Are orthodontic records necessary for proper treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyJennifer

Are orthodontic records necessary for proper treatment?

#1 Post by LadyJennifer »

I am wondering if orthodontic records are necessary for proper treatment? Is it a sign of an under qualified ortho if they don't take them first? The first ortho I went to wanted to take them before even quoting a price. He came highly recommended so I did it (for $562! Plus the $100 consult fee) it turns out his treatment was extremely expensive (more than we could afford even with payments) and included jaw surgery, which is way out of range for me and really extreme for the small amt my jaw would be moved (my profile is fine he said). So it sucks that's $700 almost of money we'd saved up down the drain:-(
Anyway I went for a 2nd opinion (free consultation! Yay!) and the new ortho says jaw surgery is extreme and unecessary, and his treatment plan was actually affordable even though he seems to have all the right qualifications. I'm scheduled to get braces on tomorrow, but no mention of records, and I forgot to ask. So if he doesn't do them can he really treat me properly and straighten my teeth/bite correctly?

cavomington

Re: Are orthodontic records necessary for proper treatment?

#2 Post by cavomington »

I only went to the orthodontist that my dentist recommended. He had great reviews, and his ads seemed to be less directed at kids than the others in the area. My xrays, molds, and consultations were all free.

CleoAZ

#3 Post by CleoAZ »

I also went to the ortho that my dentist recommended. He did my son's braces a couple of years ago and the results are beautiful! My consult / impressions / photos were all free.

LadyJennifer

#4 Post by LadyJennifer »

I just found out that what they told me was records is actually impressions. The second ortho does have my x-rays.

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

I had paid for my impressions and photos at one orthodontist, and decided not to go with him. The 2nd orthodontist I consulted with was the one I ended up with, and I just asked the first ortho for my impressions and photos. Since I had already paid for them, technically they were mine. Fortunately, they're only 3 doors apart on the same floor. You may want to try seeing if you can get them.

LadyJennifer

#6 Post by LadyJennifer »

catgyrl wrote:I had paid for my impressions and photos at one orthodontist, and decided not to go with him. The 2nd orthodontist I consulted with was the one I ended up with, and I just asked the first ortho for my impressions and photos. Since I had already paid for them, technically they were mine. Fortunately, they're only 3 doors apart on the same floor. You may want to try seeing if you can get them.
Did that take money off your treatment with the second orthodontist?

NICURN85

#7 Post by NICURN85 »

I went with the orthodontist my dentist uses for his patients and the ortho patients goes to my dentist. It is nice that way because they can communicate to one another throughout my treatment plan. My x-rays and impressions and initial consult were all free. Now I am almost one day away from getting my spacers and brackets installed!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

MisterChris

#8 Post by MisterChris »

Yes, they're necessary and never "free" My consult + impressions and x-rays was $300 with the amount paid credited towards the cost of my treatment. Any orthos offering "free' impressions and x-rays almost certainly have the cost factored into their overall pricing.

kennyandrew85

#9 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Most include them in the treatment cost.
It's a bit harsh to charge them before even being quoted on the treatment cost.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

xanidu2012

#10 Post by xanidu2012 »

My consultation, x-rays, before pics, were free. After that was done after speaking with Orthodontist I left out with spacers between teeth to wear until my brace day. Mister Chris I definitely hear where you're coming from about nothing "free" but its in cost of treatment; but looking at how this Orthodontist's treatment plan worked wonders on my son (wish I could show you son's before/after pics) I will pay if it turns out initial ortho visit wasn't "free" because I know when this is over it would have been money well spent.