Braces off in two weeks...top teeth sticking out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AltoRose

Braces off in two weeks...top teeth sticking out

#1 Post by AltoRose »

Okay, I need someone to talk me down here. :( I'm scheduled to get my braces off two weeks from today, and I'm concerned about how they look.

Background: I've had braces on for a little less than a year. My initial problem was a skeletal open bite, an overjet, and severe crowding on the bottom row. My ortho recommended jaw surgery to fix the open bite, but I declined because my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and I didn't want to have to put the brakes on that while I prepared for/recovered from surgery. I also had the option to have four teeth pulled to make more room in my mouth, but I declined that as well. I'm leery of having four healthy teeth pulled, and my ortho also said that doing so would end up giving me more of a gummy smile than I have now (and I already have quite a bit of gum showing).

My thought process was that the teeth being straight was the most important thing. The crowding on the bottom had been so bad that I couldn't floss properly, and I was worried about my overall oral health and hygiene. That problem has been fixed...in fact, it's a VAST improvement. But now, with the debanding date so close, I'm having second (and third, and fourth) thoughts. My top teeth are sticking out more than I thought they would, and my open bite is fairly obvious (more from the sides than the front). I'm worried that I'm not going to be happy with my smile once the braces come off.

I've included pictures below. I've got power chains on so my profile might improve slightly between now and the debanding date in two weeks. My question is: Am I overreacting? Would you be happy with these results? And if not, what options (if any) can I ask my ortho about before the braces come off?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Second go-round with braces! Age: 32

AltoRose

Re: Braces off in two weeks...top teeth sticking out

#2 Post by AltoRose »

And for comparison's sake, here is a "before" shot, as well as an "early" braces photo so you can see how bad the crowding was in the beginning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JillD

#3 Post by JillD »

What is the point of asking us how we would feel? They are your teeth, and if you are unhappy with them, that's all that matters.

(Yes, I wouldn't be happy if my teeth end up looking like yours.)

AltoRose

#4 Post by AltoRose »

JillD wrote:What is the point of asking us how we would feel? They are your teeth, and if you are unhappy with them, that's all that matters.
Because my ortho seems to think they're fine, and my husband seems to think they're fine, and I felt like I was going crazy for being unhappy. Especially since I'd declined the surgery and extractions that were recommended to me.

Besides, isn't the point of this board to get opinions/advice/support from other people who are going through treatment? Sheesh.

safetysquirrel

#5 Post by safetysquirrel »

Hey!

I think it's really up to how you feel. I wouldn't be happy with anything less than pretty much perfect... However, that doesn't sound like that's an option for you unless you do surgery. If you want perfect teeth, surgery all the way.

I imagine that extractions would help with the overjet, but the little bit I've learned seems to point to surgery being the best way to eliminate a gummy smile.

The reason your orthodontist may be happy with it is because it's the best he can do with you refusing surgery and/or extractions.

If you're not happy, it may be time to reexamine other options.

I plopped down a huge chunk of change to get great looking, straight, and properly functioning teeth. I would be incredibly unhappy if I was to get debanded and those things weren't true... Heck, I wouldn't get debanded.

However, it's really up to you - it's your smile :-) Let us know what you decide to do!

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The photo from the "right" looks like your teeth are sticking out more than the photo from the "left". Is it just the angle of the photos?

I have more to say but will wait for your response...

AltoRose

#7 Post by AltoRose »

Snowglobe32 wrote:The photo from the "right" looks like your teeth are sticking out more than the photo from the "left". Is it just the angle of the photos?
No, that's how they are right now. The teeth on the left side meet up better than the teeth on the right side.

Slack

#8 Post by Slack »

Sometimes is not a question of having the perfect teeth, it's about compromise, and that could well be the best possible result after excluding other options (extractions, surgery). It's way better than it was before, but braces can only go so far, and if you're still not happy you really should talk to your ortho about it. Maybe he can do better with a little more time, or offer other options, but you definitely should let him know you're not satisfied yet.

Snowglobe32

#9 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Honestly, I wouldn't be happy with the result but like others have said, if that is the best possible outcome, then that is the best that braces can do.

