Have you changed the size and/or shape of your teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CountessDeSangre

Have you changed the size and/or shape of your teeth?

#1 Post by CountessDeSangre »

My questions is for any adult who has ever had their orthodontist change their teeth either by filing or shaving or whatever the process is called. How did you feel about the appearance of your teeth afterwards? Love it? Hate it? Couldn't live without it? Regret it?

More importantly is there anyone who had their teeth shaved in their mid20s or so and are currently older. How did it stand up to time? Whether you're in your 30s, 40s or 50s I am interested in hearing how this process affected you.

My Blog: http://metalmouthmisfit.blogspot.com/

Candyland

Re: Have you changed the size and/or shape of your teeth?

#2 Post by Candyland »

I was just about to post a similar question :) I have been looking at all the beautiful pictures of others teeth when their braces come of and it seems they are so straight and "squared up" at the ends. My teeth are all kind of rounded at the end so I wasn't sure if this is how they are going to be left after braces or if my ortho would do some type of reshaping.

owab

#3 Post by owab »

I'm far from getting my braces off but I've noticed my two front teeth are not shaped the same at the bottom. My younger brother got braces in his mid 20's and had his teeth shaped when his braces came off and he has a beautiful smile, he also had massive crowding and barely smiled growing up. I feel a little apprehensive in getting mine shaped for fear they wont look natural.

CountessDeSangre

#4 Post by CountessDeSangre »

Candyland wrote:I was just about to post a similar question :) I have been looking at all the beautiful pictures of others teeth when their braces come of and it seems they are so straight and "squared up" at the ends. My teeth are all kind of rounded at the end so I wasn't sure if this is how they are going to be left after braces or if my ortho would do some type of reshaping.
Yes! That is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm so frightened. There's not a lot that you hear about the repercussions of reshaping your own teeth. All I know is that it's irreversible. Once it's gone it's not coming back, no way no how! But my own teeth are so funny, they have double points (my ortho calls them dimples), they are large on top and small on bottom, heck one of them is chipped but god alone knows when or how that happened...
owab wrote:I'm far from getting my braces off but I've noticed my two front teeth are not shaped the same at the bottom. My younger brother got braces in his mid 20's and had his teeth shaped when his braces came off and he has a beautiful smile, he also had massive crowding and barely smiled growing up. I feel a little apprehensive in getting mine shaped for fear they wont look natural.
I feel the same but I'm still seriously considering it. I mean I've paid so much to have them straighten it might as well make it look nice right? By any chance do you know if your brother is experiencing any problems relating to the shaping?

Timetoshine

#5 Post by Timetoshine »

Will watch this thread with interest!

My slanted front tooth is now coming into line, but is slightly lower than my other front tooth - thinking they may have to file it to get it lined up with the rest. Canines are slightly pointed top and bottom so 'hoping' they will file these, the 'black triangle' as it is known is between front teeth as well...

Do they do this part way through treatment, or at the end??
[/url]

CountessDeSangre

#6 Post by CountessDeSangre »

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they do this towards the end after everything else is aligned. Not sure though…

psily

#7 Post by psily »

Would this cost extra, or would it be part of your braces treatment?
30 years old
Top braces on: 5/17/2013
Bottom braces on: 10/15/2013
Treatment time: 18 months
Debrace date: 11/28/2014!

Timetoshine

#8 Post by Timetoshine »

I have been advised that when the time comes that the filing/shaping is part of the cost, but I think it depends on your agreement with your ortho in individual cases. I need to get some 'filling/caps' done too on my incisors that are very pointy, and it covers that also.
[/url]

Toothfairyy

#9 Post by Toothfairyy »

I had the edges on some of my incisors in the lower part of the mouth filed a bit, simply to make more room for them. I can't see the difference, but I can feel it a bit with my tongue. I can see, however, that there is more room now, the teeth have aligned..

JeniK

#10 Post by JeniK »

I am getting my braces on Aug 6th. Before I go to the orthodontics office...I have an appointment at my regular dentist. He said he is going polish/shape my front teeth abit , he said he can even them out a bit real easy. I have some teeth on the bottom that are sort of worn. He is going to build them up. I forget the term he used. Both Dr. agree to have this done right before braces are put on....meaning they both want it the same day. It is all just slight adjustments they said.
My concern is...will this last after my braces come off? Fingers are crossed ...but I have total faith in both doctors to do what is best! :D

owab

#11 Post by owab »

CountessDeSangre

He doesn't seem to be having any problems and it's been almost 4yrs since having it done. His teeth were only shaped along the bottom, he didn't need to have them narrowed as he had extractions.

Timetoshine

#12 Post by Timetoshine »

JeniK wrote:I am getting my braces on Aug 6th. Before I go to the orthodontics office...I have an appointment at my regular dentist. He said he is going polish/shape my front teeth abit , he said he can even them out a bit real easy. I have some teeth on the bottom that are sort of worn. He is going to build them up. I forget the term he used. Both Dr. agree to have this done right before braces are put on....meaning they both want it the same day. It is all just slight adjustments they said.
My concern is...will this last after my braces come off? Fingers are crossed ...but I have total faith in both doctors to do what is best! :D
JeniK - I have already had my incisors built up - and that was approx 20 years ago (when I was a teenager), amazingly enough, I haven't needed anymore work done on these teeth until now, so it has lasted well!! He could hardly tell that it had been done until I pointed it out. The ortho said he would file them back and replace to make them all nice again :)
[/url]

zdenka

#13 Post by zdenka »

My orthodontist also implied today that some filing down is to be done. I think I am gonna say no to that when the time comes, unless it is the lower teeth. I want my teeth straight and I don't think the shape will affect the treatment. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it but I am feeling strongly against the filing stuff right now.
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013

CountessDeSangre

#14 Post by CountessDeSangre »

zdenka wrote:My orthodontist also implied today that some filing down is to be done. I think I am gonna say no to that when the time comes, unless it is the lower teeth. I want my teeth straight and I don't think the shape will affect the treatment. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it but I am feeling strongly against the filing stuff right now.
Any particular reason why? Do you think it may be damaging?

zdenka

#15 Post by zdenka »

CountessDeSangre wrote:
zdenka wrote:My orthodontist also implied today that some filing down is to be done. I think I am gonna say no to that when the time comes, unless it is the lower teeth. I want my teeth straight and I don't think the shape will affect the treatment. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it but I am feeling strongly against the filing stuff right now.
Any particular reason why? Do you think it may be damaging?
I don't know why. I don't the like the square look some have after the filing . I have been checking co-worker's teeth (they think I am nuts btw). I wouldn't mind some gentle filing but definitely not going for the square look. My appointment is in 3 days so I will see what she has to say.

Edited to add: I also see it as damaging to the teeth. I might be completely wrong of course but still...
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013