brand new brace wearer (age 31)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbbards

Re: brand new brace wearer (age 31)

#16 Post by bbbards »

So an update from me. I'm three months in with Damon clear on top. Its definitely got easier. The rubbing on my inside lip subsided and food choices expanded to PB (pre-brace) times and the weird tooth numbness disappeared. Still self conscious about smiling when at work. But only had a couple of 'oh you have braces on' moments. Like everyone else on the forum, all that have commented on my seemingly non-exist reasons for getting the torture device...i mean brace...fitted. I've gotten used to the need to sort my teeth out after eating ANYTHING. Means I can't be bothered to graze...which i guess is a good thing. Luckily at work there is a separate disable toilet so I can pick to my hearts content...and all the food is cleared.

After about 4 weeks in I noticed the first changes. Which was very exciting. Since then nothing dramatic has altered but I guess my teeth are slowly moving...its just harder to detect.

Today my bottom set were fixed. I've got Damon but they are a metal/clear combo. And blimey it looks like a mess. The wire is majorly ziggzagging and I have one tooth set back from the others and taller. The bracket on this one is right at the top so clearly visible.

So its back to numb teeth, sore lips and careful eating. But this time I know it will subside. One annoying thing is that two of my upper teeth touch two of the brackets when I chew. Feels like I'm eating metal. And I'm very aware that any forgetfulness on my part will result in me chewing normally and knocking a bracket or two off. I guess when they start to unwind this will also recede. Finger crossed.

So how is everyone else going?

jem

#17 Post by jem »

Congratulations on getting your bottom brace, bbards. I am also in the UK and have a sectional brace with damon clear brackets just on my 6 front upper teeth.I need to move a central incisor forward to stop it biting onto my lower incisors. To achieve this, I need to move and untwist the lateral incisor which is pushing it inwards and also untwist the adjoining canine. My sentence is 6-9 months. I have had the brace for about a month and see very little movement as yet. I am 57 and maybe it takes longer for movement to start when you are older. I will ask my ortho when I see her again in about 2 weeks. Perhaps she will do some IPR to find some space for my teeth to move?

My bottom teeth are mildly crowded too, but my ortho said I would need full braces top and bottom to correct both arches. This would double my sentence and almost quadruple the cost, so I have decided to continue to live with my bottom teeth as they are.

I was very self conscious about getting the brace as a 57 year old man running a professional business but so far I have had very little reaction;people either ignore it or do not notice it. My first wire is white coated, which helps to make it discreet. Some of the white coating is now wearing off and I suspect future wires may not all be white. However, I am getting used to the brace now and hopefully will be less self conscious about it as time passes.

Good luck with your treatment!
Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

t1ckalish

#18 Post by t1ckalish »

Hi bbbards,

I'm from East Lothian in Scotland, and I was braced on top on August 8th 2011. This is something I'd wanted to do for years, and had always put it off, firstly due to a break down in communication when I was in my teens and secondly because they'd told me that my whole face would change, 5 or 6 years ago I wasn't comfortable with this.

Fast Forward to last year, I'd had my second baby was older and wiser and found myself really wanting to do something about my sticky out teeth. Initially I just wanted the front ones straight so that they didnt stick out so much, but the ortho said if we were going to do it he'd be aswell as correcting the whole problem and not just part of it... kinda makes sense eh! so here I am approaching 33, braced in traditional metal on the top and I also have a nance appliance.

I was in pain almost immediately, couldn't even eat rice! but this soon passed. I was worried I'd scare my eldest who's 4, and that my husband wouldn't find me attractive. WRONG!! My eldest thinks my braces are cool and often asks about whats going on, my baby just wonders what the hell is in my mouth and pokes them from time to time, and my husband wishes he done something about his a long time ago! (He had a retainer as a kid, but has poor teeth with lots of crowns) My parents and immediate family haven't really mentioned them :-)

Going to work was a nightmare! I couldn't speak properly because of the nance, but I work in an office and answer doors/phones so had to get on with it - which must have helped because you cant tell it's there now, but I do lisp when I'm tired. I spoke to people with my hand over my mouth for the first day or two, or curled my top lip over the brace... haha! what a look!! How people didn't laugh I'll never know :-) by day three I'd decided to embrace my brace, and my work colleagues have been fantastic and haven't really mentioned them apart from asking how things are going.

