new braces pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

FrostedAlyssa

new braces pain

#1 Post by FrostedAlyssa »

Ok so i just found your website and i couldnt be happier this is my 2nd full day of having braces and this is my secind time having them and i have to have then for a year to fix a class two. And when i take a pain reliever my teeth dont hurt verry much but i have to have rubber bands stretching from my bottom back teeth to the top canines on both sides and it rubs on my cheeks and its really painfull i jave to wear them 24/7 and i dont know how to ease the pain. Also when i try to eat my molers dont touch and thar makes it really uncomfortable to eat whar can i do about that? Please answer i am on so much pain.
Thanks..:-D

Lolasays

Re: new braces pain

#2 Post by Lolasays »

You will find the braces painful/ uncomfortable at first. Give it a week. if it still hurts speal to your orthodontist.

I wor braces 4 years ago and had similar issues.

Ciara

#3 Post by Ciara »

Give it some time. It should get better with time. I don't have elastics yet this time but when I had them as a teenager, I found them very annoying but I did eventually get used to them.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Cheek pain is perfectly normal; the soft tissues there just aren't used to the pointy metal objects now rubbing them.

There are several ways to reduce the pain: You can coat the pointy bits with orthodontic wax, which your orthodontist should have given you (or can give you if you ask.) You can use OTC oral medications like Rincinol, Gly-Oxide, or Ora-Gel to help with the pain.

- Rincinol (which may have to be special-ordered by a drugstore) will coat the irritated spots, helping them heal (I used it at night when I first got braces.)
- Gly-Oxide (or generic) is a Carbamide Peroxide solution that will debride the irritated spots, promoting healing.
- Ora-Gel (or generic) is a 'caine anesthetic that will deaden the nerves.

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

I had the same situation; I didn't use wax or any rinses. I found that eating cold foods was soothing, such as ice-cold sorbet, frozen yogurt, frapuccinos, anything cold and smooth that you can get your hands on to get you through those first weeks.