Does this look like a two year sentence? (picture!)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cavomington

Does this look like a two year sentence? (picture!)

#1 Post by cavomington »

My orthodontist has given me a two year estimate on my braces. The difference between 1.5(my expectations)/2 years is not that big a deal to me, but I was a bit perplexed because I've seen a lot of posts and pictures on here will less brace time than myself with more extreme problems. Maybe he gives higher estimates for adults(25) or just assumes that people won't be effective with their rubber bands. I didn't want to complain too much before even getting my braces installed, but I asked if Damon braces would reduce the treatment time and he claimed that they weren't very effective in that aspect. I currently have ordered regular ceramic tops and regular metal bottoms, but I have time to change my mind on types.

Any thoughts?

auco99

Re: Does this look like a two year sentence? (picture!)

#2 Post by auco99 »

I'm not an expert but honestly the treatment times seem so random. I'm amazed by some of the teeth I've seen here that were fixed in 9-12 months, and I'd honestly like to know what their orthodontist is doing to move their teeth 2x as fast as mine. I think the biggest thing is the skill of your orthodontist (which is kind of hard to know in advance sometimes), and I think some of it is simply genetics and diet. I think some people's teeth are just going to move more quickly than others based on their body, gum health, and what they consume while braced.

My term is supposed to be 24 months but I feel like mine are moving way ahead of schedule for whatever reason. We'll see.
Uppers: Ceramic Damons, braced 1-31-12
Lowers: Metal, braced 5-31-12

Georgina A

#3 Post by Georgina A »

Nope. Looks like 12 months in invisaline. Lucky you

auco99

#4 Post by auco99 »

Oh, and to actually answer your question, absolutely not. I would find another ortho if those were my teeth and I was told it'd take 24 months.

cavomington

#5 Post by cavomington »

I guess the good news is that I won't be braced for two years. The bad is that this orthodontist came very highly recommended by my dentist, and has won "highest customer rated" orthodontist in all of the local papers for the last three years.

I will probably still need regular braces on the bottom. You can't see in this pic, but both of my canines are turned completely sideways. Also the problem with Invisiline for me is that they're "voluntary". I am awful about doing things unless I'm forced to. I am supposed to wear a night guard to protect from grinding, but I never put the thing in. I can see myself just being completely careless and lazy about putting the Invisiline plates in. I know braces are a lot of work, but once they're installed I'm forced to deal with them. Otherwise my mouth will smell terrible and my teeth will look worse than when I started.

auco99

#6 Post by auco99 »

You just described my wife. She has Invisalign, was great about wearing the trays for months, then got lazy with it. Then started wearing them only at night. And now her teeth look the same as before and don't seem to want to move. I'd probably be the same way with Invisalign, because it sure would be nice to have some relief from braces sometimes. So I guess it's a good thing these things are glued on.

GillyWeed

#7 Post by GillyWeed »

You have to keep in mind that orthodontics isn't just about straightening teeth. Your bite has to be taken into account as well. If your orthodontist comes highly recommeded and you feel comfortable with this doctor I wouldn't worry too much about the time estimate, after all it is just that, an estimate.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make :)
-Gabrielle

Click here to see my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=41964

BellaBraces

#8 Post by BellaBraces »

I think orthodontists try to give worst case scenarios so you will get a pleasant rather than an unpleasant surprise if they are wrong.

I have 6 Month Smiles and was given an estimated treatment time of 9 months.

I had my 2 month adjustment last week and my dentist said that I may be able to have the uppers debraced in 2 months!

hazybubbles

#9 Post by hazybubbles »

No one can look at a picture and tell you what needs doing. It might not look like your front teeth need much work but there could be difficult bite issues that take time to fix. If your orthodontist is well respected and recommended then that certainly suggests they know what they are talking about. By all means get opinions from other orthodontists, but don't just choose one because they are offering the quickest fix. I think 18 to 24 months is a perfectly reasonable estimate for an adult if they are fixing your bite and making sure your teeth look great.

Kipepeo

#10 Post by Kipepeo »

Perhaps your ortho is giving you a conservative estimate. We all want to be in them the shortest time possible, and I'm guessing adults pester the most about how much longer. This way, if you get out early, then he has over delivered!!

Also, I'd highly advise you to get the Damons top and bottom. They're more comfortable, smaller, don't require ligatures that can discolor and stain, and your visits are fewer and more spread out (10 weeks vs 4 weeks with traditional).

cavomington

#11 Post by cavomington »

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll continue on with this orthodontist, I just hope that 2 years is not accurate.

nifer237

#12 Post by nifer237 »

Heck no. Mine were way worse and I am at 18+ months. I'm sure people say this to you all the time, but your teeth don't look that bad at all!

cavomington

#13 Post by cavomington »

Thanks for the complement, I wouldn't be getting braces if it wasn't for the hygiene benefits and means to ease my grinding. I get 2 or 3 cavities a year despite brushing multiple times a day and flossing at least once. I'm hoping braces will help me with this.

I had one final consultation today, I get spacers on my next appointment, and my final estimate was 21 months. I was still a bit perplexed again,but I didn't push the time estimate issue. I'm always a bit anxious in the ortho office for some reason.

No extractions needed
No headgear
No additional appliances
"Some elastic wear mid-treatment"

He complemented some parts of my bite and natural alignment. I have 4 horizontal, impacted, wisdom teeth that aren't causing problems right now . I've decided to just have them out at some point during braces.

*shrug* I have no idea, maybe he thinks my bones will be stubborn.

margarets

#14 Post by margarets »

A lot depends on how your teeth respond to treatment. Sometimes there's that one tooth that takes a lot of coaxing. 2 years is a common treatment time, so perhaps your ortho just wants you to have realistic expectations, rather than too-high ones and be disappointed later.

Even if it is two years, it'll be worth it.

kreyFL

#15 Post by kreyFL »

I will be honest here. My teeth didnt seem that bad either. Sure I had an open bite but that was the worst of it. I too was told 18-24 months and I am 21 months in now, hoping to get these babies off within the next 6-8 weeks per my ortho's oh so secretive hints. Once I actually got the braces on, it was eye opening to see how jacked up my teeth and bite actually were.

Although the 2 year sentence was a surprise to me, I really thought I was an easy 8-10 month case - I was definitely wrong. I kept thinking the whole time "Oh I am sure I will get these off by month 13" which then turned to "Oh I will definitely have these off by month 17" LOL

My dentist also recommended my ortho and I love that they share me as a patient. They both know what's going on at all times and I like that.

Try not to put too much emphasis on the time frame as it is an estimate nonetheless. Could be shorter or longer. But the end result is the prize.

Good luck to you!