No pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bezza

No pain?

#1 Post by Bezza »

I have been wearing braces on the upper teeth for 3 weeks.

Day 1, I had three separate bits of arch wire put on, one for the middle 6, missing out the first premolar and then 2 bits of wire for the back 3 teeth on either side, excluding wisdom teeth.

Week 2, I had the first premolars extracted.

Week 3, I had the 3 separate bits of wire removed and replaced with one continuous archwire and 2 power chains to move the canines back into the gap made by the extractions.

That was four days ago and my teeth have moved a lot since the power chains were put on, to the point where I now have a gap between my two front teeth!

What I want to know is, is it normal to not have ANY pain? They feel tender to touch and the braces rub my cheeks a little bit but I can honestly say I have not had any pain, even from the extractions! Is that weird? Is it set to get worse and I'm just lulling myself into a false sense of security?

hopeless20312

Re: No pain?

#2 Post by hopeless20312 »

It's a bit weird for me because in I myself would feel great to little pain in every adjusments but I think I understand how your body adapts to your braces. We have different pain tolerance and you have great pain tolerance.
[/url]

BellaBraces

#3 Post by BellaBraces »

I've not had any pain, unless I have actively bitten down or pressed hard on a tender tooth.

kennyandrew85

#4 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I'm not shocked you have no pain from braces, I've barely been in pain too in 15 months.

But surely the pain after the numbing wore off after the extractions hurt?
For me, the actual pulling of the teeth was easy, but my mouth was in pain a few hours after the injections wore off.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Bezza

#5 Post by Bezza »

After the numbness wore off I had a tingling feeling in the extraction gaps, like pins and needles. It drove me crazy for 2 days but no pain.

The pulling of the teeth was traumatic. I was already braced and the pressure on my two front teeth was intense but as it was numb it didn't hurt. I was expecting it to hurt after the injections wore off and so took some painkillers but it was only as a precaution. I kept waiting for the pain to come but it didn't and I was pleasantly surprised.

I had my wisdom teeth out about 4 years ago and was in agony with dry socket but this time was surprisingly pain free. I think the memory of that was more painful than the actual extracrions!

ca214

#6 Post by ca214 »

Bezza wrote:I have been wearing braces on the upper teeth for 3 weeks.

Day 1, I had three separate bits of arch wire put on, one for the middle 6, missing out the first premolar and then 2 bits of wire for the back 3 teeth on either side, excluding wisdom teeth.

Week 2, I had the first premolars extracted.

Week 3, I had the 3 separate bits of wire removed and replaced with one continuous archwire and 2 power chains to move the canines back into the gap made by the extractions.

That was four days ago and my teeth have moved a lot since the power chains were put on, to the point where I now have a gap between my two front teeth!

What I want to know is, is it normal to not have ANY pain? They feel tender to touch and the braces rub my cheeks a little bit but I can honestly say I have not had any pain, even from the extractions! Is that weird? Is it set to get worse and I'm just lulling myself into a false sense of security?
Sounds like we've had very similar timelines and experiences (I only had one premolar out, but like you, it was a week after braces went on, then I had my lower holding arch placed the next week and a complete archwire added). I've had much less pain than I expected, and seen some solid movement already. The only discomfort was from rubbing this past weekend when I was talking a lot (on a group trip with a bunch of friends). I'm 4 weeks from initial install of my brackets, but it's been far easier than I was prepared for...

C
32 yr old guy from Boston

Upper Ceramics on 6/19/12
Lower Ceramics on 3/25/13
Braces off on 9/23/14

Original estimate of 16 months treatment time - ended up at 27 months.

Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42423

tfischer

#7 Post by tfischer »

for me it depended on what was done in my adjustment. On my last adjustment the ortho placed a power chain on my top 4 teeth. I have had some discomfort, on and off during the month. When its just a regular adjustment, no changing of the wire size, I don't have any discomfort. Kudos to you for not having any discomfort!! :lol:

brace33

#8 Post by brace33 »

I have similar experiences. It's been three weeks since my premolar extractions. I will have my three sections connected this thurs. So far not much pain. I can even eat my regular food. I even ate a boiled corn on the cob yesterday.
33 years old.
Braced: June 26, 2012.
Sentence: 27 months

Dee17

#9 Post by Dee17 »

I'm really hoping that this will be my experience when I get my braces put on at the end of October. I had two extractions over the summer and did not have any pain from either of those. So, I've got my fingers crossed!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

I hope i have a similar experience to yours regarding the extractions haha

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

BraceFace2o1o

#11 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

BellaBraces wrote:I've not had any pain, unless I have actively bitten down or pressed hard on a tender tooth.
This!

But I have found some people really don't experience any or much discomfort at all. In the very early days I did and especially when biting down or chewing. Now I'm towards the end I do not experience any discomfort at all after adjustments, but I guess that's because nothing's really moving as we're nearly done.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Dee17

#12 Post by Dee17 »

My wish is that everyone who is wearing braces has no pain ever! Especially with their extractions!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/