Thoughts on Sonicare Airfloss?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chuck1026

Thoughts on Sonicare Airfloss?

#1 Post by Chuck1026 »

I just bought a Sonicare Airfloss and I don't see how it can be as good as flossing - I was having such a bad time with the threader for the side and back of my mouth I thoght I'd give it a shot.

Basically you line it up with the space between yor teeth and push the button. Zzz-SNAP and a shot of water/air is released. How can this replace flossing? Anyone else using this thing? I am seriousy considering bringing it back.

chainreaction

Re: Thoughts on Sonicare Airfloss?

#2 Post by chainreaction »

never have used that ..but love my waterpik ..I still floss with Glide threader floss...

Milinea

#3 Post by Milinea »

I mentioned this at the ortho when I was there las tweek, the assistant had never heard of it,but my ortho perked right up and said they were supposed to be great and recommends it. I think I want one.

BellaBraces

#4 Post by BellaBraces »

I have just bought one and I think it works really well. At any rate it gets my gums bleeding as much as the hygienist does, so it must be doing something.

Cassandra

#5 Post by Cassandra »

I just wanted to bump this post- anyone else had experience with this product? Seems like they are beginning to advertise this more in the UK.

snarfblat

#6 Post by snarfblat »

I was interested in this as well. Waterpik claims that their product works better. If you go to waterpik dot com and click on the waterpik, on the next page there is a link to "New research results - Waterpik 80% better than Air Floss".

I am planning to ask my Orthodontist about this when I go in. I know they sell the high-end Oral-B toothbrush there, but not sure about Waterpik or AirFloss.

I like the idea of the Air Floss, looks a lot less messy.

CoryDaniels

#7 Post by CoryDaniels »

The way I look at it....its better than not flossing....we all know how long it takes to floss even with threaders, and I know that I do NOT floss everyday because of time. if I had something that was easier and didn't take as much time to do and then floss regularly a couple of days a week, I don't think its too bad.

My dentist recommended that I get one.

Cassandra

#8 Post by Cassandra »

I just imagine the jets of air & water (which the airfloss seems to do) to be too cold. Also there is no container for the water. To me the Waterpik looks better, it is available in the UK.

snarfblat

#9 Post by snarfblat »

I saw both the Airfloss and the Waterpik for sale at Costco here (Canada), and decided to go with the waterpik. It's kid of messy (until I get the hang of it) but seems to do a good job.

I did 2 tests on the first day. First was some beef jerky. There's a few spots where it always gets stuck. So I had some jerky and could feel it where it was stuck. I went through one full reservoir of the countertop waterpik ultra (regular nozzle), and then followed up with string floss. The floss came out completely clean on each tooth.

Next was pizza, with gooey cheese, meat and vegetable fibers. Same test, and the string floss was also completely clean afterwards.

I have some teeth that are very tight, and on others I can feel the water jet hitting my tongue (or cheek) through the space between the teeth.

Some people say that it's not a complete replacement for string floss, but after my own tests I'm not so sure that flossing after the waterpik is going to be of much benefit.

Cassandra

#10 Post by Cassandra »

Thanks for the info, I think I'll invest in a waterpik soon. I kind of want to get used to using it before I get braced.
Are you eating all that stuff with braces on?! :shock:

snarfblat

#11 Post by snarfblat »

Cassandra wrote: Are you eating all that stuff with braces on?! :shock:
Sadly, no. I did those tests before I got my braces.

Cassandra

#12 Post by Cassandra »

I took the plunge and bought a Waterpik and I feel like it's better than flossing personally, but then I'm not great at flossing :mrgreen:

retroRedhead

#13 Post by retroRedhead »

science says waterpik wins. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22435320
however, the most effective tool is the one you'll actually use. :)

occamsblazer

#14 Post by occamsblazer »

I have both; got the Airfloss before I got braces, and it was ok..not brilliant, but ok. Once I got my braces on, I found the little head used to clash against my brackets and made it pretty much redundant, so I took the leap and got a Waterpik last week - it's miles better! the Airfloss only delivers a small burst of water/air so it takes a while to go around your whole mouth, whereas the Waterpik can be adjusted and the constant stream makes it much quicker. My mouth also feels cleaner using it and the reservoir is massive compared to the Airfloss. I guess neither are a proper replacement for manual flossing but if you're like me and just don't ever do it, it's probably a good alternative. Only downside to the Waterpik is that it sounds like a roadwork drill...I always cringe whenever I use it late at night...my poor neighbours!