Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Darrinoc

Elastics

#1 Post by Darrinoc »

My ortho gave only one bag of Elastics to last a month. Do you need to replace them each cleaning/meal or once a day? Is it advised to use more than one to improve the effectiveness?

oktobergoud

Re: Elastics

#2 Post by oktobergoud »

My orthodontist told me to replace them every night, before I go to bed. So once a day, but I know many people do it after every meal or something. I do so now too! I only get one bag a time as well though, so I had to get back a few weeks ago to get a new one.. :?

oktobergoud

#3 Post by oktobergoud »

Darrinoc wrote: Is it advised to use more than one to improve the effectiveness?
Do you mean like wear 2 elastics instead of 1 at the same time?? If so: no, that won't help at all. From what I understand, it's really bad to do that and will even make it worse instead of better!

Angel21

#4 Post by Angel21 »

I'm in the same boat! Just got given one bag of elastics on my last adjustment, I thought they only needed to be changed once a day but a lot of people say they change them about 3+ times a day. It certainly doesn't look enough for that! I might have to go back and get some more, or maybe they can send them out to you by post?

Roboto

#5 Post by Roboto »

I usually get 2 bags so I can keep one in my purse and one at home. For the most part, I change mine whenever I have to take them out of my mouth.. that usually means they've been in a few hours anyway. I think there are like 100 elastics in one of those little bags so you could change them more than twice a day. Some days I probably only change them 3 times, but on average I'd say I change them way more. I don't hesitate to ask the ortho for more and he's even told me that they can send them in the mail if need be.. so just give your office a call and see what they say! They're usually just proud to hear that you're wearing your elastics like a good patient! lol

Darrinoc

#6 Post by Darrinoc »

Thanks everyone. I must have OCD. I just think it's gross to reuse those rubberbands after each meal/cleaning. After having braces for a year, I would do just about anything to help complete the time. Seems like a jail sentence and getting out early for good behavior, so I'm obsessed with always wearing these elastics.