Bite after getting braces / breaks

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason

Bite after getting braces / breaks

#1 Post by Jason »

Hi,

Is it normal for your bite to feel different after getting braced? Today I had Damon 3 braces added to my bottom teeth (already had them on top), and after I left the office, it felt and looked like I couldn't quite bite down all the way anymore.

About 3 hours later, I tried to eat a soft turkey sandwich, but the two brackets furthest in the back of my mouth broke off. I called the office and they said to not worry about it because these last 2 brackets were not connected to the archwire (I assume they put them there to use elastics later or something). But after my bite feeling weird and the brackets coming off, I'm wondering if that means they messed up putting them on? I'm concerned because now it feels like my bite is a little higher on the right side than on the left, due to one of the wired brackets. Thanks.

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hi Jason! Yeah, that's normal because the braces are moving your teeth every which way in order to help them become straighter. Sort of like those puzzles where there's only one empty square, and you have to slide all the pieces around in order to put only ONE in place? When I first got braces my bite felt really wonky, but it eventually got better. good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Jason

#3 Post by Jason »

Hey,

Thanks, I understand what you mean. Only thing is though, my bite feels different immediately after getting the braces on, before the teeth have had a chance to move. I think I must be biting down slightly on one of the brackets, I wonder if that's normal...

Jason

#4 Post by Jason »

One other thing..I was just trying to floss and noticed that I could no longer get inbetween 2 of my teeth. What the heck? Finally figured out that it's apparently because some of the glue from the brackets got between there and it's hardened. Umm..anyone else had this experience? I mean, it's REALLY hard, I have a dental pick but can't get it out :(

secretagent437

same thing

#5 Post by secretagent437 »

That's happened to me. I just kind of brushed it off. I hope nothing bad is going on under it!
Joe

TuZZi

#6 Post by TuZZi »

I just got braced yesterday, and had to go back 6 hours later and get a bracket removed because one of my front teeth was hitting it when I tried to bite. My ortho removed it, eventhough he didn't want to, and now I can bite down a lot farther than before, but now my front tooth hits another bracket on the bottom as well.

I also have the glue all over my teeth, and inbetween my front teeth as well. I haven't even tried to floss yet... my ortho said not to even try for a few days since my teeth were pretty crowded to begin with, and the spacers made them ultra-sensitive.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

Jason wrote:Hey,

Thanks, I understand what you mean. Only thing is though, my bite feels different immediately after getting the braces on, before the teeth have had a chance to move. I think I must be biting down slightly on one of the brackets, I wonder if that's normal...
I had the same experience and it has all worked out fine for me. It just takes time.

Just that little bit of pressure immediately after having braces bonded on my teeth moved them enough to cause my bite to be goofy. Also, I had an upper molar hitting a lower bracket. It wasn't a problem (other than stopping me from biting down) until I sneezed really hard one day and bit that s-ucker off! :shock:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Attagirl2

#8 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. I remember getting out of the chair after they first put them on. I looked in the mirror walked out to make my next appointment and then turned right around and went back in and asked the assistant about my teeth not touching at all in back. She said that was normal and that it would change soon. By the end of the evening, things had shifted enough for some of my back teeth to meet.

So I would say, yes what you are experiencing is normal...

Best wishes on your journey.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

usa1

#9 Post by usa1 »

All of my upper teeth hit the bottom brackets with the exception of the 2 front teeth. After 6 weeks the only ones that still hit are the 2 back molars. They did not wire my 2 back bottom molars but put brackets on them. When they changed my wire the first time they wired everything back. I have no idea why they stopped the wire short of the back molars to start with. My bite did change and has gotten 2mm worse (overbite). The ortho and oral surgen both told me this would happen prior to jaw surgery. I still cant eat the same as before braces you just have to adapt. Dont worry it is all part of the process. Good luck.
Braces July 26 2005
Treatment time 24 months
Damon 3's top Damon 2's bottom

Jason

#10 Post by Jason »

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better now :).

ZackManinja

Re:

#11 Post by ZackManinja »

[quote="Jason"]Hey,

Thanks, I understand what you mean. Only thing is though, my bite feels different immediately after getting the braces on, before the teeth have had a chance to move. I think I must be biting down slightly on one of the brackets, I wonder if that's normal...[/quote]

DUDE me too i just got one today and guess what I felt like i was biting on one of my brackets. Later on, I ate something and guess what I was right and what happened is that it broke off on my first soft bite!!!! Do i cut the wire?