teeth extraction, fixed braces...getting really nervous!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jamie83

teeth extraction, fixed braces...getting really nervous!

#1 Post by Jamie83 »

I still have 5 weeks before my first two premolars are removed, four days later the next two are removed and then seven days later i get my brace on. I have never had anything done to my teeth and i am getting SO nervous about the extractions!

All i can invision is having teeth pulled and having massive gaps up into my gums for a month (and that makes me feel so nauseous..such an irrational thought!)

I work one-to-one and have to go back to work the day after my extractions and the day my brace is put on...will i be able to talk normally? i mean four premolars (two top, two bottom) gone, and a brace....will i lisp?? trying to talk after extractions and even getting a brace fitted must be hard??

Too much time to think is not a good thing! :shock:

also because it all takes place over two weeks I feel like i won't be able to eat much because of the extraction (holes and pain) and then I get my braces on... and I was wondering if anyone found they lost weight intially because of their extractions/braces? I don't want to lose weight thats why i'm asking ... i know it sounds odd but the thought of food getting stuck in the extraction gum holes makes me feel sick and makes me think about just having a liquidish diet until they heal over! :soremouth:

i knwo so many questions! I'm just so nervous and don't know what to expect!

thanks to anyone who made it this far :)

kennyandrew85

Re: teeth extraction, fixed braces...getting really nervous!

#2 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I don't want to make it worse for you but your gaps will be open for longer than 1 month.

Depending on which way the teeth are moved, I'm 22 months in and still have about 1mm gap left on the top.
My back teeth were moved forward which takes longer but even still it will take a few months at least for gaps to close.

You will be able to talk no problem, although I can't whistle as good anymore!

The extractions are painless, it will ache a bit after it's done for a few days and you will need to eat soft foods but you will regain any initial weight you might lose :-)

Hope it goes well, it will be worth it in the end!
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

Jamie83

#3 Post by Jamie83 »

thanks that was helpful feel a lot more reassured :)
glad to hear you didn't have any speech problems :)

yea the ortho said i'd have the gaps for most of the time i have a brace (2 and a half years) but i mean the extraction holes..where the root goes up into the gums..that hole... :/

EmilieMW

#4 Post by EmilieMW »

I had an extraction on the top next to my canine, and an extraction of an incisor on my bottom set. The extraction process was painless, although I got so nervous I nearly didn't go in! I was concerned about how the holes would look but everyone has told me that they can hardly see the extraction gap on the bottom set - that was my biggest worry as I have to deal with people 1 to 1 and do a lot of negotiation. Its had its ups and downs (I'm 6 months in) and I did lose weight at the start but its well worth it and when you see the first bit of movement you will be so happy.

I had a very slight lisp when the top set of braces went on but that has since gone and I forget I'm wearing braces most of the time. I have about a year to go and its the best thing I have done in a long time.

I hope this helps!

JillD

#5 Post by JillD »

What's the reason for having two extraction sessions? I had seven teeth extracted all at once. I cannot imagine going through it twice even though it wasn't painful. Also I took at least three days off after the extractions. I was advised to do that and I am glad that I did.

Jamie83

#6 Post by Jamie83 »

JillD wrote:What's the reason for having two extraction sessions? I had seven teeth extracted all at once. I cannot imagine going through it twice even though it wasn't painful. Also I took at least three days off after the extractions. I was advised to do that and I am glad that I did.
oh my goodness 7 teeth at once! the dentist said he wouldn't take four at the same time because it would be too much (i'm assuming his meaning physically) in one go and he only does 2 and 2. It's just with an injection in the mouth. I wish he would do it all at the same time, get it all over and done with! the thought of going twice :/
thatnks for the heads up with taking a few days off work :)

AdultGettingBraces

#7 Post by AdultGettingBraces »

My dentist prefers to do 2 at a time as well. It doesn't cost any more, or wouldn't even take much longer to take out the extra 2, I'm sure it would save them time to do 4 at once.

I was really glad to have just the two done at once, I got my left done today, easy, painless, and I get to eat on my right side while it heals.

I'm also lucky that its been far enough back that its not visible unless I smile very very wide.

missblu3

#8 Post by missblu3 »

I had 4 extractions at once (upper and lower 5's, a.k.a. bicuspids), and went to work the next day for a 16 hour shift. Didn't get the braces until one week after extractions, and again, went to work the next day. Haven't really experienced any lisping, however I think I speak softer??? No one can hear me now, ha ha. Maybe I'm subconsciously self-conscious about it. :P

In-Ovation C Upper Arch, In-Ovation R Lower Arch

Lenny

#9 Post by Lenny »

I had two extractions on the top followed by braces and I've regretted it ever since. I am now trying to find an orthodontist to reopen the spaces so I can get implants. It changed my face, my teeth are recessed now, my smile sunken and my lip is flat. Obviously I don't know what your exact issues are but just make sure you get other opinions before having the extractions done. I see from the posts here that people are still getting extractions and they seem to be fine with it. In my case it was the wrong decision and I did use a respected orthodontist. My mistake was not getting other opinions. There is a book by S. Kent Lauson called Straight Talk about Crooked Teeth the New Orthodontics. He is a functional orthodontist and claims to be able to expand the jaw with appliances even in adults to avoid extractions. I haven't read the book yet but I'm planning on it. I don't mean to scare you , only to warn you to investigate it thoroughly before proceeding with the extractions.

rebecca121760

#10 Post by rebecca121760 »

Read Dr. Lauson's book!!

bracesman

#11 Post by bracesman »

Hi I think the reason why they don't do it all at once is because the body might take the pain as a shock and youcould have a heart attack as not long ago a dentist extracted all of a patient's teeth that they ended up dying in the chair.
2 sittings are better.

7 teeth extracted. Why so many for braces
would anyone like minded like to meet and chat about life with their braces