Hi! I'm new!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Alisonpv

Hi! I'm new!

#1 Post by Alisonpv »

I'm in the "doing research" phase! (and OMG is there a lot of information!)

I'm 32 years old and I recently got dental insurance again after being without for 6 years or so after college. So I began my journey in Oct 2012 in getting dental work caught up... (What a mess happens in 5 years of no cleanings!)

So far: 2 root canals, 7 fillings, 1 extraction and scaling and root planing.

To do: 2 crowns (for root canal'ed teeth), periodontal treatment for 2 lower front teeth, orthodontics.

My dentist gave me a referral to a local orthodontist, but he isn't local enough, concerning time off of work for appointments/adjustments. So I'm researching WHERE to get work done.

I am sort of close to Tufts University, and will be researching them for cost comparison as well.

This is my "requisite" "I'm not a spammer" post :)

quentin

Re: Hi! I'm new!

#2 Post by quentin »

Welcome to the forum! Wow that's a lot of dental work to be dealing with! Good for you to have dental insurance, and to be on the way to an even better smile.

I hope you find a good local orthodontist that works for you!
Braced: 11 Feb 2013
Debraced: 13 Aug 2014
Expected duration: 24 months
Actual duration: 18 months
Damon Clear uppers (all); Damon metal lowers
http://fullmetalpanda.wordpress.com/

SunshineRay

#3 Post by SunshineRay »

Hi, Im in the researching phase too. I also dont have many options available close to me so I understand where you are coming from!

Ciara

#4 Post by Ciara »

Wow, that is a lot of work! I got my braces in November and did a lot of research in the months leading up to that and remember how stressful and time consuming it was. Good luck and congratulations on starting your journey.

Tobilei

#5 Post by Tobilei »

I did loads of reading and research too. Just about drove myself insane with all the options available! Good luck with the process of getting the smile you're after :)

Alisonpv

#6 Post by Alisonpv »

Well I got a wonderful surprise when I checked our insurance... it covers adult orthodontics! Score! (50% up to $3k). So I feel less obligated to go to the Dental School all the way in Boston.

I got 2 appointments for free consultations... One from the Dentist referral, and one a bit closer to work...

However I'm still 15 minutes from the closest orthodontist from work... My biggest concern is time OFF work to get adjustments, How long do those appointments take usually? As far as I understand it's every 4-6 weeks?

Unfortunately, my office isn't so flexible :(

Alisonpv

#7 Post by Alisonpv »

Ironically.. the Dentist referral is Todd Rowe.... and while digging through articles, I see he apparently wrote an article for this website on the Damon Bracket System (It won't let me link it?)

SunshineRay

#8 Post by SunshineRay »

wow, what kind of insurance do you have? I didnt think any of them covered adult ortho. Congrats!

oldfart

#9 Post by oldfart »

No adult ortho coverage here. But when I went in I reminded them that I had four kids potentially seeking treatment and they immediately lowered the cost $600 before even looking at my kids. Also I offered to hand out thier business cards and post thier information at my TaeKwonDo school.

They want your business, and everything is negotiable. Obviously first find one you like. But be sure to drop hints like "Well, your one of three consults." or "I found one I like, but looking for one a bit cheaper." Even if its BS. Especially if there are multiple orhodontists in the same area vying for your business.

The total for me and my three kids came to $10,200 out of pocket. So I also said, "Well I need to keep it no more than $10k"

So they waived another $200. Overall mine ended up being about $1000 less than their first price given.

Good Luck.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Alisonpv

#10 Post by Alisonpv »

The insurance is Delta Dental under my fiancee's plan...

I have coverage under my job as well with Blue Cross Blue Shield, but that plan does not cover ANY orthodontics (adults OR children)

I unfortunately (or fortunately?) have no children, and my fiancee doesn't need orthodontic work, so I have less bargaining chips (but also less expense I guess lol )

But there are a few orthodontists around, I'll take the advice and try putting them against each other... See who wins :)

Tobilei

#11 Post by Tobilei »

Adjustments generally don't take very long. My last one took about 20 minutes because 2 brackets debonded while I was in the chair and they had to re-attach them but generally they take 5-10 minutes.

Ciara

#12 Post by Ciara »

Alisonpv wrote:Well I got a wonderful surprise when I checked our insurance... it covers adult orthodontics! Score! (50% up to $3k). So I feel less obligated to go to the Dental School all the way in Boston.

I got 2 appointments for free consultations... One from the Dentist referral, and one a bit closer to work...

However I'm still 15 minutes from the closest orthodontist from work... My biggest concern is time OFF work to get adjustments, How long do those appointments take usually? As far as I understand it's every 4-6 weeks?

Unfortunately, my office isn't so flexible :(
I've had 3 adjustments in total. They have all taken about 45 minutes to an hour but we do a lot of talking. Less talking and it would be under 30 minutes. Perhaps you can schedule your appointments for the weekend or after work.

SparklyMouth

#13 Post by SparklyMouth »

This is a GREAT place for research! You get answers to questions you didn't know you had :)

Ask your dentist for another referral if possible. Most consults are free and since you're making an investment (in yourself), you want to feel confident and comfortable with the orthodontist. I actually followed my dentist's referral, but went to USC's dental school for a consult. Honestly, the dental school consult scared me away. Cost-wise, the ortho was a little less and I liked her and her staff (and her office is nice and airy).

Keep visiting and asking questions on the board. You'll be posting "I did it" before you know it :)

Alisonpv

#14 Post by Alisonpv »

You're totally right... tons of info! :) I took a peek at the "cost of braces" thread... be still my beating heart! :shock:

I have 2 consultations with different offices scheduled... the first for March 26th, and the other for April 12th.

I am getting married (on a cruise!) in June... so I definitely don't want anything "visible" before then...

I'm a bit nervous, but also excited! I just want all the dental drama to be over... it's been a TON of work since October... for a while there I was going every single Monday night...

I think I have a memorial wing in the office at this point.

I got my braces on June 21, 2013

SunshineRay

#15 Post by SunshineRay »

Bummer. I checked Delta dental for private plans and they dont offer ortho so it must be a special thing with his company. Thats awesome for you!!