URGENT! is it ok to leave a tooth unbracketed?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

icantsmilewithoutu

URGENT! is it ok to leave a tooth unbracketed?

#1 Post by icantsmilewithoutu »

i'm so darn pissed with my dentist!
the bracket on my last tooth in my bottom set of teeth
has dropped out and when i requested for my dentist
to replace it, the stupid receptionist refused to replace it
as the dentist is very busy. is it ok to leave a tooth unbracketed
until my next adjustment which is 1 mth later? (8oct)
im having damons 2 by the way.
pls help! im afraid it may affect the progress of my teeth.

fins

#2 Post by fins »

I think you should speak with your ortho directly.
fins

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

I agree with fins. If your back tooth isn't straight, it could bump your progress back weeks, or even months.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

It will probably make some difference, but not that much since it is the last tooth. It happens. I lost one of my back ones and had to wait two weeks...
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

peanut

#5 Post by peanut »

Hello,

One of the kids in my youth group was scheduled to get her braces of last week, but due to a bracket that loosened up half-way through the last month, she wasn't able to get her braces off, because that tooth moved out of place.

If you are nearing the end of your treatment, it might be a concern, but if you have a while to go, then your orthodontist may still have time to move it without losing any of the progress you have already made.

If it were me, I think I would call again, and speak to the receptionist about your concerns, and see what she says then, and if necessary, ask to speak to the orthodontist.

I hope everything turns out ok...
peanut
Braced: September 23, 2004
Surgery: September 13, 2005

mslinda70

#6 Post by mslinda70 »

The same thing happened to me, i got my braceson Monday and about 5 hours after i left my bracket on a back tooth came off, i had just had a root canal done on that tooth so i called my ortho and they told me to come right in, the next day 3 more came off 2 also root canals, called ortho told me to come right in. So im thinking maybe you shouldnt wait, just call the ortho back and just ask will it effect your treatment. My ortho is the best, they always tell me if i have any problems to just call

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

Teeth usually move very slowly. Personally, I don't think it will hamper your progress if you have to wait a few weeks, especially since its the last tooth. Its happened to me.

But, you should call your ortho to tell him and let him make the decision.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007