Healthy eating tips when teeth hurt?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jessieg

Healthy eating tips when teeth hurt?

#1 Post by jessieg »

I'm just over the 8 week hump now but my front teeth still hurt and I can't bite anything. Just went for my first appointment and he said one of my front teeth has moved so far so fast, that's why they still hurt. I am finding that I am just eating anything I can rip up and shove in the back of my mouth. I was trying to eat really healthy pre braces, but I feel like veggies and sandwiches are non existent now, and I'm starting to eat anything soft. Like popcorn chicken...fries...etc...I don't want to go down the wrong road after all this work. So health nuts with braces, what did you eat when your mouth still hurt?

starfish88

Re: Healthy eating tips when teeth hurt?

#2 Post by starfish88 »

I'm pretty new at this but right now I'm finding I'm missing out on protein being vegetarian and most protein being too tough anyway. Eggs have been a life saver, scrambled they are soft enough to eat without any teeth! Havn't been doing well on the vegetables though, maybe I'll have some mushy peas later!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

xanidu2012

#3 Post by xanidu2012 »

Soft foods. I like cream style corn, soft cabbage (even though it stuck in brackets) yogurt, broccoli soup, potato and clam chowder soups.

TMJJill

#4 Post by TMJJill »

My orthodontist recommends lots of spinach. I told him it was hard to chew with my splint and he said smoothies with the spinach are the way to go.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

NICURN85

#5 Post by NICURN85 »

I am so glad someone posted this question. Now I know what to go to the store and stock up on to have to eat!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Grace123

#6 Post by Grace123 »

If you like Mediterranean flavors you will feel healthy and happy eating tabbouleh, hummus, stuffed grape leaves, and I've just added falafel to the list. Quinoa is a great healthy soft source of protein. Pesto sauce and very finely chopped veggies and feta cheese in eggs is excellent- scrambled or omelette. Greek yogurt and smoothies are still the best on the days when even small chews hurt. I'm not Greek but you wouldn't know it looking in my refrigerator! Now that summer squash is in season where I live I am sautéing it with onion and garlic and tomatoes and putting on (over cooked) pasta. I have not felt like cooking like I used to before the braces (about 3 months) but I'm doing my best to maintain a healthy diet. I miss a big salad! All that chewing still does my cheeks in even though my teeth don't hurt. Looking forward to reading other ideas. Best of luck to you.

BellaBraces

#7 Post by BellaBraces »

Fish is good. It is pretty soft anyway and can be cut into tiny pieces that you can suck to mush (don't brace wearers have charming conversations???) or swallow whole.

Rusty'sMom

#8 Post by Rusty'sMom »

Perfect for warm summer months and lots of protein, my favorite meal in a glass: peanut butter smoothie! In a blender or magic bullet place about 4-6oz of nonfat greek vanilla (or plain) yogurt, a heaping tablespoon of smooth all natural peanut butter, 1/2 of a frozen banana, 4 oz of lowfat milk, then fill cup to 1" below rim with crushed ice. Blend until smooth. Absolutely delicious!
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

AltoRose

#9 Post by AltoRose »

I swear by Slim-Fast shakes. I never drank them before I got braces, but now I have at least one a day. Tons of protein and vitamins in tasty liquid form!

My other favorite healthy treat is a mashed-up avocado with a squirt of lime juice and some kosher salt. Heavenly.
Second go-round with braces! Age: 32

Cassandra

#10 Post by Cassandra »

You guys are making my mouth water, I love most of the things listed here :-**

With a food processor you can do almost anything. Just throw a load of fruit and veggies in. I love raw carrot & apple smoothies, I usually throw spinach in there too but I reckon most people would be put off by the strange grey colour it turns!

lambchop

#11 Post by lambchop »

Cucumber, shredded beets and spinach all incorporate well into smoothies (the beets help make it a cheery color!) as well as melon and kiwis. I usually make a meatloaf, using uncooked oatmeal in place of most of the breadcrumbs after an adjustment (this is something my husband will eat, too) along with pureed cauliflower (tastes just like mashed potatoes!). Tofu egg salad, cottage cheese, mashed beans, tuna, hummus and scrambled egg whites are definitely on my list, too. And, honestly, after a day or two, chewing starts to feel good...it still hurts, but I guess it's like a teething child!

yogapaws

#12 Post by yogapaws »

Food- Eating-My favorite subject!
I love smoothies with Greek yogurt- I use almond milk & almond butter, banana.
Lentils or black beans with brown rice (easier than white rice) or couscous with avocado & salsa... or peas and broth for soup.
Canned chicken, tuna or salmon with lemon flavored hummus.. and peas or spinach.
Mac n cheese. Noodles with hummus. Portabella mushrooms.
Applesauce & vanilla or honey Greek yogurt.
Pancakes with almond butter & banana.
Eggplant Parmesan.
Oatmeal with walnuts & ground flax seed- if you microwave with milk the nuts soften up- & fruit.
Tofu -fried in soy sauce/ginger.
I have managed brussel sprouts & beets. Asparagus was awful & for some reason I can't manage green beans.

Quiche may work for the egg/cheese group.

AquarianDragon

#13 Post by AquarianDragon »

I eat spinach every day! Either in an egg wrap, florentine quiche or pureed as found in Indian dishes. I get a lot of my veggies through Indian food (my husband is Indian) so I eat a lot of veggies this way and tend to be cooked down a bit softer. Spinach does feel slimey sometimes, but I still eat it since it seems to be an excellent food for us in braces.
Braced in February 2012

BSSO in April 2014

KissMyGlitz

#14 Post by KissMyGlitz »

Glad to see this topic.

I've been eating so many carbs because of the texture. I need to go the shake route, I love the idea.
Thanks everyone.