extractions, the same day as braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Alisonpv

extractions, the same day as braces?

#1 Post by Alisonpv »

I am scheduled to get 2 premolars extracted, the same day as I get banded for braces. (Doing it this way to be more efficient with my time off of work)

Has anyone else done this? Is it a mistake?

I got my braces on June 21, 2013

coreym95

Re: extractions, the same day as braces?

#2 Post by coreym95 »

I just got my braces on today and getting the extractions in a few months. So I guess it's kind of the same idea. I would imagine you are getting your braces put on first, then your extractions? I can't imagine getting the extractions then hours later getting the braces on. I guess you could get your brackets put on, get your teeth pulled, then go pack and get the wires on?

Alisonpv

#3 Post by Alisonpv »

coreym95 wrote:I just got my braces on today and getting the extractions in a few months. So I guess it's kind of the same idea. I would imagine you are getting your braces put on first, then your extractions? I can't imagine getting the extractions then hours later getting the braces on. I guess you could get your brackets put on, get your teeth pulled, then go pack and get the wires on?

Brackets (and lower wire), then extractions, then upper wire..

I just want to maximize my (limited) sick time...

Timetoshine

#4 Post by Timetoshine »

Hi!

I have posted about this a month ago :) I can offer first-hand advice and am happy to answer any questions you have...

I had my braces fitted 12 April at 11:30am. At 2:30pm same day I had 4 premolars out (with IV sedation - Midazolam).
My ortho didn't band or bracket my back molars as the contacts were too tight and he wouldn't have wired them anyway.

So - how did I find it?

Truthfully - I felt mighty fine for the first 24 hours, I was still dosed up on the sedation. Lapped up the care from my partner :D

The first 3 days I couldn't do much and didn't feel like doing much except recuperating. The first 4 days I was on painkillers such as Ibuprofen and Panadol constantly... the ibuprofen I was careful with as it made me a little nauseous as I wasn't eating much.

The whole first week I was pretty fragile, but luckily didn't have to work/talk that much. I started back on my laptop doing work on Day 4 and felt fine doing so. I think it took about 8 days for the extraction sites to heal over and feel like I wasn't going to get food stuck in them. Take time to brush carefully so you don't bump the sites.

My dentist said that premolars don't usually get dry socket, but I was still careful with only jelly, yoghurt with no bits, and lots of scrambled eggs etc as food. I rinsed with warm salt water carefully for about 2 weeks.

OK - so the next question -would I do it again on the same day if I could turn back time? YES. YES and YES :)
I was pleased to get it all done at once and have less down time.

Let me know what you decide and if you have any questions... happy to help as I was looking for advice on here before I had mine done!!!
[/url]

Timetoshine

#5 Post by Timetoshine »

Oh - I forgot to mention- the ortho put on 8 brackets on top and 8 on bottom and wired both upper and lower.

Ortho said 'tell the dentist to be careful with my ortho work, and if there are any problems once its done, just phone me and I'll help". A caring ortho - I'm lucky!
[/url]

Zcooke

#6 Post by Zcooke »

I also had two premolars extracted the same day as my braces went on.
I had no problems at all!
It was all done at once and took 2 hours in total.
All the brackets were put on, I got two injections, while the injections were working their magic the bottom wires were put in place, extractions were done (on top) and then the top wires went in.
Unlike Timetoshine I didn't experience major pain. I only took pain killers the day after all the work was done and didn't need them after that.
I did however poke one of the extraction sites with my tooth brush on day 3 and it was quite painful. My own fault for taking the eye off the ball! Just be careful while brushing your teeth for the first week or so.

Over a month on and the there is no pain whatsoever just the usual tight feeling from the braces.
Going by my experience I would bite the bullet and go full steam ahead :D
Best of luck!

Timetoshine

#7 Post by Timetoshine »

Zcooke- what a coincidence - i see you were the day after me getting braced :)

I was probably (ok definitely) more chicken than you... My only come back is I got 4 out ;)

Yes - def go for it I say! Get it over and done with!
[/url]

Zcooke

#8 Post by Zcooke »

Timetoshine - just noticed that!
Happy brace anniversary :D

Alisonpv

#9 Post by Alisonpv »

Thanks guys! I'm glad this plan will work... The ortho office seemed a little in awe that I wanted to get it all done the same day... which then made me nervous that maybe that was a bad idea :P

Timetoshine

#10 Post by Timetoshine »

Alisonpv wrote:Thanks guys! I'm glad this plan will work... The ortho office seemed a little in awe that I wanted to get it all done the same day... which then made me nervous that maybe that was a bad idea :P

Hehe - tell them you're a tough cookie, act confident 8)

I had people oohing and aaahing when I told them my plans too - but hey, its worth it!
[/url]

Timetoshine

#11 Post by Timetoshine »

Zcooke wrote:Timetoshine - just noticed that!
Happy brace anniversary :D
Yes - Happy Brace-a-versary!!!
[/url]

lambchop

#12 Post by lambchop »

Hopefully your impressions will be made before your extractions... I had two premolars pulled a week before both arches were braced and impressions done the day of 'installation'; when she removed the mold, it was really stuck on and she had to pull quite a bit, and there was some pain and blood involved. The ortho thought the clots stayed in place, but that was some of the worst pain I've experienced in my almost two years in braces.