uncomfortable after extractions - when does it end??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutebraceface

uncomfortable after extractions - when does it end??

#1 Post by cutebraceface »

Hi, all!

I'm a newbie here and I just got my braces about a week ago - ceramic uppers and lowers. Adjusting to them the first week was actually not so bad and I didn't really experience any pain. Three days ago I had all 4 premolars removed to make room for my upcoming perfect smile. How annoying! Besides being paranoid about "dislodging the clot" and getting dry socket, I have this constant sensitive, itchy-like feeling in my teeth where I just want to clamp down or grit my teeth or something. Does anyone have a clue what I'm describing or am I alone in this? I'm also brushing and using salt water rinses, but man my breath is really suffering!

So all in all, I'm not in any pain but I am in extreme discomfort and annoyance. I know it's only been 3 days, but does anyone have any insight to when things might start to feel normal again? I haven't eaten anything soft and solid for fear of getting things stuck in the holes!

Thanks in advance!

klobird

Re: uncomfortable after extractions - when does it end??

#2 Post by klobird »

The itchy gum feeling happens in the first few months of braces, and less so later, and YES it will drive you bonkers!! :crazy: I found that clenching my teeth helped the itching but, for me, probably the worst thing to do....

I have only experienced it a couple of times in the last year or so...it gets better!!

christa

#3 Post by christa »

It took me a little over 2 weeks to get used to it and chew normally. Hang in there!

artichokeenthusiast

#4 Post by artichokeenthusiast »

cutebraceface, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I just got all 4 premolars out today and I can barely eat pudding/soup without getting paranoid about dislodging my clots. :( Good luck to us both...
Damon Clear on upper & lower, 4 first premolar extractions; 4 TADs

Heavyweight

#5 Post by Heavyweight »

How long does it take to close these extractions sites with retraction?

kennyandrew85

#6 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Cold yoghurt works wonders
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

cutebraceface

#7 Post by cutebraceface »

Thanks, everyone. The itchy feeling has gotten a little better so thank goodness for that. Drinking cold water kind of helps. Artichokeenthusiast, keep me posted on how your healing goes. I'm still paranoid of these clots, but my hunger has taken over and I'm going to graduate to mashed potatoes today!

artichokeenthusiast

#8 Post by artichokeenthusiast »

I'm also not experiencing pain, just a little intermittent aching and a constant paranoia about whether I'm sucking my spit or otherwise creating some kind of suction in my mouth!
All of my extraction sites have a lot of white stuff around the edges but a google search led me to believe that it's just "granulation tissue" (apparently part of the normal healing process?). It kind of just looks like plaque though :( But I'm trying to leave it alone for now.
Do you have this too, Cutebraceface?

cutebraceface

#9 Post by cutebraceface »

Yep, sure do. I also did a lot of internet "research" about it because it seemed like something I should try to get rid of. I had a follow-up with my dentist today and he assured me that it is completely normal and necessary. It's the mouth's way of scabbing and it will return to pink as it heals. So, good job for leaving it alone! :thumbsup:

It definitely feels like there's more spit than usual and I do feel suction in those spaces when trying to "dry things out". Doc told me healing was going well and I should be out of the dry socket phase by now, but to keep being careful for another day. He also told me to do cold salt water rinses till Friday and I should be ok. He said it was ok to chew soft food, but I'll probably still wait until next week just to be safe. :wink:

Hope this helps!
Braced Oct 2, 2012
Ceramic uppers and lowers
4 biscupid extractions

artichokeenthusiast

#10 Post by artichokeenthusiast »

That's awesome news! I hear ya about avoiding the soft food to be extra safe - After only 3 days I'm already tired of Campbell's soup, apple sauce, pudding and protein shakes, but I'm also reluctant to try anything solid that could end up in the holes. :P
You're almost there, Cutebraceface! Please do keep us updated as to when the holes start healing over with pink gums. I'm so lucky you're 3 days ahead of me so I know what I have to look forward to. :)

Oh, one more thing- did you notice that the gums around the extraction sites look kind of...grayish or pale? I may be imagining it though. :lol:

cutebraceface

#11 Post by cutebraceface »

I think the grayish-pale look is probably just a thin layer of that white film and I will definitely update on my healing process. I'm happy to offer any insight I can. I'm loving the fact that I stumbled upon this site! :-*
Braced Oct 2, 2012
4 biscupid extractions

cutebraceface

#12 Post by cutebraceface »

So it has been 2 weeks since my extractions and things are healing up nicely. I finally got over my fear and ate solid food (baked fish) on day 10 without any problems. Since then, I've been eating lots of things (pasta, meatloaf, grilled cheese, hash browns) but am still staying away from anything too crunchy. I bought myself one of those bulbs that people use to suction out babies' noses and have been using it to flush any food particles out of my sockets with water. The water stream is not too thin, so it's very gentle and it works like a charm! My gums are returning to a nice pink and things are finally starting to feel normal. First adjustment is in one week, so I'm excited for the next phase!
Braced Oct 2, 2012
4 biscupid extractions