My midline is off + bimaxillary protrusion

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hopeless20312

My midline is off + bimaxillary protrusion

#1 Post by hopeless20312 »

Although the bimaxillary protrusion is not addressed prior to the treatment, I haven't gotten any extractions which bothers me because i think having this braces would become useless to the fact that i am having this not just to straighten my teeth but to functionally treat/reduce my protrusion. and my midline is off. Although my upper right premolar was extracted long before i had braces because of tooth decay. and i think that is the reason why my midline is off, upper midline. my lower arch is kind of okay.

worse, my ortho is unsure of treating my midline unless i have my other left premolars extracted. and i really want to treat my bimaxillary protrusion and im afraid this 3 years burden would be useless if it wouldn't be treated. what would i say to her? like do i need to confront her about the bimaxillary protrusion. are extractions essential in bimax treatment?

i wished i had another opinion from other orthos. god do i regret this one. anyways, if this will come out wrong, i would have another braces from other ortho.. HELP

What should i tell her regarding the bimaxillary protrusion and the midline?
[/url]

Mirai404

Re: My midline is off + bimaxillary protrusion

#2 Post by Mirai404 »

Tell her you are concern about your bimaxillary protrusion and ask her if she is treating it. If she says she is treating it but not telling how she is treating it, bug her on it, ask her what is your treatment plan. Do it in a polite way, not very aggressively like some people do. I don't understand how can a ortho be unsure of how to treat your midline. Since you have only the right upper premolar extracted, most likely you will need to remove the other side of premolar in order to achieve symmetry. My ortho refused to not extract only one of lower premolar and leave the other one because he is concern about the symmetry and the bite.

I've read that most people with bimaxillary protrusion requires 4 premolars to be remove depending on the severity. minor bimaxillary protrusion can be prevented with functional appliances.
I am not an ortho so don't take my words seriously. If you don't buy what your ortho says, seek another professional. :)

ferh

Re: My midline is off + bimaxillary protrusion

#3 Post by ferh »

I know ithis post is very old but I'd just like to advise anyone not to be ashamed or scared to talk to your ortho. Why would someone spend that amount of time and money not to get the best possible results. Speak out :) !