No bracket on last molars?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

asag

No bracket on last molars?

#1 Post by asag »

Hi everyone. I tried searching this topic and couldn't find anything (maybe I'm not using the right terms). Anyway, I just got my braces on last week and my ortho didn't put brackets on the last molars, top and bottom. I mentioned something to the assistant and she said that they might go on later.

Does anyone know why I wouldn't have those teeth bracketed as well? And what would be the reason for them going on later?

I know I should've asked the ortho or assistant when I was there but I was so distracted by everything else....

paulas1

Re: No bracket on last molars?

#2 Post by paulas1 »

I don't have them either!

jrk7382

#3 Post by jrk7382 »

Me neither

Godnosc

#4 Post by Godnosc »

I got braced on the top today and don't have brackets on my second or third molars (I don't know if the same will happen when my lowers are braced). IIRC my ortho said that the roots are too short and that the wisdom teeth are very rarely touched. She said second molars could be done if needed, but she doesn't feel mine require it.

Anna5

#5 Post by Anna5 »

I also have no brackets on my last molars!

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

I have brackets on my last molars, but they aren't attached to the wire. My ortho said they'll be attached later on in the process.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

nellarmonia

#7 Post by nellarmonia »

I'm two weeks in and I'm not braced on my last molars either. My ortho did say I would be eventually, but "we have some work to do in the front first" so maybe that is your dr's strategy too.

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara »

I got brackets on my top 2nd molars (3rd molars/wisdom teeth were removed a few years back) about 4 months into treatment. I bot my bottom brackets on in March but don't have the 2nd molars (wisdom teeth removed last year) bracketed yet but I should be getting them on next Thursday. I think my ortho said I would have molar bands on them too. I already have molar bands on my 1st molars because I have porcelain fillings in them.
I have no idea why these teeth are banded later than others but would like to know.

kathydell

#9 Post by kathydell »

I have them on the top but not the bottom. I can tell they will go on the bottom at some point just by what I see so far.

asag

#10 Post by asag »

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better. I thought maybe my ortho was maybe taking some sort of shortcut. At my next appt, I'll ask her and see what she says about her strategy and post if I learn anything interesting. :D

MaryLiz75

#11 Post by MaryLiz75 »

I don't have them on my last molars either. My Ortho gave no indication that they would ever be bracketed, but my case isn't complicated by bite issues.

rhibee83

#12 Post by rhibee83 »

i dont have brackets on my back molars either, I am under the impression I will never have them. No idea how those teeth become straight though but I am assuming my ortho knows! haha!

Toothfairyy

#13 Post by Toothfairyy »

I don't have them either.

Aerynia

#14 Post by Aerynia »

I don't have brackets on two of my last molars either, I think it's pretty common!

I have a slight crossbite on one side, and had one lower last molar on that same side that needed to be tilted upwards (it was tipped lingually) and once that had been straightened the ortho did bond a bracket and attach it to the archwire. He also bonded a bracket to the upper last molar on that side.

If I hadn't had a crossbite on the one side then none of my last molars would have been bracketed :)

Ciara

#15 Post by Ciara »

I got brackets on my 2nd molars (no wisdom teeth) today. Good news is they are tiny. Much smaller than the ones on my first molars.