Eating habits with braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lux

Re: Eating habits with braces!

#31 Post by Lux »

I eat everything, too! It's more difficult, of course, and I have to do it more slowly/carefully.. in the 7 months I've been braced, I've broken a bracket on 1) brushchetta, and 2) a muffin.. lol.

xanidu2012

#32 Post by xanidu2012 »

I broke down today. I had to have a Big Mac :-* and I bit down in that bad boy and really enjoyed it too :lol: this was a good day :jump:

bakejoy

#33 Post by bakejoy »

Jealous. I have bite turbos and it has really changed my eating habits. I say as long as you are careful, enjoy it for everyone who can't! :)

marybee

#34 Post by marybee »

I learned today not to eat a chicken wrap. Even with grilled chicken, it took FOREVER to get all the flour tortilla out of my brackets. Nothing more fun than brushing my teeth in a mall restroom "in front of a live audience".......

I use a fork and knife for lots of food now - hamburgers, hot dogs (without the bun) and pizza. It's not worth the effort to go against the "no no" list, especially after trying to eat corn chips. I do miss apples and carrots. :( and steak, forget it. It takes too long to cut in teeny tiny pieces and chew. Used to be I was the one of the first done with my meal.....not any more! :D

LewisS

#35 Post by LewisS »

I'm actually really struggling with things food-wise and I usually eat a lot! It's making me really grumpy, but I guess I'll lose a little weight! :P

AquarianDragon

#36 Post by AquarianDragon »

After the initial pain of having my uppers braced, I've ate anything I've wanted.

Eight weeks ago I began with a palatal expander (which is removable). Since I'm supposed to eat with the expander in, it has made it a bit more challenging to eat (sometimes I do remove it to eat).

I like to eat nuts, but I'm getting to the point where it's becoming too much trouble to do so. On the 17th, I'm getting spacers in my lower teeth to prepare for bracing them a week later. I'm expecting that nuts are gonna become even more bothersome. When I get the lowers braced, I'm gonna use that as a starting point to go on a diet... a good time to start.

I'm cautious with some caramel containing sweets (especially those that also have nuts), so my husband tries them first to give me feedback. A few weeks ago I wanted corn on the cob... my husband told me no (am I a kid or what?) and ordered me soft broccoli instead (what the heck!). I figured it was my chance then to try it out before getting the bottom braced.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah.... I pretty much eat what I want and deal with any cleaning I need to do. I feel like I dig at and clean my teeth all the time!
Braced in February 2012

BSSO in April 2014

yogapaws

#37 Post by yogapaws »

I love food topics....
I eat walnuts in my cereal or pancakes every morning- heating softens them up & excellent source of protein. Use almond flour in my smoothies & yogurt.

After 6 months of eating orthodontic style: Size 4 ( from size 8)
Cholesterol down to 188 ( from 239)
Am now practicing a higher level of yoga poses
Actually feel better- increased energy
Wolf Whistled at on my walk (LOL)
AND my teeth are getting straighter every day!

xanidu2012

#38 Post by xanidu2012 »

Yogapaws you got it going on. Good for you and those wolf calls too :lol:

Mylene

#39 Post by Mylene »

I am so jealous... I was sticking to soft foods but had a craving for kettle chips... And a bracket slipped right off. I can't get it fixed until Monday. I would like to say it was the Waterpik but it probably was the chips.

Happy to answer any real estate questions - message me!

xanidu2012

#40 Post by xanidu2012 »

Aww :( I'm sorry to hear about your bracket coming off. Hope Monday comes quickly for you.

Dee17

#41 Post by Dee17 »

I am only at the stage where my dentist has recommending referring me to an orthodontist. I've only just started poking around on this site. I'm very concerned about having to go on some kind of "liquid" diet after I get my braces on. This is mostly because I'm also a Type I diabetic and so I have to be very careful about the number of carbohydrates I consume in a meal. Has anyone else had any experience with something like this? Can you refer me to any resources?

TMJJill

#42 Post by TMJJill »

I can't advise you on the best diet with your diabetic needs, but I will say that I didn't have any problems meeting my dietary needs after getting my braces on. I just had to avoid some of the harder foods because my teeth were quite sore the first month. I still ate sandwiches, pastas, meat cut small, etc... For veggies, cooking them helps soften them and makes them easier to eat. For foods hard to chew that you want raw, my orthodontist recommended mixing them into smoothies.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Mylene

#43 Post by Mylene »

I'm not a dietician so I won't give any advice regarding diabetes, but with braces I can still eat healthy low glyemic foods like:
Black beans, lentils, tofu, salmon, oatmeal, all fruits and vegetables, brown rice, quinoa, almond butter.
Healthy foods I cannot eat are raw nuts, granola, raw hard veggies like carrots and celery, and anything else that's hard, like soynuts.
You can have a super healthy low-carb diet with braces.

Happy to answer any real estate questions - message me!

EbonyQ

#44 Post by EbonyQ »

I’m very bad with my braces because I eat everything I used to eat before braces :oops: . I’m so surprised that they are still on!!
Sometimes I forget about my braces and start to chew hard candy, and these brackets are still stuck on my teeth :| Did he use a super glue or something?

But I chew differently, so that might be it. I have found a way to chew without putting pressure on the brackets.
This freedom with food might change when I get my lower braces though.

[/url]