Anyone else have problems with their powerchains?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracesBlueKK

Anyone else have problems with their powerchains?

#1 Post by BracesBlueKK »

Thee first time I broke my power chain, was entirely my fault. I was in a foul mood, and ended up eating a skor bar (actually eating it, not sucking on it until it dissolves).

Now this time I can't pinpoint what happened. I eat carefully, and I try and make sure harder food is broken into smaller bites so that I can eat it. One of the only things I can remember that might have snapped one link of my power chain would be salad. I remember feeling something almost like a snap, and I thought that perhaps I had knocked out some food. But tonight I had stew for dinner, and that had some steak in it. All I was trying to 'pull' out some of the meat stuck in my braces, I noticed that my powerchain felt odd. So I used a flashlight to see, and lo and behold I have broken my powerchain in the exact same spot as last time. :ThumbsDown:

Why did it break so easy this time? It could have only been a few kinds of food as I've been relatively good about food this time.

I dunno. I'm just annoyed and stuff. I also feel a little stupid for this happening twice now! And both time so close to my actual appointment. :oops: :cry:

Anyone else have issues with their powerchains?

Marigold

Re: Anyone else have problems with their powerchains?

#2 Post by Marigold »

Wow, I didn't think those things could break that easily. I never had problems like that with mine, and I've eaten things I shouldn't too. My only problem was that it made it harder to floss around and keep clean.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

TMJJill

#3 Post by TMJJill »

I haven't had any problems with mine.

What color are you wearing? I've been told the clear ones are a bit stronger than some of the colored ones.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

BracesBlueKK

#4 Post by BracesBlueKK »

Sorry I haven't replied; exams kept me busy.

I have red ones on because it seemed Christmas'y. I had silver ones on last time.

I'll have to see if they have clear.

It's really annoying and feels weird (and I'm worried that I'm screwing up my progress), but I have my adjustment tomorrow. Hopefully I won't get scolded for have it snapped in the same spot twice in a row.

I really hate these stupid things haha. Food definitely gets stuck easier, even if they are smoother under my lips.

emmazzy

#5 Post by emmazzy »

Same thing happened to me, I had a piece of bread stuck on the bottom powerchain so I kept poking it, it wasnt until my monthly adjustment that I was told that I had ripped it. They told me I set back my treatment =P Its white and the only bad part is when you eat something that stains or turns them dark, they look gross. Last week, my bottom powerchain popped out while I was flossing. Thankfully, it was only from two brackets and I was able to get them back on myself since they couldnt fit me that week. I just had my monthly adjustment today and they removed the bottom powerchain. I never had any problems with the top powerchain.

Angel269

#6 Post by Angel269 »

Seems ok to me. I have mainly had tooth coloured powerchains across the top 6.

Had some clears to start with, which weren't as stong/close and glad I am on the others as the clear stained quite easily.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13