Lips sticking out?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Re: Lips sticking out?

#16 Post by 77889 »

ok, any other suggestions?

#17 Post by 77889 »

self-ligating braces- do you mean like lingual braces? Incognito?
How much faster are these than normal? Don't they cut-up your tongue on the lower teeth?
How are they more easier to keep clean?
Regards

hopeless20312

#18 Post by hopeless20312 »

From what I've learned from the Internet, self-ligating braces or Damon braces are much faster than the usual traditional braces. It improves your teeth's alignment and smile. I'm using traditional braces though. XD

Just google it if you want to know more. Regards.
[/url]

#19 Post by 77889 »

Aren't Damon braces the same as normal ones? Only they also come in clear? that's what I found?...

margarets

#20 Post by margarets »

You should go with self-ligating braces because it has fewer appointments and it does not just take care of the alignment of your teeth but also with your profile and smile.
ALL braces correct the alignment of your teeth AND issues with your profile and smile.

"Self-ligating" just refers to the method of attaching the wire to the brackets, a little "door" vs. elastics or wires. It has nothing to do with treatment time or results.

Your appointments might go a little quicker because self-ligating braces are faster for the tech (which makes the ortho's practice more efficient and therefore more profitable - the real draw for the ortho), but all the various brace types will move your teeth. It's the ortho's job to make sure your teeth end up in the right place and that includes your profile and smile.

#21 Post by 77889 »

Ok, anyone had more experiences with these self-litigating ones?
cheers

Kipepeo

#22 Post by Kipepeo »

Self ligating are smaller, more comfortable (less hooks sticking out, or smoother), visits are spaced farther apart (8-10 weeks instead of 4), wire changes are quicker as stated above, there are no ligatures to get stained.

All the rest is pretty much the same. Even the visit schedules can vary. I'm now on a 6-8 week schedule. My daughter in traditional brackets is on an every 4 week schedule.

sweetcynic

#23 Post by sweetcynic »

I have a slightly different issue with similar results - When I relax my lips the upper one protrudes due to an overjet & deep bite, exposing about 1.5cm of my teeth, which the ortho at my consult said was was more than normal. I'm a little worried that the whole having to pull my upper lip down to not look like a fool in public will get worse before it gets better with braces. Still should be worth it in the long term/