Life after braces - great!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mary.

Life after braces - great!

#1 Post by mary. »

A few years ago I got braces at the age of 40. I had always needed them and my crooked teeth were very noticeable. I was so scared to get braces, but you know what I didn't find it hardly as bad as I had anticipated - some discomfort at times but that's about it. I had them on for 2-1/2 years, but oddly enough that time seemed to go by a lot quicker than I anticipated.

I thought when I had the braces that I might not want people to see them. Turned out that the opposite occurred! I was so proud of myself for finally getting braces, I loved flashing them to everyone. Since I was so happy and proud about it, so were all the people around me! That part was really cool, their reactions were awesome (and encouraging).

Well fast forward a couple years and I could not be happier!!! It's the best thing I ever did! My smile got bigger and bigger, and I started to just love smiling. My confidence grew. And the compliments - oh my I get them all the time, often from people who have never met me. One lady said the other day "you have a gorgeous smile, it's like its right out of a magazine"! Wow, does it ever feel nice to hear those compliments. And, you guessed it, my smile gets even bigger.

I know many of you are dealing with treatment and some of its discomforts. I just wanted to post this because I know most of you will be feeling like I am soon enough. And do be proud of yourself during the journey, and let others be happy for you too! And above all, keep smiling!!!

dojo

Re: Life after braces - great!

#2 Post by dojo »

Mary, we all thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It's so nice seeing how happy this made you. Life in braces is not the most exciting thing, but the results make it all worth while. Enjoy your beautiful smile and congratulations for doing all the work to get there :)
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

Ellabelle

#3 Post by Ellabelle »

Thank you for sharing, Mary. That is wonderful and so inspiring!

Gravecat

#4 Post by Gravecat »

Wow. Thanks for sharing your story, Mary. I just posted a new topic called "New to braces..." a moment ago about my new journey to braces.

Like you, I am in my forties and I got braces for the first time. I have had a lot of pain and constant, relentless headaches. I am so encouraged when I read your story. It makes me want to hang in there even though yesterday I was contemplating calling the ortho today and getting them off. I don't want to, that would be a shameful waste of money and I need braces right now, but the pain was wearing down my resolve.

I am so glad you posted. I am a bit more encouraged, though still very uncomfortable.

Thank you very much!

Kristina "Gravecat"

mary.

#5 Post by mary. »

@ Gravecat - I know it's uncomfortable at first, but I do recall the first month being the worst, it got so much easier. My ortho had recommended advil when I needed it and I did not hesitate to use it. However, it was amazing how quickly I got used to them. After the first few weeks, it'll likely get a lot easier. It's a shock to the system, so the body needs some time to adjust. I would not hesitate to ask your ortho any questions that you have. I did that a number of times and he did not mind at all and it put my mind at ease. Best wishes, and do know that it will get better for you.

dizzy34

#6 Post by dizzy34 »

Its lovely to read your post and see what a difference braces have made to you. 2 years seems a long time at the moment:(

Beth8987

#7 Post by Beth8987 »

[quote="Gravecat"]Wow. Thanks for sharing your story, Mary. I just posted a new topic called "New to braces..." a moment ago about my new journey to braces.

Like you, I am in my forties and I got braces for the first time. I have had a lot of pain and constant, relentless headaches. I am so encouraged when I read your story. It makes me want to hang in there even though yesterday I was contemplating calling the ortho today and getting them off. I don't want to, that would be a shameful waste of money and I need braces right now, but the pain was wearing down my resolve.

I am so glad you posted. I am a bit more encouraged, though still very uncomfortable.

Thank you very much!

Kristina "Gravecat"[/quote]

Gravecat, I'm new. I'm also over 40 and in Indiana. My dentist recommended the orthodontic group you chose.
Can you tell me what they helped you fix?
I possibly need oral surgery too.

Tyrantblade

#8 Post by Tyrantblade »

Im going to be done soon, in September they said (if nothing pushes it back further, was originally gonna be done in August), but then ive got 2 implants to pay for somehow as i have a front tooth missing and a molar, both on top.

Then i will finally be fully done.
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

throne

#9 Post by throne »

Super encouraging post, I needed this today! Thanks!