Elastics Names (bear? unicorn? ostrich?)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lala7603

#16 Post by Lala7603 »

i think mine were seals...but it was so long ago....it was either that or sea lions..lol
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

spragers

#17 Post by spragers »

I've got Foxes & Panthers, woot!

stargirl

#18 Post by stargirl »

I used to have some Lions...

Then I had some boring "C" elastics. Not nearly as fun as the lions... and more painful!

sarcpres

#19 Post by sarcpres »

i am wearing the Sea Lion elastics (1/4, heavy 6.5 ounces). Does anyone know about the strength of this size? Are they really "heavy" or do they get a lot worse?
round 2! Already had them as a teen for two and a half years!

[/url]

Braces on June 2, 2005

BracesAt42

I had countries...

#20 Post by BracesAt42 »

I had two types of elastics, both named for countries.

First I had Japan, which I wore for about 1 year; these went from my top arch to the bottom and corrected my overbite. I forgot the two teeth numbers or names that had the hooks, but it was a pretty standard configuration. Not too noticeable, and very easy to put in and take out.

Then, the real fun began; for my last month, I had Ireland, which were much longer and were worn in a zig-zag pattern, across all teeth on the top and bottom arch, except for my front 2 teeth on top and bottom arch. Wow, what a chore to put those in, and when I woke in the morning, my whole mouth was "sewn" shut. Luckily I only had to wear those at night.

Ah, fond memories.

I am afraid I will always think back to my braces day should I travel internationally!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, Braces at Age 42!
Damon 2's
Braces On: 9-18-2003
Braces Off: 7-13-2005

HollyDontSpend

WOW!

#21 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I had no idea how many names there were for elastics!

I wear Ram elastics and my sister wears Impala elastics
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

rooroo

#22 Post by rooroo »

I had Freds. Others names I saw were Sam, George.

I like the idea of elastics named after countries. So which bands are the heaviest, or strongest?
2 year Invisalign patient graduated to ceramics to finish up treatment

Vonster

#23 Post by Vonster »

Impalas here (3/16 heavy)...same as my son wore. I never knew there were so many different names for them--pretty funny!

Vonster

Damon 3's, top and bottom
April 5, 2005

mzgworkaholic

Mine are called

#24 Post by mzgworkaholic »

My elastics are called Bummers. I laughed when I read it. If you are around my age, 33, "bummer" was a real popular saying, i.e. what a bummer! And they are exactly what they should be called cause everytime I put them on, I say Bummer now and then giggle a little.

cbraces

Re: Elastics Names (bear? unicorn? ostrich?)

#25 Post by cbraces »

swiftchick wrote:I have these elastics that say "unicorn" on the bag. i remember my sister had "ostrich" elastics with a pic of an ostrich on the bag (we used them for hairbands after she got her braces off...hehe) and i remember my friend had elastics called "bear" with a drawing of a grizzly bear on the bag.

anyway i was wondering what elastics other people have. i remember someone said they had elastics that had guy's names instead of animal names.

so what are yours called?
Hey there, in our office we have owls, bears, and rams. That's just the strength of the elastics. People do find it quite hilarious..

swiftchick

#26 Post by swiftchick »

hey you guys, thanks for your input... it was very entertaining. :P
i guess it was like an informal survey of elastic names. now we have an amazing array of them.

today i went to the orthodontist and i don't have to wear my unicorns anymore... ah well. maybe later i'll get them back!

AustinWired

#27 Post by AustinWired »

No one has mentioned mine! I have sea otters! :lol:
Braced 1/27/2005
De-Braced 12/5/2005
Ceramic brackets, now in Essix retainers!

mtbrncofn

#28 Post by mtbrncofn »

That's funny stuff. I guess that's a little something to look forward to. I was actually hoping I'd be one of the lucky ones and skip them, but I asked the assistant last time and she said she was pretty sure they were in my future.

Darn.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

Evelyn

#29 Post by Evelyn »

Mine are just plain 'L' elastics...how boring. I want animals!
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

metalmouth moi

#30 Post by metalmouth moi »

Red Lions here , 2 on each side ....ROAR
metal braces upper and lower May 12/05