Very worried..please help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mdoodm1000

Very worried..please help!

#1 Post by Mdoodm1000 »

So I have had ceramic braces on my top teeth since May, and I just got metal on the bottom yesterday. When I first sat down, the assistant seemed to be removing the elastic ligatures on my top teeth. I thought this was a little strange considering I just got them and my wire changed on the 11th. However, I didn't say anything. She then put on my lower braces, and told me I could leave. Without thinking, I left. Now when I touch my wire, it seems to move slightly. I really can't tell if there are ligatures or not. How much damage could not having the ligatures possibly do? Should I call the ortho? Any advice is appreciated.

kennyandrew85

Re: Very worried..please help!

#2 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Call Ortho straight away, it won't do any damage, just delay treatment.

You should be able to see the ligs? Put a picture up it's quite easy to spot even on clear ceramics like I have too.
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Mdoodm1000

#3 Post by Mdoodm1000 »

Ugh I just checked my voicemail, and sure enough, I had one from my ortho saying that one of his assistants forgot to tie in my wire. They're only open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday :x I guess I'll go in Friday and hope this doesn't delay treatment too much. I'm so livid right now.

klobird

#4 Post by klobird »

Wow! That's a pretty big and obvious mistake!

What I would do is talk to the office mgr. and request that you have an assistant that might be a better fit for you-(that's less reactive and engages the mgr. to listen and want to help...)

For the first few visits, I had an assistant that I couldn't stand. I was angry for weeks. Finally I had a conversation with the mgr.. I didn't go off about the assistant--just explained the problems, and asked that I not have her as my assistant anymore. I asked if I could have a more "mature" assistant. It was a productive conversation--and because it wasn't reactive and offensive, I got what I wanted. Also, because of that, my subsequent visits have been really good for both them and me. When I walk in, I'm pretty sure that there are no hard feelings on either side. I am satisfied that the rest of my treatment will be enjoyable.

I really feel your pain--just don't let it go as long as I did!!

Good luck!

EbonyQ

#5 Post by EbonyQ »

She must have had her thoughts somewhere else :lol: Maybe she was new? I’m sure (or I hope) she learnt something from it :wink:

I don’t do "treatments" often but when I do them I have two golden rules:
1) always finish one jaw before starting on the other one.
2) double check the work. All teeth got ligatures? No poking arch wires? Pt still alive? That’s the joke I sometimes ask our pt that when I’m finish “Are you still alive?”
And boss always check the work before we send the pt away :thumbsup:

[/url]

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

Your ortho should always check the work before you leave.

gemini4

#7 Post by gemini4 »

Trying to make this a little bit of a positive thing ... I wonder if it would be OK for you to pull your wire out and do a really thorough job of flossing right before you leave for your appointment? Just a thought to get some advantage from the mistake.