Drinking tea/coffee with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lovethatsmile

Re: Drinking tea/coffee with braces

#16 Post by Lovethatsmile »

My ortho put clear ligatures at the first appointment without asking and as I couldn't give up coffee, I use straw all the time. Once at a cafe too while out at brunch with family but have since decided not to order when out again! I didn't notice any staining until a few days into it, I grabbed hubby's half glass of berroca and downed it without thinking. Bam!!! Ugly neon yellow ligtures which makes my ceramic look yellow and my teeth too!

SunshineRay

#17 Post by SunshineRay »

ugh, thanks for all the warnings. It seems to be half and half on if its a good idea. I love tea....hot or cold.

kathydell

#18 Post by kathydell »

I'm about 3 months into treatment and I was scared to death about the staining because I have to have my coffee and I LOVE blueberries. Honestly, I was worried for nothing. I just drink my coffee through a straw to be sure but when I went for adjustment yesterday the tech was shocked how "clean" my ties were. It's not the ceramic braces that stain. It's the rubber band ties that stain and those get replaced at each adjustment. I just brush after blueberries, blackberries, coffee, tea, etc. The only thing I've heard that you really shouldn't do is curry because that really stains and you can't get it off.

Jjlin24

#19 Post by Jjlin24 »

Ah coffee on a traw. I cannot give up food and drinks I love

SparklyMouth

#20 Post by SparklyMouth »

P'shaw! enjoy the tea! I am a caffeine head who defies anyone to tell me to give up my morning cups of coffee (and late afternoon cup too). I just brush afterward to keep the staining to a minimum.

KStew

#21 Post by KStew »

I use a straw for everything these days, and swish around some water between gulps of black coffee. The lighter colors stain pretty quickly for me, but the silver ligs didn't stain for several weeks (and even then, I think it was the curry that did them in).

psily

#22 Post by psily »

I made the mistake of choosing clear bands because I got clear braces. They have now turned yellow (making my teeth look yellow) from all the coffee and tea I drink. Now I now, my next appointment is in four days and definitely going to switch to colored bands.
30 years old
Top braces on: 5/17/2013
Bottom braces on: 10/15/2013
Treatment time: 18 months
Debrace date: 11/28/2014!

Aerynia

#23 Post by Aerynia »

I've got clear ligs on the top (with ceramics) and colours on the lowers (metal). I gave up drinking coffee and tea because they did stain my clear ligs (fine on the colours though) Once the clear ligs start turning that pale yellow colour they make your teeth look yellow as well, and since I don't really like the way it looks on me I just decided to give them up and drink white tea/hot water/hot chocolate instead. I don't find that I miss it much and I don't get the caffeine headaches or anxiety that I used to, which is great!

I miss curry though :(

karebear1008

#24 Post by karebear1008 »

[quote="djspeece"]Perhaps if you do a swish-and-swallow with vodka following your coffee it would help mitigate the staining :-*[/quote]

Love your outlook, does red wine stain? I could give up red wine but NEVER coffee!!!!!

ajs604

#25 Post by ajs604 »

I dont know what you people are worried about lol :D, just because you have braces you cannot give up everything you love!

I drink 1-2 tea's a day. So far so good, no staining. If they do stain so be it. I am already restricted to what I can eat so am not gong to give up my beloved tea, neither should you.
Started treatment to correct open bite non surgically

My Story so far: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=44572
TAD's inserted into upper pallet 9/5/13
Braces & intrusion appliance fitted 23/5/13 - journey has now fully begun.
1st adjustment 2/07/13

WendySue1969

#26 Post by WendySue1969 »

Completely agree with the above post. I have 1-2 teas a day, and I drink through a straw. I find drinking all liquids easier that way, always dribbling if I don't. I have clear brackets on the top but have always had ligs that are light grey ( I forget what they are called). Never really notice any staining with them.

GypsyCruiser

#27 Post by GypsyCruiser »

I will be getting my ceramic braces in a few months.....so much great info on this board.

I am a tea drinker.....I love tea....hot and cold. Now I am wondering if I should start weaning myself off tea or maybe drink weak tea through a straw.

I have already given up soft drinks I now drink water mostly and iced tea with no lemon with dinner only.

And now I see I have to think foods too.

I had no idea getting braces was so involved. Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.