eating after extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Toothfairyy

eating after extraction

#1 Post by Toothfairyy »

When and how did you do this? I had 2 premolars removed on top yesterday. I'm afraid of eating solid food today, because what if something gets stuck in the holes?? :(

djspeece

Re: eating after extraction

#2 Post by djspeece »

What was your dentist's post-op guidance on swishing and brushing? I would think that swishing would be prohibited for the first 24 hours or so in order to let a clot form and properly harden. General guidance from my experience is to avoid using a straw or spitting, keep a guaze pad in place as directed, and after the first post-op day use salt water rinses every 4 hours or so and after eating to cleanse the area, and avoid aggressive swishing.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Helly

#3 Post by Helly »

I've had 2 out today, the numbing is only just going thank god! I'm on soup as scared to eat solids. My mouth has only just stopped bleeding. I got told to use salt water after 24hrs and to avoid hot drinks and alcohol today. You might be best with something soft and not too small to get stuck!

rhibee83

#4 Post by rhibee83 »

I had four pre molars out and only ate stuff that didn;t have "bits" in it. Like plain custard and plain vanilla yoghurt, i had icecream (lots of it lol) and also when i got brave scrambled eggs, just eating in small bites swalling whole. they were amazing at the time lol.
i also drank protein shakes. but pretty much lived on custard and yoghurt OH and KFC mash potato and gravy for about a week and half until my dentist said i could eat normal food lol.

You will be fine, it is scary to think about food going in the holes, but you will be fine if you stick to smooth plain food for a bit. if you are worried anyway :)

Toothfairyy

#5 Post by Toothfairyy »

djspeece wrote:What was your dentist's post-op guidance on swishing and brushing? I would think that swishing would be prohibited for the first 24 hours or so in order to let a clot form and properly harden. General guidance from my experience is to avoid using a straw or spitting, keep a guaze pad in place as directed, and after the first post-op day use salt water rinses every 4 hours or so and after eating to cleanse the area, and avoid aggressive swishing.
Thanks for your reply! He actually didn't mention it at all. He just said that I couldn't eat or drink for 2 hours, and that's it. I haven't been told to clean the area, perhaps because it was an uncomplicated extraction of rather small teeth. They didn't have to be operated out, just extracted..

Toothfairyy

#6 Post by Toothfairyy »

Helly wrote:I've had 2 out today, the numbing is only just going thank god! I'm on soup as scared to eat solids. My mouth has only just stopped bleeding. I got told to use salt water after 24hrs and to avoid hot drinks and alcohol today. You might be best with something soft and not too small to get stuck!
How are you today? I'm still on a liquid diet, but I'm getting crazy from it :D But still scared to eat solid food..

Toothfairyy

#7 Post by Toothfairyy »

rhibee83 wrote:I had four pre molars out and only ate stuff that didn;t have "bits" in it. Like plain custard and plain vanilla yoghurt, i had icecream (lots of it lol) and also when i got brave scrambled eggs, just eating in small bites swalling whole. they were amazing at the time lol.
i also drank protein shakes. but pretty much lived on custard and yoghurt OH and KFC mash potato and gravy for about a week and half until my dentist said i could eat normal food lol.

You will be fine, it is scary to think about food going in the holes, but you will be fine if you stick to smooth plain food for a bit. if you are worried anyway :)
Thank you :thumbsup: So your dentist said that only after 1½ week, you could eat normal food?? I was told that I could eat normally already from the day after. This must be something dentists worldwide don't agree on :) Or maybe the extractions were different. Mine went really uncomplicated and it stopped bleeding quite fast.

BriaP

#8 Post by BriaP »

I had two bicuspids extracted yesterday afternoon. I had eggs and potatoes for breakfast yesterday morning, but since then, I have only eaten a small jar of applesauce and half a pudding cup. In my lunch bag I have applesauce, a small jar of baby sweet potatoes, jello, and pudding. That should get me through the work day.
I really don’t want to eat anything because I’m so afraid of losing my blood clots!
Maybe I will run out and get a smoothie because my body is craving protein. At least I can eat that with a spoon.

MissPennyLane

#9 Post by MissPennyLane »

I just started eating solid food few days ago and I got my extractions about two weeks ago. It's pretty uncomfortable and I was really paranoid about getting food caught in the holes. You'll see a drastic increase with the healing around day 7. Stick with the mashed potatoes, apple sauce and soup and just shove it in the back of your mouth to swallow. The salt water rinses will help with the healing too. Good luck!

Ciara

#10 Post by Ciara »

I had 2 wisdom teeth and one premolar removed last summer. I was told to avoid foods with small seeds, like poppy seeds, for the 1st week or so but apart from that, I could eat normally. One wisdom tooth was a surgical extraction and my premolar broke under the gum line so became a surgical extraction too. I was eating a pretty much normal diet (but eating very slowly) within 3-4 days after the surgical extractions and within 2 days for the normal extraction.

joeyyeo

#11 Post by joeyyeo »

I had 4 premolars extracted as well, simple extractions, but done in 2 sessions with a week in between. The only advice my ortho and dentist gave me was no fried food, because of the hardness and the sharp edges that could potentially irritate the blood clot.
Upper braces off after 636 days!

Timetoshine

#12 Post by Timetoshine »

Hi - great advice posted here from others - brings back memories ;)

I had 4 premolars removed on the same day as my braces were fitted on April 12th

I survived on jelly and scrambled eggs for the first 2-3 days and was very very careful with the way I ate them - I would describe it best by saying I would put tiny pieces of food in the very back of my mouth and swallow it whole! Then after 2-3 days I was managing to 'squash' it on the roof of my mouth with my tongue and swallow it from there (slightly larger pieces of food!). It was a while before I was chewing on my molars as I also had the blue build up material on my molars to stop my top teeth hitting lower braces.

I rinsed my mouth out very carefully - more like just letting salt water move around my mouth by tilting my head. I was very careful not to dislodge any blood clot in the extraction sites as I had read this was not good. No teeth brushing for the first day - just rinsing, and then after that I was very careful not to brush near the extraction site.

Hope it is all going well for you and the worst is over, its not a pleasant few days, but it is definitely worth it. :-*
[/url]