Daily cleaning routine, what is your order?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

psily

Daily cleaning routine, what is your order?

#1 Post by psily »

I've been obsessed with oral hygiene more than ever now that I have braces. I want to know if there is a proper order of cleaning your teeth? Or does it really matter as long as you thoroughly clean?

Here is what I do:
1. Floss
2. Brush with Sonicare Flexcare brush & Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste
3. Rinse with mouthwash, not water (ACT Total Care Sensitive Formula)

I am also going to be purchasing a Waterpik, where does this go in the order? After flossing?
30 years old
Top braces on: 5/17/2013
Bottom braces on: 10/15/2013
Treatment time: 18 months
Debrace date: 11/28/2014!

djspeece

Re: Daily cleaning routine, what is your order?

#2 Post by djspeece »

Nightime: I first use the waterpik to directly blast the hardware, then refill to attend to gumlines. Then an interdental / Christmas tree brush dipped in purple Listerine for each space, then rinse with the rest of the Listerine, then tongue-brushing with a device made by OralB, then gag a few times, rinse out the Listerine and curse under my breath at how nasty it is, brush teeth with an OralB with flossing attachment, rinse and then some Crest peroxide mix to rinse around for a minute, rinse, then flouride rinse. Rest and congratulate myself on a job well done. Morning is just brushing. Then brush several more times after meals.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

safetysquirrel

#3 Post by safetysquirrel »

I'm a brush, waterpick, floss, and then mouthwash or fluoride rinse.

kathydell

#4 Post by kathydell »

In the morning and after lunch I'm a brush, mouthwash and interproximal brush person and I use the GUM picks during the day and swish with water if I have a quick snack. I love those GUM rubber picks, especially when I'm traveling for work and can't always brush in an airport as quickly as I like. After dinner I brush and use the picks and then I LOVE the Waterpick. I can't live without mine. I mix 1/2 mouthwash and 1/2 water and fill it to the top. Sometimes I use the regular attachment and sometimes I use the orthodontic attachment. I haven't really developed a preference.

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

Forgot to mention ..... I've found the blue mouthwashes to leave discoloration but not the purple.

Winkos

#6 Post by Winkos »

When I wake up quick brush with Sonicare. After morning coffee I brush three minutes. After any food item I brush, sometimes a quick brush, or 2 minutes depending on what I eat. Before bed another three minute brush with flossing. Three times a week after my nightly brush I brush again with RX flouride toothpaste that my ortho gives all his patients. I am supposed to use this everyday but still am not convinced that all that extra flouride will not result in brittle bones.

debinator

#7 Post by debinator »

I use my waterpick first to pressurewash away any left behind stuff, then I brush with sonicare, floss, waterpik gumline, then rinse with flouride mouthwash. I do the sonicare in the morning and before bed. During the day anytime I eat I brush with manual tooth brush, use interdental picks for the spaces and rinse with mouthwash.
50 year old kid at heart

My story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44406

Debraced 2/25/14 WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Leebie3

#8 Post by Leebie3 »

MORNING: toothbrush designed for orthodontic and normal toothpaste, brush teeth taking extra care around brackets and back teeth, brush tongue.

NIGHT: floss, mouthwash (non alcohol based otherwise it hurts like a b***)

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

LyraM45

#9 Post by LyraM45 »

I just posted on my blog the other day about this stuff. I swear, I feel like I do a better job keeping up with the maintenance and cleaning more than I did without braces. I really hate the feeling of crud all over my teeth, and after every meal with braces.... well, you feel like you have a ton of crud in your teeth, and forced to go clean them. Generally, my routine is:

Morning: Use a waterpik type device that is installed in my shower. Brush with my sonicare.

Afternoon/eve after a meal: Floss, brush with a regular tooth brush, and take a little proxy brush to clean around the brackets and in between teeth.

Eve/night: Use airfloss, brush with sonicare.

I have been fanatical about keeping everything tidy. I've had bad gum problems with deep pockets in the past, and I do not want any reason for things to go south with the braces on-- especially if it means it may threaten getting my jaw surgery done.

NeilH

#10 Post by NeilH »

I clean my teeth with a regular toothbrush in the morning, and after all food and snacks throughout the day. Then in the evening, retire to the bathroom for a long and thorough cleaning which involves regular brushing to get started, using a variety of different sized inter-dental brushes to get in and around the brackets, electric toothbrush for a thorough clean then finally mouthwash.

TheCarDoctor

#11 Post by TheCarDoctor »

At night: brush, interdental brush, floss, mouthwash,

Morning and after eating I just regular brush.

BraceFace2o1o

#12 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Brush then floss. Used to use mouthwash after flossing but haven't used any for ages.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

Godnosc

#13 Post by Godnosc »

Lots of good ideas in this thread, I'll be stealing some of them to improve my own routine :). I brush twice a day (I also only eat twice a day) with a Colgate Ortho brush, followed by cleaning between and around the brackets with the interdental brush, and then (night time only) I floss. At night I use a fluoride rinse my ortho gave me.

My orthodontist also gave me the Sonicare AirFloss by SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM to use, but I'm paranoid about the force of the water knocking a bracket off. Am I just being silly?

asag

#14 Post by asag »

This may be a dumb question but do I need to use an interdental brush if I use a sonicare toothbrush with an ortho head. When I brush, I brush (1) angled toward the gums to the extent I can, (2) angled toward away from the gums and toward the brackets on one side, and (3) angled toward the brackets on the opposite side. Is interdental brushing on top of that necessary? I want to be thorough and do whatever it takes to avoid gum disease or white spots, but I also don't want to go overboard...

agrace90

#15 Post by agrace90 »

Water pik, floss,waterpik tooth brush(crest 3D white), 3D white mouthwash(some nights). I only brush in the morning, then brush with manual brush after meals. Works really well for me and whenever I go in they say they look great.