Shopping list...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bionicbigmouth

Shopping list...

#1 Post by Bionicbigmouth »

Hey all! :)

Hope you are all well and your braces aren't causing you too much hassle! :)

Right...this has most probably been asked before...buuuuuuuuuuut...what would you recommend as useful accessories for brace care? I'm going shopping and putting together my home/work survival kits, so a little help would be gratefully appreciated...even if its pointing me in the direction of the most probably extensive list that has already been created! Lol!

Ta much very! :)

Elegra

Re: Shopping list...

#2 Post by Elegra »

Hello!

Not sure if you're male or female, but either way, you'll need some kind of small make-up/wash bag to carry your bits and bobs around to use in the bathroom at work/while on the move etc.

A really good electric toothbrush is invaluable, yes at first you'll be scared to use it on the braces but after a while you'll get used it. Until you have confidence with an electric brush you can use a little regular one.

I like Oral B Pro toothpaste.

Small bottles of mouthwash.

Interdental brushes (little brushes that you can use instead of floss - depending on how big the gaps are between your teeth).

A hand mirror (or several in all bags!)

Hmm, think that's all I had but am sure others' will add more items!

Good luck :D

luchababe

#3 Post by luchababe »

Breath strips are good instead of gum or mints. I've given up both. One in case it sticks everywhere and the other because they're hard and I don't want to pop open a bracket. Better safe than sorry! Also don't forget the floss and ask for the floss threaders if they don't give you any.

kreyFL

#4 Post by kreyFL »

Home:

WaterPik is awesome
Floss with built in threader
Extra wax

On the Go/Cars:
Disposable travel toothbrush (To bring with you into restaurants, etc)
Toothpicks (Cheaper and just as good as those funny brace cleaner doo dads)
Extra wax

I initially bought a bunch of stuff I didnt need or use. After almost 2 years in braces this is all I find that I need. Wax everywhere is mandatory. If you find you need it one day and don't have it - life is miserable.

I change out my cheapie disposable brushes every few weeks.

Bionicbigmouth

#5 Post by Bionicbigmouth »

Thanks guys! :)

I got:

Oral B super floss
Wax
Wax
More wax
New toothpaste
Non alcoholic mouthwash
Toothpicks
Childrens toothbrushes
Interdental brushes
Lip balm

And.........

MY NEW WATERPIK[\size]

So excited to try that one!

I have so many little mirrors and travel bags so I can get together and handbag kit for when I'm out and about or at the office!

Thanks again for all your suggestions! :)

kreyFL

#6 Post by kreyFL »

LOL sounds like you are good to go! I <3 my waterpik too.

8)

AltoRose

#7 Post by AltoRose »

That Water Pik is going to be your best friend. I got mine about five days after I got my braces on and it's WONDERFUL...it just blasts all those tiny food particles out of the crevices between my teeth and brackets!
Second go-round with braces! Age: 32

NICURN85

#8 Post by NICURN85 »

I am so glad you posted this topic bc I will be getting my braces on July 12th and wanted to make sure I had everything that day. Also you can go on a website that's mentioned on here www.dentakit.com and they have nice things like a little travel kit you can take with you places. You should check out the website. The waterpik is also listed on that site. I am getting the travel kit to bring to work with me on the nights I work!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

AquarianDragon

#9 Post by AquarianDragon »

I purchased the dentakit which I carry around everywhere. I also have a make-up bag at work with toothbrush, toothpaste, mini mouthwash, floss and picks. I also keep lip balm and gum at work. We recently bought a water-pik my husband setup the other day... haven't tried it yet.

I feel like I'm always digging or brushing my teeth!
Braced in February 2012

BSSO in April 2014

NICURN85

#10 Post by NICURN85 »

I just purchased the Waterpik this morning from Wal Mart. Now I just need to order the DentaKit so it can arrive by next Thursday!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

LewisS

#11 Post by LewisS »

Are Waterpik's actually worth it? I haven't actually been out that much since I got my braces because I'm not longer at college during summer and the weather is TERRIBLE - so I haven't really had a reason to clean them when I'm out-and-about. I feel stupid because I haven't really invested in much more than a cheap orthodontic toothbrush and some interdental brushes. I got some wax given, but haven't really used it...I find chap stick much more effective!

Brace-on date: July 2nd 2012
Deband date: July 14th 2014

Click here to follow my braces story!

kreyFL

#12 Post by kreyFL »

LewisS wrote:Are Waterpik's actually worth it? I haven't actually been out that much since I got my braces because I'm not longer at college during summer and the weather is TERRIBLE - so I haven't really had a reason to clean them when I'm out-and-about. I feel stupid because I haven't really invested in much more than a cheap orthodontic toothbrush and some interdental brushes. I got some wax given, but haven't really used it...I find chap stick much more effective!
IMO yes the Waterpik is worth it. I don't travel with my waterpik - that would make me feel silly - but it is easier to use and less abrasive than brushing every single time I eat something. I work from home so I use mine literally 4 times a day or more. I only use a travel toothbrush and toothpicks when I'm on the go. No need to make a big hoopla out of cleaning my braces, especially in a public restroom. lol

KissMyGlitz

#13 Post by KissMyGlitz »

I just got my braces 2 weeks ago and I went crazy and bought a kit too.

The only thing I didn't see anyone mention is silicone earplugs instead of wax. It's non toxic, safe if swallowed and it works better for me.

OH and I Love my waterpik but it gets messy for some reason, I am uncoordinated and I can never just turn it off without taking it out of my mouth.

Sita

#14 Post by Sita »

KissMyGlitz wrote:OH and I Love my waterpik but it gets messy for some reason, I am uncoordinated and I can never just turn it off without taking it out of my mouth.
No pause button thingy? Mine has a pause button thingy.

I am currently looking around for a good portable/travel water flosser. In the beginning I didn't need one but now that I have powerchains on most of my teeth I need one. Either that or I will never eat away from home again. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

Matilda

#15 Post by Matilda »

Portable toothbrush, portable toothpaste, interdental brushes, dental floss, mouthwash, breath spray, breath strips.