Changing your own powerchain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trinity1

Changing your own powerchain

#1 Post by trinity1 »

If I ordered the appropriate powerchain and "pliers" from an ortho suppy store, could I change my own powerchain? I wanted it changed weekly instead of every 4-5 weeks. Is there any danger in changing your own powerchains?

john_doe

#2 Post by john_doe »

no offense,
but you probably should have asked your ortho before buying powerchains and pliers to put them on yourself.
I'd call your ortho before attempting to put them on yourself :!:

dmb

#3 Post by dmb »

Trinity didn't buy the powerchains and "pliers" yet, she asked IF... I think changing your powerchains weekly sounds like a bad idea. I think if they needed to be changed that frequently then your ortho would have scheduled closer appointments. I think 3-4 weeks should be a good time to change them, but it's definitely a good idea to ask your ortho befor going through with the thought. Good luck :)
braced march 10th 05
guestimated end in 17 months :)

john_doe

#4 Post by john_doe »

Oops, my bad :oops:

trinity1

#5 Post by trinity1 »

Thanks DMB and john_doe for your sensible advise. I think I already know what my ortho will say-- that I have to be more patient. I guess I'm just having one of those days.

tictac

#6 Post by tictac »

Trinity, I asked my ortho the same question and she said it was fine. She also said she changed her own powerchains the whole time she was in braces (before she was an ortho).