necessarily need extractions or surgery. I stressed that I was not looking for a perfect bite and a hollywood smile. He said if I'd be happy with a slight overbite after treatment he'd do the best he could, and the results may not be absolutely perfect. Fixing the crowding up top would relieve the wear on the bottom teeth, and we'd see how far we could bring the lower jaw forward with elastics. That was music to my ears and I signed the papers the same day.

Total cost including retainers will be $8000. Damon brackets all around, with the ceramics top front. Uppers are going on June 11th, lowers a few weeks later.

Another poster on this board said the anxiety and nervousness etc goes away once the decision is made to proceed with treatment. I'd have to agree with that, I'm feeling much more relaxed about it.

Again, thanks to all.

snarfblat

Re: Braces at 41

#2 Post by snarfblat »

I was just going to add that the third Orthodontist was a much younger guy, who seemed very flexible and open in treatment plans.

I know that some of these Orthos are probably absolute perfectionists who wouldn't even consider anything less than a perfect bite, but there's probably a lot of people out there like me who will be happy with less.

Having my jaw sliced open, metal implants screwed on, eating through a straw, (and pay a few grand for that pleasure), just so that I can get the last 2-3mm of proper alignment was just not going to happen.

coconutqueen

#3 Post by coconutqueen »

snarfblat wrote:I was just going to add that the third Orthodontist was a much younger guy, who seemed very flexible and open in treatment plans.

I know that some of these Orthos are probably absolute perfectionists who wouldn't even consider anything less than a perfect bite, but there's probably a lot of people out there like me who will be happy with less.

Having my jaw sliced open, metal implants screwed on, eating through a straw, (and pay a few grand for that pleasure), just so that I can get the last 2-3mm of proper alignment was just not going to happen.
Yes, they are perfectionists and you can sort of understand why. But it is your decision as well as your money. And we are adults after all.

I went into treatment having declined surgery (which had been strongly advocated) and knowing that I might only get a 90% outcome. That was fine with me. As it was, my ortho delivered a great outcome and four plus years on since having been debanded, my bite is stable. No, it's not perfect, but I'm quite OK with that.

By the same token, if someone wants to embark on the surgical route, then that is their choice and one to be respected.

smilehope

#4 Post by smilehope »

Overbite, crowding, worn lower incisors, early 40's - you are not alone! I did have 2 extractions though. It seemed so obvious when my ortho explained it I didn't get other opinions.
Do join us on the stories section when you are ready.
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

OldBikerBag

#5 Post by OldBikerBag »

43, overbite, minor crowding top and bottom and flared upper central incisors. Both arches are narrow, most notably, the top, so much so that upper and lower canines conflicted, causing the lower ones to slide back along the rear of the uppers, seating my molars together in such a way that the lowers were nearly ¼ inch behind the uppers.

Many moons ago, I was told it would take massive surgery and some extractions to correct. The plan would be to remove both upper premolars and a wedge of bone, then move the lower jaw forward. I would have ended up looking rather witchy. Thank you, no. I didn't even ask about the cost because it didn't matter.

This guy first suggested extracting those first upper premolars. I again refused. I cannot bring myself to yank out healthy, useful teeth. Okay, we can sand the lateral edges and gain a mm per tooth. Ehm...nope. not going to weaken healthy teeth, either.

I, too, will be more than happy if the overbite is reduced, arches widened and teeth where they belong. I am an individual and have absolutely no designs on seeking my fortune in Hollywood. My goal when walking into the office was to flatten out the upward curvature of my lower teeth. I was afraid they were going to wander out and I would lose them.

Anyway, I have the Damon 3s with clears on the upper front six. We'll see how this goes.

Welcome to the club.
385 Days in Damon Braces

snarfblat

#6 Post by snarfblat »

It's so good to hear from others in similar situations, thanks for all the replies. I got my uppers done today. Damon ceramic on the front 8, metal on the last 2 on each side.

My first thought was that they felt really sharp. No pain as of yet. I had BBQ and a noodle salad to eat, and it took a couple of fills of the countertop waterpik to clean it all out. For a couple of minutes here and there I completely forgot about them, but not for long.

My biggest concern right now is what to take to work for lunch tomorrow. I'm thinking soup done in a blender. I really don't want to spend 10min of my 30min break cleaning my teeth.

They feel really weird, not sure how to describe it to someone who hasn't had braces before.