I had one ortho tell me I was a surgery case but my ortho told me surgery wasn't necessary. I had a bad crossbite and I had a few previously extracted teeth so my case was complicated. My original estimate was 22-24 months...here we are at 3 yrs and 7 months. But now, I couldn't be happier with how my teeth look. If more time is what you need, then who cares? You have already put in a year, what is more time? As annoying as it can be, time goes by really fast.

I would talk to your othro or even consult with another ortho to see if anything else can be done. If you had those four teeth extracted, maybe it will help.

if there isn't anything else that braces can do, what about veneers? If it is simply a cosmetic issue, and the teeth are lined up properly, can you get veneers on the front teeth to bring the jet down?

bracesagain2

#10 Post by bracesagain2 »

Hi AltoRose - I know how you feel. Personally if it was me, I wouldn't be happy with those results. I think if you're really not happy, you should say something to your ortho and see if he can try to do a little more till you're happy with the final results.

But from your before and after pictures, it's a huge improvement so in that sense I think your teeth look great. But I do know why you're not happy with the results right now.

I'm actually having similar issues as you. My ortho even said something to me that my teeth are near perfect. But I totally disagree. I think if I get to the end, I will say something. But the thing is, both my ortho and dentist told me, you can't expect perfect teeth at the end results. I think I want everything to be perfect and they're both saying it can't be. I also declined jaw surgery too.

I think they will try their best to make it near perfect, but for me, it's never perfect enough. I guess you should figure out what you want. But my suggestion would be to say something to your ortho so at least you're ok with the final result. Hope that helps and let us know your decision. All the best to you.

bmueller

#11 Post by bmueller »

Looks like a decision only you can make. I think to some extent everyone has things that will prevent us from having THE perfect smile, but it's about being happy with what can be done to give you the best smile you can possibly have.

If you're not so happy, I'd bring it up before you get them taken off. Maybe just hearing an explanation of why your teeth are "done" will be enough to ease your mind.

I'm sure you're not going to want to get braces again, so make sure you're at peace with your decision either way.

I think they look so much better! Without surgery I think this is a great result!

Leebie3

#12 Post by Leebie3 »

I have to agree with safety squirrel and slack... If you want 'perfect' (although I believe there is no such thing) then you need to follow recommendations.. If you can't or won't for whatever reason (and I TOTALLY get the TTC) then this might be the best he can do?

They DEFINITELY look a heap better! :)

Can you keep the braces on and go with the surgery after having a bub? Although.. Having kids myself, before is a FAR better choice :)

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Rusty'sMom

#13 Post by Rusty'sMom »

First let me say what a HUGE improvement in the alignment of your teeth! Wow! I am also looking at a debanding date in about 7 weeks. Like you, my outcome isn't ideal. I am older (50's), dealing with black triangles, and I have a couple missing molars from poor dental care in my youth. I realize my teeth are just not going to look perfect, and I am OK with it. They look the best they can for me and my ortho, periodontist and gen. dentist are happy. In my opinion your teeth look great, but you have to live with them so take some time to think about it and have a chat with your general dentist to see what she or he has to say. Good luck!
[Image
[/url]]

[Image
[/url]]

Tobilei

#14 Post by Tobilei »

I'm another one who thinks there's been a huge improvement, only you can decide if it's enough of an improvement.

Like others have said though, if you choose not to go along with the ortho's recommendations (and I'm not saying you should get teeth extracted, it's fine that you chose not to, I can understand why you would rather not also) the result will be different to how it could have been.

AltoRose

#15 Post by AltoRose »

This has all been incredibly helpful, you guys. Thank you. When I went into this, I wasn't really looking for cosmetic improvement...I just knew I needed to do something about the crowding. I couldn't bite into things, I couldn't floss, my gums were a mess, etc etc etc. I am overall thrilled with the level of improvement as far as that goes. When I opted out of the surgery and extractions, I knew I was compromising. I guess I'm just starting to panic a bit now that the deband date is coming up. I mean, once they're off, that's it.

I'll definitely ask my ortho whether he thinks the top front teeth can come back a little with some more tweaking. I wasn't expecting to still be able to see the open bite quiiiiiiite so much, which is where my main hesitation is coming from.