I'm new and in pain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

purplefish

I'm new and in pain!

#1 Post by purplefish »

Hi,

I had my top fixed ceramic brace put on in Feb 2012 and my bottom metal fixed brace put on April 2012. I have just had two lower teeth removed to make room on Friday. The holes are healing well but it seems now the teeth are no longer there the ones next to the holes are now on the move and soooo painful!! It seems to be moving to a different pair of teeth each day! This is the first time I have experienced this much discomfort with movement and my dentist didn't even change the archwire after the extractions. No pain no gain I guess! I have got to go back in two weeks for an adjustment.
I just keep telling myself the pain is good as it proves there is something happening!

:)

Grace123

Re: I'm new and in pain!

#2 Post by Grace123 »

You have a great attitude and you've come to the right place for moral support and great information. Wishing you the best.

purplefish

#3 Post by purplefish »

Thanku!

auco99

#4 Post by auco99 »

Ibuprofen helped me. Also, I liked to chew on that little rubber mouthguard thing they gave me. I think it helps get some bloodflow going, which helps with the healing. Best of luck!
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

purplefish

#5 Post by purplefish »

Taken Ibuprofen which has helped and will take some more before bed just in case!

PS101

#6 Post by PS101 »

I just got braces as well.

I'm not one to take pain medication, but I have been taking ibuprofen before I go to bed, whether I am in pain or not. I don't want to wake up with a sore mouth!

Good luck!

xanidu2012

#7 Post by xanidu2012 »

I use advil or aleve. It works for me. Hope you feel better soon.

purplefish

#8 Post by purplefish »

I was just wondering if my dentist will use 'power chains' to close the new gaps, he hasn't mentioned anything. I go back in just over a week so I'll find out.
Anyone had to have gaps after extractions closed?

luchababe

#9 Post by luchababe »

Pain pills, obviously work. Also try chewing on a straw using the sore teeth. It increased the blood flow. Same goes for standing up and touching your toes. The blood flows to your head and when you stand back up your teeth feel so much better! At least they did for me...

purplefish

#10 Post by purplefish »

Really pleased now that the pain has gone! Having an adjustment tomorrow but not sure if it's top and bottom braces. Is it normal to lose weight with these? I've lost a stone since February and I don't feel deprived of food although I'm definately eating more slowly. People are starting to notice now and I've had to get new clothes!!

nikkibabie19

#11 Post by nikkibabie19 »

purplefish wrote:Really pleased now that the pain has gone! Having an adjustment tomorrow but not sure if it's top and bottom braces. Is it normal to lose weight with these? I've lost a stone since February and I don't feel deprived of food although I'm definately eating more slowly. People are starting to notice now and I've had to get new clothes!!

I think it is normal at least for a while in the beginning to lose some weight..Because eating become either painful so you avoid it or it become slower so u eat less and for me...i know i eat less because sometimes i cant go to the bathroom to clean up after so i just dont eat in those cases. (not that i ate a lot before)

But i think once the pain is gone....people usually maintain their size...idk ....this is just what i think...idk if there are actual statistics out there sumwhere...who knows............

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

xanidu2012

#12 Post by xanidu2012 »

Pain had an entire new meaning when I got braced up 5/8/12 :-+ omg! I wanted to rip my mouth off my face :lol: . In that 1st week of having the braces put on I lost 15 pounds :( and had to figure out how/what to eat. At this point my weight is holding steady and I have what I call "teeth moving flare-ups" :lol: but it has gotten much better :thumbsup: . So everything is just temporary :lol: