Help deciding on cosmetic options!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peach

Help deciding on cosmetic options!

#1 Post by peach »

So my ortho put me in retainers. I still have two gaps that she said i can have closed through bonding. I just met with my dentist for a consul and he said i have 3 options. I want everyones opinion.
1 composite bonding - will cost me a total of 1400 for all the work. Lasts 10-12 yrs. Fairly durable but can chip over time. Can stain with tea. Its completed in one sitting
2 porcelein veneer- will cost 3200. Lasts 10-12. Durable but will have some tooth shaving
3. Crown- will cost 3200. Lasts 30 yrs and durable. Some tooth shaving. Takes 3 weeks but will have temporary in the meantime.
Has anyone had those done or any opinions on it? My husband says i should really get the crowns so it will last and look nice.

coconutqueen

Re: Help deciding on cosmetic options!

#2 Post by coconutqueen »

I had a porcelain crown done on a second molar in 1999. It went through 21 months of braces and is still going strong. I understand gold crowns are even more durable, but for obvious reasons people may not want to have them on front teeth.

My husband had composite bonding done on some of his front teeth many years ago; it's held up well, but you can tell where it is due to the staining.

Personally, I would NEVER do veneers - why mess up perfectly good teeth? - but that's just me.

peach

#3 Post by peach »

I was reading online that crown veneers are more invasive than porcelain because they shave all around the tooth, leaving less to work with in the future. Im not sure how i feel about that. I think I'll check out some pictures online to see what they all look like. The dentist said that theyll stain with tea and coffee but not food? Do they stain with like one drink or is it excessive use of something? I maonly drink water but i dont want to eat or drink something and find staining like when i had ceramic braces and the ligs would go crazy yellow with certain foods or drinks.

coconutqueen

#4 Post by coconutqueen »

Not sure about veneers and staining. I'm one of those people whose (normal) teeth stain like crazy from tea, coffee, food colouring and red wine!

Mylene

#5 Post by Mylene »

I would ALWAYS choose the least invasive route, composite resin, to preserve the tooth. Maybe your dentist has a reason for suggesting crowns or veneers? I have composite resin on 3 of my 4 front teeth, no staining, although I 'm sure everyone is different.
Good luck!

Happy to answer any real estate questions - message me!

kennyandrew85

#6 Post by kennyandrew85 »

what was the reason the gaps can't be closed?
I'll be pretty pee'd off if I can't get my gaps closed with braces at the end.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

kellyb

#7 Post by kellyb »

kennyandrew85 wrote:what was the reason the gaps can't be closed?
I'll be pretty pee'd off if I can't get my gaps closed with braces at the end.
i also have a couple gaps on my lower arch which my ortho told me will be difficult to close without damaging the teeth. the ortho thinks it will not be as obvious based on their position but if i cannot live with the them, i can consider bonding. i knew this from day one before starting the treatment. i will see how they look at the end of the ortho treatment before i decide how i will proceed.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

peach

#8 Post by peach »

Apparently my gaps can't be closed because my teeth are small. I really thought they would be closed at the end of treatment or at least nearly closed but the ortho insisted that my teeth are all aligned where they should be. And yes I am disappointed. It was one of the big reasons I took the plunge and got braced. I've been checking out, online, the differences between all the veneer types that my dentist mentioned. my teeth are healthy. i have no issue with enamel or decay on any of those teeth. in order to close the two gaps, he'll need to use 4 veneers so that it won't look like I have abnormally large teeth. I ruled out the crown veneers. That is just way too invasive. I'm only 31 and I really don't want to shave all around my already small teeth for crowns. I've been debating back and forth between the porcelain veneer and the composite. I've read pros and cons for each and everyone has a different opinion. I was thinking of just going for the composite since it's less invasive. I'm thinking that they might hold up pretty well since my bite is where it should be. I'm a bit concerned about the staining risk but I don't drink coffee or red wine. I do like tea but it's not like I couldn't live without it. Have people been content with their composites? I checked out some pictures online and they looked nice to me. Also, my dentist's office is very nice and up to date on technology. my dentist is also fairly young. They obviously do cosmetic work there but I don't know if I'm suppose to be on the look out for a very specific training? I read that cosmetic dentistry actually is not specialized in the dental field and that many dentists get advanced trainings now a days. Just curious what you think.

#9 Post by 33333 »

http://www.dentistrytoday.com/restorati ... glesq-case

Sounds like an "advanced" version of bonding to me. Hope that helps!

eric1122

#10 Post by eric1122 »

Where do you live peach? The only reason I ask because I might need some cosmetic work done after I am done with my braces on at least 3 of my teeth, and might consider some work on 4 other teeth, and would like to get an idea of the possible cost. Are those costs per tooth?

peach

#11 Post by peach »

Erik 1122- sorry for the really late response. I live in Maryland. The costs listed are for the sum of 4 teeth.
I went with the composite veneers. Here are the after pix. I'm wearing my retainers of course.

peach

#12 Post by peach »

These are the before pix with my gaps. Ortho said my teeth are aligned but she couldnt close the gaps because my teeth are too small.

BellaBraces

#13 Post by BellaBraces »

Great result. I can see why you weren't happy to keep the gaps.