Lips sticking out?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lips sticking out?

#1 Post by 77889 »

Hi,
I have a lot of crowding in my bottom teeth and thus my lips stick out too much I think from a side-on profile. Even though my top teeth isn't crowded my top lips still protrude also.
Also, it would be great to also be able to close my lips because I sleep with my mouth open which I don't like to.
I guess it's just because of my narrow arch or something?
Is it just the bone tissue or something that braces won't fix?
Will braces solve this problem? To what extent will my face become more 'flatter' from a side-on profile if I get braces or invisalign? Like only by a few millimeters? Or is there any other way to fix this problem? Like inman aligners or lingual braces something?
I'm after a treatment that is 'quick' or I will not have to go to the orthodontist very often to have any adjustments done etc.
Any photos required let me know.
Kind regards

nikkibabie19

Re: Lips sticking out?

#2 Post by nikkibabie19 »

Hi.

I think your best bet is to have a consult with an actual ortho.
Braces can fix protrusion as well as crowding.
But from what i have learnt fro my ortho and from this board is that protrusion can be a skeletal problem (in which case i think surgery is necessary to correct it) or it can be a jaw alignment case (where braces would be beneficial)

And not everyone is a candidate for invisalign....it depends on the severity of your personal case.

And well for not having to go to the ortho as much....I think if you're getting braces, self ligating brackets should do the trick.

Chao for now...

Me with elastics : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46327

FINALLY Me after braces : http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46650
[/color]

margarets

#3 Post by margarets »

It really depends on your individual case. Braces might correct or improve the problem, or they may not. Consult a few orthos and see what they say.

Unfortunately, braces are not a quick fix, and you will have to go for adjustments etc every six weeks or so. No way around that one.

NICURN85

#4 Post by NICURN85 »

Everyone's case is different. I think you should go to a consult so the orthodonist can take a look at your case. I would also try to go to more than one consult to see what different orthodontists say. Maybe at least three to see if two out the three have the same opinion about your case. The consults are usually free!! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

MakeKeyOver

#5 Post by MakeKeyOver »

During my consultation, the orthodontist asked me if I wanted to decrease the protrusion of my lips with the braces. So it can be done depending on your individual situation. Go for a consultation (or two) and ask lots of questions.

hopeless20312

#6 Post by hopeless20312 »

WE have the same problem. I look horrible on the profile. I think it's a skeletal problem. If your arch is narrow, it could be widened and your protrusion would be less. Or you could try extractions. I'm having braces right now and I'm afraid my ortho does not know that I have been having braces to reduce the protrusion. All she knows is that my teeth are not centered. I think if this braces won't fix this, I'm going to have second opinions and will be having braces.

I don't support surgeries though.
[/url]

hopeless20312

#7 Post by hopeless20312 »

CAn you post photos? on side profile?
[/url]

BraceFace2o1o

#8 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

With a narrow arch braces may help a little but to get a much better result by widening the arch you would probably be looking at surgery along with braces.

As an adult I don't think expanders actually expand the palate like they do in children, they mainly just tip the teeth. I can talk from experience as I had a quad helix (I am in my late 20's) and it did not expand my actual palate, it just tipped my molars and premolars. My molars and premolars were tipped in towards my tongue prior to braces.

I agree to get a few consults and go from there. I was worrying about what I would need/didn't need but a lot of my questions were answered in my consult. I also had a bad first consult and is another reason I recommend people have at least 2 consults with different orthodontists.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

gj88

#9 Post by gj88 »

Do you have any pics?

#10 Post by 77889 »

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions :)
One said I have to get extractions for invisalign to work properly.
I've been asking heaps of questions too.
I am only looking at invisalign, lingual or other invisible methods at this time I guess.
Also what are teeth extractions like? Do they hurt and are you able to eat after them? or?
Going for another consult soon.
btw. the orthodontist said if I get invisalign they can give me the whole box if i go on holiday for a few months. Should I be okay? Or are they usually open to sending my records overseas if I'm on holidays for a while so I can go see another dentist?
Cheers

hopeless20312

#11 Post by hopeless20312 »

I don't really like to recommend invisalign to you because as far I've learned out from people and from this forum, invisaligns are for minor issues. Maybe plain straightening teeth or something. But your concern is your top lip which I guess, is caused by the improper jaw alignment. Get some second opinions though.
[/url]

#12 Post by 77889 »

how can I upload pics?

smilehope

#13 Post by smilehope »

Keep posting a bit more, once your name goes green you can do it
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

#14 Post by 77889 »

Had another consultation yesterday- the ortho said that invisalign wouldn't be able to achieve the results I desire.
He said my top teeth would be moved back around 3mm or so- is that a significant amount? Would my protruding lips close and become less obvious?
Anyone had experience with also having invisalign then going on an overseas holiday for a few months? Did you carry the next few trays with you?
Regards

hopeless20312

#15 Post by hopeless20312 »

I think 3mm isn't enough. You should go with self-ligating braces because it has fewer appointments and it does not just take care of the alignment of your teeth but also with your profile and smile.
[/url]