I hated the braces to begin with, and 3 weeks in considered having them all taken off BUT I've stuck with it, and have seen major changes in my teeth and in my facial appearance. I'm currently having fun watching my K9's move back towards my 2nd Molars (oh the sad life I lead) and every other day I get a weird warmness in the roots of my teeth, which I suppose must mean they're moving.

You dont see a lot of adults with braces on in Edinburgh, well I haven't anyway, but people dont point and stare and the ones who do mention them are genuinely interested in why you're doing it. I'm having a fairly positive experience with them

bbbards

#19 Post by bbbards »

Hi to all that have replied.

Jem, v jealous that you've been able to chose to just fix your tops. My main issue is a sticky out central incisor that I've always been aware of. When my mouth is shut it kinda pokes out of my lips a little and I hate it. So that was my main driver in seeking treatment. But my ortho said he couldn't treat it without fixing my crowded lower teeth too. So i'm all braced up. No choice! And a white wire? v jealous of that too! Well done at going for it though. Since being braced I've become ultra aware of everyone's teeth and am always on the eye out for other sufferers. I must admit I've not seen an adult man so you are brave!

t1ckalish thanks for your story. Interesting to hear about the reaction of your eldest. I don't have children but plenty of nieces and nephews and I'm kinda dreading them pointing it put. You know children tell it how it is! I looked up the nance appliance you mentioned. Eeek that looks severe. No wonder your speech has been affected. But well done for adapting to it.

Tomorrow is my first day at work with the much visible lower set on. But I will just have to get through it. I know its unlikely people will comment...well the ones that don't know me that well. But I hate it when you spot the recognition on a person's face when they twig. I just gotta keep thinking its my mouth and my business.....and no one will even remember when its off.......

bbbards

#20 Post by bbbards »

They are coming off in 12 hours. I cannot believe the time has finally arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t1ckalish

#21 Post by t1ckalish »

Hurray Bbards! Congratulations!!

Mine are due off in August but I think we're looking more like Xmas - I have stubborn teeth!

You must let us know how you get on with your new smile minus the braces :-)

Kezza

#22 Post by Kezza »

bbbards wrote:Wow. I've gone and done it now. The first top brace is on (Damon, clear). And it hurts. I feel like I have a torture device on. Its only day two. Right now it feels like I have Everest to climb. And I haven't even got on the plane yet. Its intimidating.

One of my top teeth really protrudes and I've never liked it. Despite hating it, especially after seeing photos of me, I always thought, well that's my lot isn't it. My bottom teeth are also a bit crowded but I am not really worried about those. I tried removal braces as a young teen but it didn't work out. The treatment started a bit late in life. And I never really wore it properly, then i moved away from my dentist at the time and got more interested in boys than straight teeth. Since then my top protruding tooth has just just been part of me.

But lately I had a change of heart. My sister in law (older by a good few years) got Invasalign and I thought, well if she can do something about her teeth at her age, I could too. But of course the orthodontist I went to see said Invisalign was not suitable for my teeth problems. Cut to 6 weeks later and I have a mouthful of metal. How to f*** did that happen!!??

So now I'm at home pretty down and needing a pick up. This site is great and its amazing its the only real adult and braces site around.

How does everyone else cope in the early days? Especially British people?? I see a lot of american adults getting it done but its more rare over here I think. Especially going on my experience at the orthodontist I go to....always full of kids and their waiting mothers.

Anyways, advice gratefully received.

Over and out.
Hey! I'm in the UK...I have had braces a week now and so far it's been ok...luckily not alot of pain at all....but yeah...the first few days/weeks can be pretty daunting when you have months of treatment ahead! :shock:
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

bbbards

#23 Post by bbbards »

Hey thanks t1ckalish. I've posted some piccies in my story page if you're interested http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43220 and will enjoy posting my final picture there tomorrow!

Teeth can be stubborn little buggers. Good luck with your next few months. Fingers crossed for a summer de-bracing!

bbbards

#24 Post by bbbards »

Hey Kezza. Looking back at that post is so strange. It feels like an age ago and yet also like yesterday! Its now 530 days later and I've made it. Never thought that would happen. The beginning bit flew by, as did the end. It was the middle section of time that dragged!

You sound very positive - more that I was a week in. All the best for your treatment. Post some piccies when you can - its always fun to track the progress.