Broken bracket - need to visit dentist immediately?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zcooke

Broken bracket - need to visit dentist immediately?

#1 Post by Zcooke »

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but couldn't find an answer.
I have Damon Clear braces and the lower back bracket has broken off. I have kept it in the hope my dentist can reattach it.
My next appointment is in 2 and a half weeks. Can I wait until then or do I need to make an appointment asap?
I do not want this to slow down the process as I have only had my braces on for a month.
Thanks!

oldfart

Re: Broken bracket - need to visit dentist immediately?

#2 Post by oldfart »

Just call and ask your ortho/dentist.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

Zcooke

#3 Post by Zcooke »

Ortho said when I got them on first that broken brackets are common at the beginning and usually it is ok to leave it until your next appointment.
I was wondering did anyone here have experience or advise with broken brackets.

oimysizex

#4 Post by oimysizex »

I don't have any advice with the brackets as SUCH but, my wire is loose on one side and my ligs keep snapping off ( 4 in total) I've just left it until my appointment (tomorrow) and i havent seen any bad effects or any shifting. I dont advise leaving it though, you should ring your ortho just to double check to see if its OK to leave it till your next app.

good luck

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Roboto

#5 Post by Roboto »

I had a bracket pop off when I was about 2 weeks away from my next appointment. I called and they moved the appointment up a week and told me I should be ok for a few days. As long as it's not bothering you you'll probably be fine. I think you should call anyway to double check. They usually want to know when things like that happen.

Leebie3

#6 Post by Leebie3 »

My ortho has told me that I'm to call straight away and get it back on because it can delay treatment especially if your appt is weeks away.. A few days is ok though he said.

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

TMJJill

#7 Post by TMJJill »

I have had brackets come off twice. Both times I called the orthodontist and they had me come in for an in-between visit. They replaced the bracket the first time. The second time was a couple months ago and they decided to just leave it off.

You're lucky you have the bracket though. I swallowed mine both times before realizing they were missing.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Zcooke

#8 Post by Zcooke »

Thanks guys!
I'll give my ortho a ring today.