Sleeping with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mauvaise

Re: Sleeping with braces

#16 Post by Mauvaise »

Tobilei wrote: One thing no one seems to tell you about braces is that when you wake up in the morning your whole inner cheeks and lips are stuck to the brackets and you sort of have to peel them off (or puff up your cheeks to get them off). It's lov-er-ly :P
That effect strangely is even worse with elastics. :(

Sometimes I sleep in wax on all my brackets just to avoid it. Other than that, I'm a side sleeper and have had no issues even from day one with sleeping normally.
In full braces for 2 years, 3 weeks, 1 day.

My Saga (Innovation-C upper/lower) here: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=40053

Duncan5

#17 Post by Duncan5 »

Pufferfish club member here too! Best way to unstick first thing in the morning, and then some nice cool water to slosh around and get the mouth working again. I've found indents in the my cheeks when I get up, but it goes away fairly quickly.

I did drool on the pillow for the first few days...

D.

Tobilei

#18 Post by Tobilei »

Mauvaise wrote:
Tobilei wrote: One thing no one seems to tell you about braces is that when you wake up in the morning your whole inner cheeks and lips are stuck to the brackets and you sort of have to peel them off (or puff up your cheeks to get them off). It's lov-er-ly :P
That effect strangely is even worse with elastics. :(

Sometimes I sleep in wax on all my brackets just to avoid it. Other than that, I'm a side sleeper and have had no issues even from day one with sleeping normally.
Oh no! Don't tell me that! I'm due to get them in 15 days :(

I'm too scared to sleep with wax on. My ortho said not to due to it being a choking hazard and now I'm too paranoid :shock:

xanidu2012

#19 Post by xanidu2012 »

Ewwwww know that feening and its worse with elastics

busy bee

#20 Post by busy bee »

Duncan5 wrote:Pufferfish club member here too! Best way to unstick first thing in the morning, and then some nice cool water to slosh around and get the mouth working again. I've found indents in the my cheeks when I get up, but it goes away fairly quickly.

I did drool on the pillow for the first few days...

D.
This I completely agree with! I now take a pint of water to bed and drink it all by morning. If I don't drink it my brackets dig in to my cheeks and tongue and I wake up with indents and a very sore mouth.

Anna5

#21 Post by Anna5 »

I have been in braces for one week now and I have quite trouble sleeping, to the extent of having to take sleeping pills to get at least some sleep. Apart from the pain of the braces, it also has to do with my bad thumbsucking habit, of which I am now trying to kick off. Sometimes I am quite desperate, because sleep is so essential. I hope it is getting better soon.....

quentin

#22 Post by quentin »

I noticed that my lips get really dry when I sleep, and sometimes when I wake, I almost find my upper lip dried up and "caught" on the bulky Damon clear brackets. That's the only sleep-related issue.

And... for a while, the wire was jabbing the inside of my left cheek, so sleeping on that side something exacerbated the pain. But that soon went away.

Don't lose heart. It gets better!
Braced: 11 Feb 2013
Debraced: 13 Aug 2014
Expected duration: 24 months
Actual duration: 18 months
Damon Clear uppers (all); Damon metal lowers
http://fullmetalpanda.wordpress.com/

SparklyMouth

#23 Post by SparklyMouth »

I agree that it's the waking up that's the "fum" part. I thought I was the only one to make funny faces in the morning. Good thing I'm the first one up in my house. :HugeGrin:

beckyboo0205

#24 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Hey so I originally started this post. I'm almost 2 weeks in and yes, now my braces are sucking to my cheeks! I really didn't have it the first week... it's only been in the past few days that I have really noticed that my cheeks have been so sucked in. After I puff my cheeks out, it's like I have indents I think. Weird. I was sick for a few days and couldn't breath out of my nose too so maybe that's why it didn't kick in sooner.

Just wanted to welcome myself to the club! ha