Spacers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tams22

Spacers?

#1 Post by Tams22 »

My braces date is set for May 8th. Should I be concerned that they did not schedule me to get spacers prior to my brace-date? My teeth are pretty crowded at the bottom, to the point where it's quite difficult to floss.

rhibee83

Re: Spacers?

#2 Post by rhibee83 »

Tams22 wrote:My braces date is set for May 8th. Should I be concerned that they did not schedule me to get spacers prior to my brace-date? My teeth are pretty crowded at the bottom, to the point where it's quite difficult to floss.
Hi and good luck with your braces!! :)

You only get spacers if you are getting molar bands. They put the spacers between your molars to make room for the metal rings to go around the teeth. You might not be getting molar bands and in that case, probably don't need them :wink: :thumbsup: and you should be happy about that! lol.

SparklyMouth

#3 Post by SparklyMouth »

maybe your ortho is like mine...lulling you into a sense of comfort and then...BAM in go the spacers, then bands, then appliance. Although I think my ortho is very sweet and know she's doing a good job, I also think she sits in her office rubbing her hands as she concocts ways to "torture" her patients.

I'm KIDDING of course, but I was fully braced for a few weeks before I got spacers. Ask what the plan is. Sometimes they make adjustments based on xrays and impressions. Maybe they mentioned the spacers but you didn't pick up on it because you were dazed by the overwhelming thought of being braced. In any event, take tylenol before you get spacers and anticipate a little discomfort...not much. And the "chewing on rubber" sensation is totally normal.

isthistaken

#4 Post by isthistaken »

SparklyMouth wrote:maybe your ortho is like mine...lulling you into a sense of comfort and then...BAM in go the spacers, then bands, then appliance. Although I think my ortho is very sweet and know she's doing a good job, I also think she sits in her office rubbing her hands as she concocts ways to "torture" her patients.

I'm KIDDING of course, but I was fully braced for a few weeks before I got spacers. Ask what the plan is. Sometimes they make adjustments based on xrays and impressions. Maybe they mentioned the spacers but you didn't pick up on it because you were dazed by the overwhelming thought of being braced. In any event, take tylenol before you get spacers and anticipate a little discomfort...not much. And the "chewing on rubber" sensation is totally normal.
This is what I'm afraid of. I've dodged spacers and bands so far but it's early on.

Tams22

#5 Post by Tams22 »

Hopefully I'm just lucky enough not to get them. I'm doubting that quite a bit...but I'll keep my fingers crossed. :-P
~*~ Tams~*~

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

When my wife got braces as a kid, they didn't have the modern composite enamel-integrating cements they use now; they were ALL bands. And they got slid over the teeth with a spring-loaded hammer. Yowza!

Tams22

#7 Post by Tams22 »

sirwired wrote:When my wife got braces as a kid, they didn't have the modern composite enamel-integrating cements they use now; they were ALL bands. And they got slid over the teeth with a spring-loaded hammer. Yowza!
Oh eep!! Glad I don't have to get those :)
~*~ Tams~*~

mehogeni

#8 Post by mehogeni »

I just got mine installed today after 12 weeks in braces........

If the spacers come, they can come before or during. I'd ask your ortho what his/her plan is so you're prepared :wink: ....sadly I could not avoid my fate. However, let me tell you..... Spacers are NOTHING compared to Powerchains. Therefore, I'm glad I got them AFTER powerchains so I could build up my pain tolerance.

Timetoshine

#9 Post by Timetoshine »

I had spacers put on a Thursday morning, and braces day was the next day (Friday).

My teeth are very tight also - ortho said 'the contacts were very tight' and therefore once he took the spacers out he couldn't get the molar bands on. He decided to leave it as I was getting 4 teeth removed and this will create room to put the spacers on - get a gap - the can place the molar bands on. At the moment I only have upper/lower 8 braced. SO pleased I got teeth removed as I have seen so much movement in 9 days.

Spacers didn't hurt - just felt odd.
[/url]

NICURN85

#10 Post by NICURN85 »

Some people get spacers before braces and some afterwards. It just depends on what your ortho plan is. I agree with the others about asking what the plan is. My bottom teeth were so stubborn that I had my bottom spacers on for about a month. They went ahead and put the brackets on though. It was a pain getting the spacers in on the bottom because my teeth were so close together. Now my top arch went so smooth with putting on the spacers and that's why my top arch has been braced about a month longer than the bottom because they decided to be nice and go along with the plan. :D Make sure to keep us updated on what you find out about your spacers!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Tams22

#11 Post by Tams22 »

I'm braced, and so far no spacers. I don't have the caps that go over the back teeth, but larger, tube like brackets on my 1st molars. My 2nd molars have nothing.

I had two brackets pop off the day I got my braces so I have to see my ortho again tomorrow, and if he has time I'll talk to him about his plan.
~*~ Tams~*~

sirwired

#12 Post by sirwired »

Tams22 wrote:I'm braced, and so far no spacers. I don't have the caps that go over the back teeth, but larger, tube like brackets on my 1st molars. My 2nd molars have nothing.

I had two brackets pop off the day I got my braces so I have to see my ortho again tomorrow, and if he has time I'll talk to him about his plan.
Spacers are used for molar bands in a situation with tight spacing. If all you have is brackets you wouldn't need spacers. Molar bands are often used if there is a filling on the side of a tooth; as the acid-etch primers used for the very best bond only work properly on anything but enamel.

Almost everyone gets a tube on the rear bracket, whatever form it takes.

ajs604

#13 Post by ajs604 »

I have had spacers for almost 2 weeks now. I would say count your blessings as they can be quite sore and I am sure my lower teeth have become more crowded since being barced! Best of luck with your treatment!
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13