Unable to eat

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ollielooe

Unable to eat

#1 Post by Ollielooe »

Does anybody find yourself unable to eat as your bottom teeth touch the top teeth blocks
When chewing, therefore eating food is impossible?

owab

Re: Unable to eat

#2 Post by owab »

New to the braced world as well. Eating is slow as I have a bite turbo behind my front tooth. I can only chew, although barely, with my back right molars. I'm surprised I don't choke more as I feel I swallow more food than I chew :(

Timetoshine

#3 Post by Timetoshine »

Yes - this is quite normal for a lot of 'braced people' I think.

Soft foods, ones that do not need much chewing is the way to go. I used to tear/cut food into tiny pieces, and pieces I could squash onto the top of my mouth and then swallow. Without realizing I was soon (i.e. a few weeks) able to chew using my back molars (they are not braced as yet) and thats it. Front teeth still quite weird feeling so not using them for eating yet.
[/url]

Ollielooe

#4 Post by Ollielooe »

Thank you it's very strange at the moment will just take time to get used to it I suppose.

xanidu2012

#5 Post by xanidu2012 »

Only after adjustments (7/1/13) on soft foods now and will be for next few days. But its all good. 8)

safetysquirrel

#6 Post by safetysquirrel »

Hey owab, how are you getting along with the bite turbo? Are you lisping?

owab

#7 Post by owab »

Safetysquirrel I'm actually not lisping, I think I stumble on some words in conversation because of the brackets more than the turbo bite. Its just annoying and my tongue is never at full rest. Saw my Ortho today and found out I will have it for at least 8 months. He said because of my bite, it keeps my teeth separated so that my back molars can shift closer together. I can actually see/feel the difference in my bite when I close my teeth together.

Toothfairyy

#8 Post by Toothfairyy »

Ollielooe wrote:Does anybody find yourself unable to eat as your bottom teeth touch the top teeth blocks
When chewing, therefore eating food is impossible?
How long time have you had the braces?

I have that problem too. That was my biggest concern in the beginning! Thought that I wouldn't be able to eat untill my upper and lower teeth could meet properly. Now I'm 3 weeks in, and it's getting better, but I still don't have a normal bite at all - my lower incisors touch the brackets on top (I have lingual braces on top). But I have found out that it's doesn't prevent me from chewing at all. With most food, the teeth doesn't have to meet to be able to chew. I just chew carefully and only eat food that doesn't have to be chewed that much.