Wisdom Tooth...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Samantha

Wisdom Tooth...

#1 Post by Samantha »

I am miserable! My bottom left Wisdom Tooth is starting to push it's way through. It's impacted, so it's making the rest of my jaw sore. And on the top of my gum behind my last tooth, it's seperated (I guess you could call it that) and it's bleeding... So, if I forget and run my tongue over it, it starts bleeding all over again. It's so gross and making me sick to my stomach!

I'm calling the oral surgeon today, I need to get all 4 removed, I've cancelled twice out of fear, but now is the time! No turning back!

How can I get it to stop bleeding? And do you think it can wait about a month? This Oral Surgeon is booked about a month in advance.. just for the consultation... then it takes about 2 weeks after that.

Thanks! Samantha
Making Consultation Appt. Today!

i814u2c

#2 Post by i814u2c »

I had all 3 of mine pulled by my Dentist . They were all impacted sideways into the teeth in front of then and partly under the bone and completly under the gums. A month seems a long time to wait. Are you going to be asleep or awake? I was awake and they used the local anesthesia. I was a chicken too. Had the first out and then waited 2 years to have the other 2 out. ( I only had 3 not the normal 4)
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

vanilla

#3 Post by vanilla »

I had three removed by an oral surgeon under general. My bottom wisdom teeth were growing sideways as well. I also had to wait a while for the oral surgeon which is why my dentist removed one under local. That top wisdom was inflaming the gum around my bottom wisdom tooth and causing a lot of pain.

Maybe see your dentist to help stop the bleeding while you're waiting for the oral surgeon. Don't freak out when the time comes. You won't regret it. Do it once and your wisdom teeth won't bother you again :)
Ceramic + metal since 31/03/05

Samantha

#4 Post by Samantha »

Thanks! I went by my dentist office yesterday and they said just take Tylenol, no Aspirin as needed. If it gets too bad to come back and they can get me something else. But I was able to get in with the oral surgeon this coming Tuesday for the Consultation and it may be about 2 weeks and I'll be getting them out. All 4. The bottom 2 are impacted and pretty much sideways. I'll be put under... not looking forward to that. This will be the only "surgery" that I've ever been through!

I'll let you all know how it goes.. :shock:

Samantha

Samantha

Update on Wisdom Teeth!

#5 Post by Samantha »

My Surgery is scheduled for Sept 16th (they are really booked) I like the Oral Surgeon he was really nice. But Oh-My-Goodness My teeth are awful! The one tooth that is coming through,... well, there is a cyst on the gum in between it and my last molar. It's not pretty! All 4 teeth are impacted and 3 are partially in the bone so he said he'll have to "shave" some of the bone to extract those.

I am so scared! Help! They are going to put me under with IV Sedation. The nurse said that they will give me Nitrous Oxide first, to kinda relax me some. I'm so nervous about this!

Total Cost is $1385. I only pay half $692. Pretty Fair? I guess...
Well, thanks for "listening" to me... can't ya tell I'm nervous? Oh I've said that only 4 or 5 times... LOL :)

Samantha

*hotslinthesun*

#6 Post by *hotslinthesun* »

Hi Samantha,

Don't worry about being put under. I had to have it done twice, once to remove 3 wisdom teeth that were also impacted and once to remove 4 second premolars for my orthodontic treatment. I actually found it to be a very pleasant experience both times. The nitrous oxide first makes you feel like you've had one too many drinks, and then you just become so relaxed. The IV will make you fall asleep. Chances are you won't remember the oral surgeon even comming in the room. When you wake up it's all over and you will probably feel like you just had the most peaceful sleep ever. The uncomfortable part comes after when you have to deal with the gauze and trying to eat. Just be sure to take your meds as prescribed and it'll be over before you know it.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
Full ceramic braces 08/10/2005

Kimmy

#7 Post by Kimmy »

Hi Samantha!

I'm also getting my wisdom teeth out on September 14th. I had one taken out last year due to a bad infection. I was pregnant but it was really bad and had to be done. I'm getting 3 out this time (one is impacted and coming in sideways). I'm really nervous but anxious to get it over with at the same time.

Best of luck to you. :)

Samantha

#8 Post by Samantha »

Kimmy! You and I are nearly the same time! Good luck to you! I am just taking off work for that Friday and of course the weekend. I have a pretty cool job and they really don't expect me on Monday either but I'm going to try! How long are you going to take off for?

I'm kinda looking forward to the recovery part (just the sitting around and watching t.v. and doing nothing... not the pain part!) lol I just ordered a pair of cami flannel pajamas from VS... they look so comfy. My hubby is great and already told me of some things to help get me through this. He's been through it before himself...

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the boost of confidence that I can get through this!
Lots of Love, Samantha

giantfigure

#9 Post by giantfigure »

I had my 2 wisdom teeth on left extracted in June under General anesthesia. Believe me, it is like you had a good sleep for a while and woke up with just a gauze in your mouth. You just don't realize the pain while the extraction :)

Important thing is...proper care after the extraction especially in the first week. Do not rinse the mouth hard, avoid very hot or cold food, stay on soft food, etc. You do not want to break the blood clot at the site of extrcation.

It will be all good after the extraction. It will be a good relief to get rid of impacted wisdom teeth..which do nothing but cause trouble! So go ahead with it! :)
^^ Top ceramic, Bottom metal
^^ Duration of treatment: 18 months

spragers

#10 Post by spragers »

I had four impacted wisdom teeth cut out with just novocaine. Did it suck? You bet. Am I glad I wasn't put out for it? Even more so. Was it worth it? Well, you'll regret it if you don't.

Good luck! :)

Samantha

Surgery Update

#11 Post by Samantha »

I am getting my wisdom teeth out on Monday the 12th instead of Friday the 16th. The pain is really becoming unbearable and they said the best thing to do is remove the source instead of covering it with pain medicine. So they got me an earlier appt! I really did like that. The cyst is still there and it's making me miserable too. Anyway, just thought I would share. I'm glad it's been moved up but I'm still scared! I am ready just to get these problem teeth out! Lots of Love, Samantha

geekgirl

#12 Post by geekgirl »

Heh... a few years back I had all 4 wisdoms AND a root canal done in the same day with just novocaine (and some ativan). And my dentist is this tiny lady who pretty much had to crawl up onto the chair with me to get the leverage she needed to get the teeth out.

THAT was a fun day, let me tell you. But in the end, i barely bled, didn't bruise, took a T3 a went to bed. Was pretty much fine the next day. I didn't even know about the dry socket threat back then, and frankly, in this case, ignorance was bliss.

I'm still glad I got it done when i did. Those wisdom teeth buggers cause more trouble than they're worth, that's for sure.

Good luck with the surgery - you'll feel so much better when it's all said and done!!
Waiting for life to settle down a bit before committing to 3 years of braces, lower jaw surgery, crowns and some whitening.

CelestialVoices

#13 Post by CelestialVoices »

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted last November under general IV sedation (was given 15 mg of Valium to take beforehand) none were impacted thankfully. I had it done on a Friday, laid around with ice on my face all weekend and was back in classes on Monday with NO swelling at all! It was honestly the best decision I made, I HAD to get them out, my mouth were too small for them and the sinus headaches they gave me reduced me to tears! So, good luck with yours and try not to be too worried about it, it'll all be over before you know it. :)